Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:43 am

Author Topic: Choke is stuck (sorted)  (Read 1048 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Choke is stuck (sorted)
« on: 05 October 2016, 01:36:33 pm »
Hi Peeps,

I have a new issue with the bike, with the choke. After I replaced the handlebars the choke lever was a little stiff and only opened halfway. I assumed it was just stretched a bit, as the bars are a little wider, but now have found that it barely moves at all, such that I can't start the bike.

I took off the left hand cluster and tried pulling directly on the choke cable to test it, but it won't budge. I was about to order a replacement cable (easier than lubing) when I thought I'd just check it at the carb end and found that it won't move there, either.

Unfortunately, the Haynes manual doesn't give much info or diagrams about the choke, but I'm pretty sure I understand how it is supposed to move - doesn't look too hard, but I cant move it in any way. Tried with my fingers, then a screwdriver. Soaked it in WD40, left it for a few hours but still no worky.

Any suggestions would be welcome, if it means I don't have to dismantle the lot and clean it all up and reassemble. I've already had so much work to do on the bike this year, I really don't want to have to start pulling it to bits yet again, at least not before next year.  :'(

EDIT: Okay, it's sorted - was jammed solid with crud - sorted with a dismantling and clean up. Unfortunately no option to delete the post.

« Last Edit: 05 October 2016, 02:06:39 pm by JD-LincsUK »

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Choke is stuck (sorted)
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2016, 10:34:00 am »
The choke plungers are a common thing to seize up, usually the choke lever breaks when this happens, and you can't buy the choke lever from Yamaha as it only comes with the switchgear.