Date: 19-04-24  Time: 07:42 am

Author Topic: Help and suggestions: fix cracks in abs plastic  (Read 1342 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Help and suggestions: fix cracks in abs plastic
« on: 22 June 2022, 08:23:54 pm »
So like all my previous fazers, my latest has the same damn annoying issue with the plastic cracking next to the mounting holes. We have all run into this problem, but due to the scarcity of the parts (in this instance only one infill for my 2007 FZ1 in all of Yamaha Europe) and that was before Brexit/Covid I am looking for an alternative way of repairing cracks on the infill on my FZ1.

So have tried epoxy resin, but its just too brittle. I had considerd plastic weld, but don't know if that will work as some of the ABS plastic on the infill is only 2-3mm thick. So my next idea/plan is to try fine fibre glass mesh on/around the affected area.

Would like/welcome some other suggestions.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2022, 08:31:34 pm by b1k3rdude »

characticus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Help and suggestions: fix cracks in abs plastic
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2022, 09:09:27 pm »
I used gauze bandage and epoxy laminating resin. Easier to work with than glass fibre and plenty strong enough once laminated. Lasted till I sold the bike.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2022, 08:06:25 am »
I've heard of a trick involving superglue and baking powder, I think the trick is to vee the crack a bit and fill with the powder then flood with superglue, it's supposed to bulk it up and cure it almost instantly, I've never tried it so research thoroughly before ruining your plastics.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2022, 08:12:32 am »
use a soldering iron on the back to "weld" it back together then the front just needs repainting to hide the remnants of the crack.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2022, 11:17:43 am »
I've heard of a trick involving superglue and baking powder, I think the trick is to vee the crack a bit and fill with the powder then flood with superglue, it's supposed to bulk it up and cure it almost instantly
There are proper kits (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Bond-QB2-Strong-Adhesive-Repair/dp/B002XF4S6C) that use this method and come with some kind of powder. Strong but a ridged, inflexible repair.
use a soldering iron on the back to "weld" it back together then the front just needs repainting to hide the remnants of the crack.
Heard of this and there are proper kits for this that come with metal staples you melt into the plastic across the crack. Both methods create a ridged, inflexible repair.

But just came across this - https://easyabsrepair.com/

And then these DIY methods that melts the plastic chemical to melt/weld a thin ABS plastic washer to both sides of the mounting holes -

-www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIoxWJ8lyyA
-www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LoMJGfhzg
« Last Edit: 23 June 2022, 11:31:28 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2022, 11:25:02 am »
I used gauze bandage and epoxy laminating resin. Easier to work with than glass fibre and plenty strong enough once laminated. Lasted till I sold the bike.
Got some links to the epoxy laminating resin? and how flexible was the repair..?

characticus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2022, 05:10:11 pm »
Got some links to the epoxy laminating resin? and how flexible was the repair..?
It would have been epoxy from West systems (which I had to hand for boat repairs at the time).

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2022, 08:25:56 pm »
I've heard of a trick involving superglue and baking powder,

If you're going to try this, use a decent quality superglue as it doesn't work well with Pound Shop version (I know, I tried it...)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2022, 01:55:42 pm »
I've heard of a trick involving superglue and baking powder,

If you're going to try this, use a decent quality superglue as it doesn't work well with Pound Shop version (I know, I tried it...)

Or was it a dodgy batch baking powder or even baking powder being used instead of  bicarb  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

mechanical music

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - yamaha xj600 diversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2022, 09:13:36 am »
ive had very good success just with a soldering iron and a piece of matching abs, and then bought abs plastic welding rods

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2022, 03:45:46 pm »
ive had very good success just with a soldering iron and a piece of matching abs, and then bought abs plastic welding rods
I have started researching this, as there are £60 kits that melt the plastic and put a metal stable across the joint/crack giving it better tensile strength.