Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:00 pm

Author Topic: Experiences with Ivan Kit  (Read 6613 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences with Ivan Kit
« Reply #50 on: 21 August 2023, 11:53:20 pm »
Another thought occurred to me.  I assume that your lithium battery has a good BMS inside to regulate the voltage going into the battery from your alternator. 

I don't know much about lithium batteries on motorcycles but I am aware that they are voltage-sensitive and the charging output of older motorcycle systems isn't always compatible with them.  Also, if you have any issues with low output from your alternator your battery may not be charging as it should:

https://fulbat.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-07-FULBAT_EN_Guidelines_Lithium_PDF.pdf

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 August 2023, 12:25:31 am »
Can I just jump in here & offer some info that you may or may not be aware of ...
Been reading this long winded thread with interest, good on ya for having a go at the carb mods, albeit you've had multiple issues along the way.

Lithium batteries need a proper full charge from a Lithium spec charger prior to use, or they can never fully function as intended, also most bikes Reg/Recs especially older bikes like our Fazers were never designed to run a lithium battery, this might be where all your gremlins lie.
For this reason, I would never use a Lithium on any of my bikes, plus they have been proven to cause fires.

Might be worth swapping out the Lithium for a fully charged lead acid battery & see if there's an improvement.

You've obviously got other gremlins to diagnose, but Mike as always has given you the heads up on what to check already.

jul1us

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 22 August 2023, 12:52:28 am »
Thanks, Mike!

I'm actually learning a lot and do enjoy a bit of tinkering so it's not all bad. I'm also improving my bike as I will definitely replace the rectifier plug. Anderson Powerplugs are already ordered.

I will take a video of removing my plug caps tomorrow.

How do I check the earth connections, is there a thread on this already?

Thanks, Gaz66!

I did fully charge my Lithium battery with a lithium capable charger before first time using it.

Schlumpf (the creator of the multigauge) actually recommends the usage of a lithium battery for the fazer as it starts the bike much easier (and weighs less). These lithium batteries have a built in controller which manages the 14V charging current.

Quote by Schlumpf: "I've been running a LiFePO battery for many years now. They seem to cope better with the tendency of low voltages of the Fazer."

His website is quite interesting, you can read it google translated here:

https://cvieth-bplaced-net.translate.goog/motorrad.html?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

If you go on the drop down menus on left side to motorcycle -> FZS 1000  you can see the sub categories.

« Last Edit: 22 August 2023, 01:21:50 am by jul1us »

jul1us

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22 August 2023, 01:32:52 am »
Thanks, Mike!

I'm actually learning a lot and do enjoy a bit of tinkering so it's not all bad. I'm also improving my bike as I will definitely replace the rectifier plug. Anderson Powerplugs are already ordered.

I will take a video of removing my plug caps tomorrow.

Is this how I check earth:

"Put the multimeter in your lowest Ohm setting and put the black probe on the negative battery terminal.

Then probe around on all the lights negative wires whilst giving them a wiggle. You should be getting very low readings."

Thanks, Gaz66!

I did fully charge my Lithium battery with a lithium capable charger before first time using it.

Schlumpf (the creator of the multigauge) actually recommends the usage of a lithium battery for the fazer as it starts the bike much easier (and weighs less). These lithium batteries have a built in controller which manages the 14V charging current.

Quote by Schlumpf: "I've been running a LiFePO battery for many years now. They seem to cope better with the tendency of low voltages of the Fazer."

His website is quite interesting, you can read it google translated here:

https://cvieth-bplaced-net.translate.goog/motorrad.html?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

If you go on the drop down menus on left side to motorcycle -> FZS 1000  you can see the sub categories.

Here is his electrical optimisations page :

https://cvieth-bplaced-net.translate.goog/motorrad_licht.html?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en
« Last Edit: 22 August 2023, 01:58:29 am by jul1us »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 22 August 2023, 10:09:04 am »
Good morning, Julius. :)

The links you posted for Christian's site are very helpful.  I wish I'd had them while I still owned my Fazer and R1.  If he's happy with fitting lithium to the Fazer, that's good enough for me.

If I still had the Fazer, I think I would follow his advice to improve the wiring for the headlights and the earth connections.  You might find the latter useful if you have earthing problems on your bike.

I also found his observations on the ignition lock (we usually call it the ignition switch) good, too.  It reminded me of a problem I had with my Fazer which was traced to the red connector block wiring, same as in the photos in this link

https://cvieth-bplaced-net.translate.goog/motorrad_elektronik.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en

You can test the earth connectivity in the way you indicate but I tend to physically inspect earths as well.  Remove the earth cable bolts, clean the contacts and refit.  As Christian notes, there's only one earth point to the chassis through the starter motor.  Make sure that is all good.

It's looking increasingly like your problem is voltage-related.  Hope you find it soon!

Cheers :)

jul1us

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22 August 2023, 02:48:55 pm »
Good Afternoon, Mike!  :)

I'm a little embarrassed because it's so simple, but I found the problem. I was about to implement Christians advise about checking the the currents going into ignition coil, when I noticed that the one connector was so loose that it was wiggling around completely free. After tightening it up, I took it for a long test drive and all was well again.

https://i.imgur.com/hGVxnLr.png

https://i.imgur.com/ELBTJJg.jpg

Thank you again, and also the others, so much your help. It is really appreciated and I'm happy I learned a lot.

If you're not driving the Fazer or the R1 anymore, are you driving something else?

In addition to Christians electrical page, there is a guide in the German forum:

"Power Tweak or Relay for Ignition Switch Relief" which I can post in another thread here later on...

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 August 2023, 02:44:15 pm »
Good find!  That's a relief, no?  As you said, a simple thing but often easy to miss when you're fault-finding.  I'm very glad that it was a quick fix once you looked in the right area.  Christian is an awesome source of knowledge and ideas. :)

I sold my Fazer back in 2020 and the R1 in early 2021, just before we moved back to the UK from Spain.  Too much expense and hassle to ship them back, although the value of original 4XV R1s in totally standard condition - like mine was - has gone up considerably.

Currently no bike in the garage and it will probably stay that way.  I guess riding in Spanish weather on empty roads spoiled me too much!

Cheers :)

jul1us

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 August 2023, 07:13:31 pm »
Oh, yes, it was a big relief. The moment I found that lose connection I was hoping I struck gold but also fearing that it might not be it. Then when I did the test drive full relief set in.

Overall, this really happened at the best time as I had the time to take care of it and also learned a lot about the bike's electrics during this time.

Thanks again for all the great support you have been giving me since the beginning of this thread, it has been a real life saver!

As announced here, I just posted the translated guide for the "power tweak":

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=27821.msg332584#new

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25 August 2023, 10:40:56 pm »
Diagram suitable for the early models with the lights on/off on the right handle bar.
From 2003 on, the turning on of the lights is controlled by the Ignitor

Tinkerer843

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24 September 2023, 12:36:48 pm »
Hi. I notice the top connection to number 2/3 coil is the white wire. On my bike the top wire is red and black and the lower is white. Can anyone confirm which is correct.

Jay1000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 24 September 2023, 03:04:44 pm »
Hi guys , I'm new to the forum but I'm badly stuck for information/help  any advice as my fazer 1000 2001 model is laid up  :'( , took off the forks to do the seals and dust caps but I have no clips before you take off the oil seals and I've tried pulling apart the top cylinder from the bottom but I'm afraid to do damage as its not releasing to easy ,anybody come across this before, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer843

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24 September 2023, 06:11:14 pm »
I use a heat gun where the seal fits.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25 September 2023, 12:18:29 am »
Have you removed the bottom bolt?

jul1us

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 October 2023, 05:25:23 pm »
I want to express my gratitude again to Mike and everybody here who helped me Ivanising my Fazer.

Just had a vacation in Sardinia and had a wonderful time with my Fazer!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 October 2023, 01:08:44 pm »
Looks like you had a brilliant trip. :)

Good to hear the Fazer is running well again after the troubles you had a while ago.