General > General

Carbtune Virgin

(1/3) > >>

dickturpin:
Having read the threads on here and on Pats site, I intend to use my sparkly new Carbtune soon. Never having used one before I seek 'practical' tips from those of you that are more familiar with them.
I intend to do it with the tank proped up rather than removed to the seat.
Do I need to check the TPS before and after the operation?
Are the inner carb's caps really difficult to get to or bloody imposible? Tips welcome here!! (Also replacing the inner carb caps without loss will be welcome.)
Anything else you think I shoud know....

Thanks

D

BBROWN1664:
From memory, you are better off taking the tank off and turning it round to sit where the seat should be or you will never get to the balance screws between the carbs.

Check the TPS before and after and use long nose pliers to take off/put on the caps. It takes a while to do so dont underestimate the time you will need though you may be pleasently suprised and it could only take 10 minutes.

Phil TK:
To adjust the balance screws I bought a T-handle screwdriver with a very long shaft, the shaft needs to be 'bendy' because the screws are not a straight route and I also found that a headtorch was very handy for seeing the damn things, they are very well hidden.
 Quite the most fiddly of any in-line four I've ever done but very satisfying when you get it right, it feels like a new engine once done properly.

dickturpin:
I've had the bike 3 years now and it's not been balanced in my time so I reckon it's due.
Already bought the long screwdriver ready for the task but I don't think it's 'bendy'! :\

ghostbiker:
rubber tubeing on the shaft of the screwdriver will stop a nasty supprise
head torch as said allready as seeing the bloody screws is a pain and i think the hardest part of the whole job.
i use a long stright screwdriver with out issues but i can see how a bendy one would be better
i also do it with the tank proped up, i have a broom handle cut to length. this dose restrict light so again a good torch is a must.
take your time and its not a hard job, just can be a little frustraiting if you cant find the screws, mine were covered in crap so took me ages.... even now affter doing it 3 times i still have a hard time spoting them. i have heard ppl paint the screws white affter the first time to help from then on. i keep forgetting to do it.

as for the caps, i find them easyer to get to from the sides and have replaced my caps with the carb crossover tube mod. this makes it even easyer.
oh and dont aim for 100% perfection on the carb tune lol i spent 2 hrs the first time i tried to get it perfect and you wont tell the diff from 100% perfect and being a slight variation (cant remember the tolarance thats normal but sure some one will know)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version