Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:23 am

Author Topic: Dead battery?  (Read 7372 times)

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
Dead battery?
« on: 12 September 2015, 03:32:10 pm »
So i went to start my bike up this morning and the ignition clicked on and neutral light came on but after a second or so everything went click and dead. I have checked the battery and as the bike is fairly new to me i thought it might be dead. The battery looks brand new, after checking with a multimeter it is showing 10.6 volts. I assume this is low and needs charging?

One point of note..i don't ride/start it everyday but i am unsure why this has happened. Do these bikes need to be constantly charged up? I recently completed the headlight mod where the other light is made to come on with the dipped beam. Could this be killing my battery?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Dead battery?
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2015, 03:51:57 pm »
Headlight mod shouldn't affect anything.
They don't like being left for long periods of time, especially in cold weather.
These bikes are very easy to bump start in 2nd gear, if you wanna get it going.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2015, 04:12:51 pm »
If you have an alarm fitted then it could be that draining the battery. As Darrsi said, the headlight mod is not the cause

Once started, the voltage across the battery should be around 13.5 - 14Vdc assuming your alternator is good. Sitting with the engine off after running the bike for about 15 mins then a resting battery should measure around 12.5Vdc.

No 13.5 - 14Vdc = possible poor alternator/battery connections or knackered alternator.

No 12.5Vdc after a 15 min engine run = knackered battery

Good luck fella  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2015, 04:28:55 pm »
I use the bike infrequently and last run was Tuesday. Should I leave the bike on a slow charger when not in use to preserve the battery?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2015, 04:44:34 pm »
I use the bike infrequently and last run was Tuesday. Should I leave the bike on a slow charger when not in use to preserve the battery?

It would obviously help.
I had a couple of months off work last year with a fractured hip and my battery survived fine without a charge or being started.
If the battery is in good nick it will hold a charge well, but they are designed to be charged frequently through riding the bike.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2015, 06:55:05 pm »
 I don't use my bike a great deal, get yourself an optimizer, or you will be buying a new battery every year like I was,. only 30 pound,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2015, 08:25:20 pm »
It should be okay for 2 Or 3 weeks without if being run no problems, presuming no parasitic drains and good battery. I bumped mine solo last week after a month away but it's the original battery. 

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2015, 08:33:06 pm »
No issues previously and have no alarm or heated grips draining the system. First issue was when I went to start today and completely dead. No green neutral light or anything. I will try charging the battery over night and report back with my findings.

riedrider

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - TDM850, BT1100, NTV650, R100R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2015, 09:54:08 pm »
High ambient temperature can cause batteries to self-discharge much quicker. 10 degrees hotter doubles the rate.
In Germany we had a very hot summer and many batteries of seldom used vehicles died because of deep discharge.
Today I checked the batteries of my 4 bikes. The TDM was last time used about  7 weeks ago. The voltage was only 12,05 V.
NTV and Fazer had 12,50 V after about 4 weeks. The BMW has a special battery (originally designed for uninterrupted power supply of alarm systems) and after 3 weeks it had still 12,8 V.
Guenter

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2015, 10:24:35 pm »
No issues previously and have no alarm or heated grips draining the system. First issue was when I went to start today and completely dead. No green neutral light or anything. I will try charging the battery over night and report back with my findings.

Would be worth checking the alternator and battery terminals/earths for tightness whilst at it.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2015, 12:28:07 am »
Where on the frame does it earth? Maybe it could be a loose connection somewhere? The battery is showing only 10.6 volts though.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2015, 01:19:56 am »
Probably you need new battery. Bump start or jump start it and charge the battery riding.

Or buy Oxford Oximiser 900 for £30 pounds and charge it. On all my bikes I have the Oximiser connected all the time. It makes your battery last longer.

After you charge the battery test it.

Load Test
  • Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
  • Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
  • Watch the voltmeter as you start your motorcycle. Keep the starter pressed at least 5-10 seconds
  • If the voltage drops below 9.5 volts during that 10 seconds, the battery has very low capacity and should be replaced.
A healthy 12 volt motorcycle battery should maintain a range from 9.5 - 10.5 volts under the load for a good 30 seconds straight.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.php?action=1&id=30

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
I tried to charge up my battery last night and the charger was showing the dead battery sign. Time for a new one. I can pick up a Lucas (12v 10ah) locally or should I order a Yuasa online? Any experience of Lucas batteries?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2015, 06:41:23 pm by Adscan »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2015, 04:45:01 pm »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2015, 05:22:13 pm »
I tried to charge up my battery last night and the charger was showing the dead battery sighn. Time for a new one. I can pick up a Lucas (12v 10ah) locally or should I order a Yuasa online? Any experience of Lucas batteries?

Lucas are good batteries. Personally I would buy Varta for £37 plus £8 shipping here:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX12-BS-Varta-Powersports-Motorcycle-Battery-AGM-510-012-009-P185.html

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2015, 05:30:14 pm »
I bought one of these when my battery died earlier this year. http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/default/mbtx9u-motobatt-battery.html
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2015, 07:17:29 pm »
I don't think you need to spend a fortune on a battery, just run the bike frequently and or hook the battery up to an optimate or similar.

When I rode everyday (didn't have a car licence) I never replaced a battery on any bike I owned. Since becoming more reliant on the car I've more or less purchased a new one every year

Use it or loose it springs to mind
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2015, 08:03:32 pm »
Take the battery out and store in the house in a cupboard during the winter months.....batteries love being stored in the inevitable inferno temperatures that wives have houses......no pissing about with chargers....just take it out, in the cupboard....5 months later take it out, fit it, start it up........what ive always done and never failed me yet.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
I give up, I have been on here 3 years.    the same people give different advise, I have bought two batteries in 3 years, this year I am back on a yuusa,, take it to bed with you,  I have heard the best way is to strap it to a camels back, ;) and send it to mars,.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2015, 09:22:07 pm »
I give up, I have been on here 3 years.    the same people give different advise, I have bought two batteries in 3 years, this year I am back on a yuusa,, take it to bed with you,  I have heard the best way is to strap it to a camels back, ;) and send it to mars,.

Will NASA take it, the camel that is?
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2015, 07:06:01 pm »
I picked up a Yuasa online for £44 which is now fitted and all seems well again. I think i will keep an eye on this one  and plug it in to an Optimate when not being used for a period and hopefully it will last a while.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2015, 07:22:03 pm »
As Noggy said if you don't use it for long periods in the winter , take it off and store it indoors , the combination of cold weather and not being used very often kills the batteries .

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2015, 09:49:37 pm »
I give up, I have been on here 3 years.    the same people give different advise, ...take it to bed with you,  I have heard the best way is to strap it to a camels back, ;) and send it to mars,.

You heard wrong. The best way is to strap it to a camel toe and keep it warm  :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2015, 10:00:37 pm »
Yummmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy :b

Anyway...Taylor ya big grump......by virtue of abusing so many batteries maybe you should take some of our advice you crazy fool :pokefun
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike