Date: 30-04-24  Time: 09:41 am

Author Topic: Tinkering  (Read 1535 times)

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Tinkering
« on: 14 October 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
On my Fazer 600 yr2000 model that I aquired 2months ago, it really sounds a bit tappety and more than I'd like.  Its done over 40k so I'm considering doing cam chain tensioner and tappets possibly replace the chain too.

What do you reckon is it major surgery for cam chain? Should I just do the tensioner and tappets? 

I've rebuilt a few modified A-series engines for minis in my time and have quite a bit of mechanical experience overall plus I have access to tools etc so not scared to open up the fazer motor.

I guess im seeking advice on the subject really and how long should a job like this take? Having not done it before.

At the end of the day I want to reduce the tappety noise

Cheers for any helpful advice
Gav
« Last Edit: 17 October 2013, 08:26:03 pm by Gav »
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tinketing
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2013, 07:10:28 pm »
Might be worth check the valve clearances but usually any "tappety" noise is the cam chain either stuck between adjustments or the chain needs replacing. At 40k it could lean to replacement chain time

There are a few topics on this on the forum already so a quick search should yeild some decent results (and a few pictures I believe). As for how long... depends on how you do it... most seem to opt for keeping the engine in situ and being very careful not to drop anything in to the crank case. Others like Deefer666 (and probably myself if I do the job) remove the engine and strip it down to do the job with an endless chain but this is much more involved. If you know what your doing then I reckon you could get the job done in a day if you don't remove the engine... but thats complete guesswork on my part

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tinketing
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
check and adjust valve clearences first,while you`ve got the rocker cover off see if you can pull the chain off the sprockets,swapping shims is a cams out jobbie which is a days work for someone like yourself providing you have a supply of replacement shims  :rolleyes .....nothing hard about it just a bit fiddly getting the feeler gauges between the bucket and cam.yam charge something like £8 a shim but if you go to wemoto or similar you`ll get them for £3/4 .....loads of help on here if you get stuck
One, is never going to be enough.....

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tinkering
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2013, 05:47:29 pm »
Ok I've started to dig and check things
Please see photos and some gaps on the teeth on front cam shaft and chain.  Is there a front tensioner too?  What do you think? Thanks for any replies.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tinkering
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2013, 08:25:16 pm »
Ok I see its a guide at the front.  Will take carbs off tomorrow and pull out the tensioner and guide to check them.   

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkering
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2013, 02:29:39 am »
Just the one CCT at the back of the engine, a front guide which slides out, the top guide you can see and a guide at the back which the CCT pushes against. The camchain can lift off a bit like that if you've turned the engine anti clockwise. Turn the engine clockwise till TDC and the camchain should seat better.

Check your clearances, if they're alright then think about replacing the camchain (see how far out the CCT is by removing the middle bolt first (being careful it doesn't shoot across the room) then removing the CCT and counting the clicks out). If it's near the end, replace the camchain, some people advocate endless ones but a riveted one is fine in my opinion.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2013, 07:59:17 am »
Thanks humbucker.  Will count the clicks later on and go from there.  Thanks again.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2013, 09:18:03 pm »
Had 3 clicks left on the tensioner so ordered a new cam chain.  If  I ends up with a quiter engine then I'll be a happy bunny.