Date: 01-05-24  Time: 00:18 am

Author Topic: Tempted to get an FZS1000 for motorway/commuting duties, but have questions.  (Read 25780 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Considered a ZX-9R?

Very similar to a 1050 really - just doesn't have a centre stand, and can't take hard panniers as standard!

Big tank, comfy position, decent fairing. Seat a little hard, but I can do 150 odd miles quite easily before a bit of numb bum sets in!

Much better engine, brakes and suspension.

Only thing it does really lose out on is pillion comfort, it's generally a bit old school now, and valve clearances are quite frequent - although after about 30k miles you can start alternating them if you're not riding hard as they stop wearing in

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Considered a ZX-9R?

Very similar to a 1050 really - just doesn't have a centre stand, and can't take hard panniers as standard!

Big tank, comfy position, decent fairing. Seat a little hard, but I can do 150 odd miles quite easily before a bit of numb bum sets in!

Only thing it does really lose out on is pillion comfort, it's generally a bit old school now, and valve clearances are quite frequent - although after about 30k miles you can start alternating them if you're not riding hard as they stop wearing in

That riding position REALLY puts me off. I can't manage sporty bars, bad wrists and back. I need something fairly upright.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Considered a ZX-9R?

That riding position REALLY puts me off. I can't manage sporty bars, bad wrists and back. I need something fairly upright.

You'd probably best not look at the VFR, Blackbird or 1050 either then fella - unless you budget for bar risers?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
You could always buy a Smart car with a Fazer 1000 engine conversion :lol

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Nooo..don't... I fear i'll have to switch to a car in a few short years if my hearing keeps getting this bad so fast... I hate driving cars. I'd 'become' traffic.

Risers: yep. Those are generally a thing i use.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
Do you actually need more power than a 600 if your going to be using the bike mostly for commuting?
Maybe a Transalp, TDM or similar would do the job and offer a little more weather protection, just a thought.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Do you actually need more power than a 600 if your going to be using the bike mostly for commuting?
Maybe a Transalp, TDM or similar would do the job and offer a little more weather protection, just a thought.

what you probably mean is more torque!

I would suggest a TDM, or a Breva 1100 with a screen and hand guards from the stelvio,

actually a Breva is a great choice, with huge amount of torque, comfort and interesting to ride at any speed!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Versys 650?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
TDM is sooooo boring you can almost fall asleep on it. Got shut of mine after only 3 months, it bored the tits off me.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I am in the same boat as OP - and I susspect every Fazer owner will have to go thru this painful process of finding a bike that is at least as good as Fazer in all aspects. Goes to show how good these bike are really! :)

My commute is kinda same - approximately 50 miles each way, all year and I too would like something bigger, more powerful, more fun etc - but I can't find any other bike that will do it all as well as the Fazer while being so cheap to run & easy to fix.

Schuberth helmet, best ever.

Ive got an MRA adjustable screen on my gen2 and it is pants........raising the second screen thingy only makes it worse and actually ducking behind the scren also makes it worse strangely......forget sceens and buy the most sound oroof helmet you can get thats my advice.

+1. The MRA screen on Fazer + cheap Nitro helmet gave me a lot of hassle. I started hearing stuff (tinnitus) when I try to sleep and it was starting to really annoy me. I switched to Schuberth, and later on had to change the screen (it broke) to a cheap double bubble off eBay (which looks microscopic compared to MRA), and Howard Leight earplus every single time - and now I am completely converted and I would never compromise on helmet (good fit & aerodynamic = less drag, less turbulance and less noise) and good ear plugs. Screen is useful if it's a giant thing, if not, it should at least not be at that awkward height that it makes turbulent air around your helmet.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2015, 04:49:59 pm by positron »

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Current plan:

• Get the nose fairing etc back on the bike with a low screen so it hits my chest and avoids my head (still looking for that stuff... some places want over £300... not a chance)
  • Get a better helmet (HJC RPHA Max evo reviewed VERY well for noise reduction, and is in my price range)
I already have earplugs, and some new ones just arrived today which are a bit better.

Once i've settled into the new job, i can start saving for a better bike. FZS1000 is winning currently. But with more savings i can buy maybe a better bike. The rebuild of the front should sort me out for the foreseeable future.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
I do have a homemade touring screen, tall screen with adjustable flip at the top,,this is solely for the purpose of real wet rain,,yes over in europe they have WET rain, and lots of it,two years ago it rained from Calais to Mugello,two bloody days, i kept screen at its highest and it sent rain over me when i ducked,it was pissing it in someplaces,even all the cars STOPPED on the motorways as it was a couple of inches deep :lol

But if not raining it is kept in the low position,much quieter then.

So my advice is smart low screen and good waterproofs,neck tube and helmet.

Here is my gen2 and Nicks gen1 ,both quite low screens.

nick drive
nick drive

I have a bute of a low screen now,looks good too.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2015, 06:52:18 pm by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Look up !!! have you seen the gen1 in for sale section,,new on today
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Sorry for the blasphemy, but you should be looking at a Pan.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
A Pan? Depends on what kind of commute. If it's just M-Way, sure, but get them into central London and they're a pain. On the FZS, I go through gaps 125s and scooters can squeeze through and the Fazer has great steering lock for when it gets really sticky.

And again, what about the running costs? I'd hazard a guess that FZS1000s are the cheapest high performance bike you can run but how many miles would you expect to be on a £3000 Pan? Lots…. and a Fazer will do the same intergalactic mileage, probably better on fuel, tyres and servicing.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
I'm still pretty sure a FZS1000 would be a good option in the mid-term, but if finding bits for the FZS600 is any indication; I'm really going to be looking at bikes less than 10 years old maybe this time next year or the year after when i can have a bit of cash saved, and some time in the new job so i can qualify for finance.

In the mean time, i'm still trying to find the bits i need to get some wind protection at prices which are less of a joke.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
 :z

Anyone know anything about Bugatti Veyrons?

I am quite tempted to get one, except I dont have the money, new job and cant get finance.

Anyone know anything about Ford Fiestas, ..................................not for now but for a couple of years hence when I can get a Wonga loan.

:rolleyes

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
The ONLY reason I downsized from the FZS 1000 to the 600 was my diminishing strength/stamina. The Thou was without any shadow of doubt the best all-rounder motorcycle I have ever owned/ridden.
Issues like wind noise/earplugs can be dealt with by custom made ear plugs,the right helmet,experimenting with screen type/height.
Apart from carrying a bit more weight than the 600 with consequent slightly different approach to cornering, that 24 valve motor(especially if Ivanised) is an absolute joy. Fuel economy is down to you but I never found it excessively thirsty. Servicing is simple for the owner with reasonable skills and even the valve check was ok using advice from this forum. Spares are with a few exceptions plentiful.
Riding position is comfortable and can be adjusted to suit and you wont be bent over the tank like on some bikes.
The 01-05 FZS 1000 is currently one of the best bargains out there as many riders have been seduced away to monster trail type bikes.
Have a look on here as lovingly cared for examples come up for sale, often with the suspension mods/Ivanising already done. It is the type of bike that can be whatever you want it to be...trickle though traffic at 30  in 4th/5th gear without snatching and then when opportunity for overtake presents its all done in the blink of an eye-no fuss, no drama just power! Set Fazers for Fun!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
The Thou was without any shadow of doubt the best all-rounder motorcycle I have ever owned/ridden.

Yup it sure was a nice one  ;)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I am in the same boat as OP - and I susspect every Fazer owner will have to go thru this painful process of finding a bike that is at least as good as Fazer in all aspects. Goes to show how good these bike are really! :)

My commute is kinda same - approximately 50 miles each way, all year and I too would like something bigger, more powerful, more fun etc - but I can't find any other bike that will do it all as well as the Fazer while being so cheap to run & easy to fix.

ZX-9R, ZX-9R!  :lol

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile

ZX-9R, ZX-9R!  :lol

I did 40k on one of those. Agony after 75 miles. The relationship between bars, pegs and seat is completely wrong on that bike (well, it is for me). I was really starting to despise riding it because it hurt so much so I took a test ride on my FZS just for the hell of it and bought it on the spot. The FZS is a country mile more comfortable, once Ivanised just as fast, and I don't have to adjust the carbs every 6k to get rid of the horrific low end flat spots of the ZX9.

Now, a ZZR1400… that's a different kettle of fish, as comfy as the FZS, as simple to ride, as economical, worse for service costs, worse in town but who cares when you open the throttle.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Worse in town?
So not quite as good as a litre Fazer then :)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
that 24 valve motor(especially if Ivanised) is an absolute joy

:eek - I've been robbed !!
« Last Edit: 06 February 2015, 09:54:21 am by PieEater »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

:lol

At least valve clearance checks will be a bit quicker!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile

:lol

At least valve clearance checks will be a bit quicker!

Did not know Ivans modification increased the number of valves  :lol :lol