Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:59 pm

Author Topic: Fazer Gen 1 key  (Read 824 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer Gen 1 key
« on: 12 December 2013, 10:37:09 am »
Hi,

When I got my bike it only had one key and its pretty worn.  The ignition switching on is a bit of a faff sometimes requiring a bit of a key jiggle to get it to turn.  Using the steering lock is a bit of a no-go, I used it once at work and it took 5 mins of jiggling/twisting/swearing to unlock it (locking it is smooth as silk though...).

I have blasted it with WD40 etc but it didn't really improve (although I didn't blast it for long...).  I heard that worn keys can cause this as well, seeing as mine is fairly worn out I was going to get a new one cut.

Can you get the key code from the bike?  I believe that a key cut from mine will simply replicate the worn profile and to do it properly requires the key code.
Intentionally left blank

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Fazer Gen 1 key
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2013, 10:53:08 am »
Go to a Yamaha dealer. Assuming the locks haven't been changed, they will be able to get a new key cut from the codes they have access to.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2013, 10:57:26 am »
A locksmiths with a computer key cutting machine should be able to sort you out, or ask you local key cutter to reduce the depth of the cutter a bit to compensate for the wear.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2013, 11:26:44 am »
cool.  I will give the local dealer a call at the weekend, failing that I will find a locksmith that might be able to do it.

Cheers!
Intentionally left blank