Date: 22-05-24  Time: 09:27 am

Author Topic: Testing the water...  (Read 1001 times)

Ben600

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 2xDucati ss, DRZ400 hondaXR400
    • View Profile
Testing the water...
« on: 19 August 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
Hi all!

I am looking to make a comeback to Fazer ownership after my beautiful Fazer met a rather sticky demise last October :(

I am going to be in the market for a Fazer in the £1000- £1500 possibly £1700 margin. What would this money fetch Fazer wise? my last one ended up costing the best part of 2.5k after finance interest etc was factored in, but that was absolutely mint with 15k on the clock? i am assuming I wont fetch such a bike in this price range?

Cheers,

ben

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Testing the water...
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2013, 11:57:36 pm »
This cost me £1800 with 19k on the clock in March of this year so they are out there you need a little luck, willing to walk away and this was from private 1 owner. Good luck in your search

2 I is getting obsessed with taking pics of bike but this is after a clay, paint clean, polish and wax 7 april 13
2 I is getting obsessed with taking pics of bike but this is after a clay, paint clean, polish and wax 7 april 13
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2013, 12:10:21 am »
Somebody just posted one for sale around that price range.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2013, 12:16:12 am »
As dB says, take your time and look around, there are plenty of fazer 600's out there and there are some real bargains to be had. If your gut is telling you to walk then walk! There is always another one for sale which will be the right one for you.

Look out for common fazer problems like rear brakes being seized, holes in down pipes, soggy suspension.

Also look out for general bike things like scratches/mismatched/new/re-sprayed panels that can indicate a drop/crash. Listen for knocks from engines which can indicate imminent engine failure or high wear.

Other things like worn tyres and brake pads that will need replaced, worn chain and sprockets, other wear and tear can be a good bartering point too.

Good luck in your search.

Chris

P.S. Looking great dB!!

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2013, 04:25:44 am »
Hey Ben, welcome back 8)

i think you're bang on the money with your spending estimates.
some people are getting ebay bargains now for 700 - 800 quid.but i'd say they are still reasonably rare finds & usually higher mileage (still not high as such), possibly a bit tatty around the edges but perfectly rideable.

1700 - 1800 should imo get you a nice low mileage fazer 2001 onwards without too much searching.probably still quite original but as a result will possibly cost you more money if you fancy the usual upgrades.(remember a low mileage bike will probably not have had it's front sprocket nut upgraded to the new one!)

1000 - 1300 will get you a myriad of fazers usually 98 to 2001 models with reasonably high or normal mileage but not the mint originals, they'll often have had some upgrades such as stainless down pipes & end cans, k&n's, renthals etc.

all my personal opinion of course from general observation.

winter will obviously throw up some cheaper prices.

hope that helps

fras 8)

« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 04:28:16 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2013, 06:41:34 am »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.