Date: 18-04-24  Time: 22:04 pm

Author Topic: Wemoto have suffered a data breach  (Read 1414 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Wemoto have suffered a data breach
« on: 16 December 2021, 07:33:43 am »
"Dear Customer,

At Worlds End Motorcycles Ltd, we respect the privacy of your personal data, which is why we are writing to let you know about a data security incident that potentially involves some of your personal data. This does not include any card or payment information as we never store these details.

On Dec 10th, 2021, we were made aware of a potential breach of the data that we hold with our service provider. The data accessed may have included the following types of personal information:

- Email address, first and last name

We deeply regret that this incident occurred. We are fully investigating the issue with our Service Provider to ensure that no such breach can occur in the future.

We have implemented additional security measures designed to prevent future attacks and to protect your personal information and the privacy of our customers. You do not need to take any action following this email.

Sincerely
The Worlds End Group"

This is exactly why I DO NOT let businesses keep my card details, but for good measure I have removed my postal address from the account and reset my password.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Wemoto have suffered a data breach
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2021, 11:54:27 am »
I got the same thing, although, because I own my own domain, I can use meaningful email addresses, so theirs would be wemoto@mydomain and I can always change the address and filter any spam sent to the old one.

If your card details are compromised by a data breach, you're not liable for any losses, because it wasn't you who were careless or negligent with them, the only hassle would be getting new cards.

PCI-DSS standards are actually very strict when it comes to storing card details, so any company that does is going to have some serious questions to answer from the card processors!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2021, 02:43:23 pm »

PCI-DSS standards are actually very strict when it comes to storing card details, so any company that does is going to have some serious questions to answer from the card processors!

:agree

Normally any card details stored in the databases are encrypted so even a system admin cannot log in a see the details. You can only unencrypt the details if your using the right application with the correct "key". Even call recordings where you give the details are paused so as to not actually record those details.
It is very rare for real card details to be obtained any way other than you handing them over.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2021, 10:05:23 am »
It is very rare for real card details to be obtained any way other than you handing them over.
Doesn't explain why CC leaks keep happening, another example -

- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/credit-card-info-of-18-million-people-stolen-from-sports-gear-sites/
« Last Edit: 18 December 2021, 10:06:00 am by b1k3rdude »

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2021, 09:16:22 pm »
"..... This does not include any card or payment information as we never store these details." Surely this should provide some reassurance ?Rob

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2022, 09:15:26 pm »
Wemoto are within driving distance for me so fortunately I am not affected by the breach, but in all honesty although they have a good range of stock they are not my first choice for spares, often you have to wait a week for oem parts and just as often the pattern parts are substandard if the actually fit at all that is
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄