Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: Bike Sat Nav  (Read 5519 times)

Peasy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX-6R Trackbike
    • View Profile
Bike Sat Nav
« on: 05 January 2015, 08:54:56 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for a bike sat nav with UK and western Europe maps on it please. Wont get much use so don't want to buy new really. If you have one you'd like to sell and with all the bits and pieces for mounting and wiring etc that would be great.

Hope to hear from you

Cheers
Lewis

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2015, 09:22:44 pm »
Hi Lewis, Will start by saying not willing to sell mine (sorry)
But I have a Garmin Zumo 220 bike satnav. I love it to bits. has enough of the features to be useful but misses some of the extra features that bump the price of other satnav's up.
Has bluetooth so you can sync with a headset to hear directions on the go if you wish. Fully waterproof as been tested by myself in Wales lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Zumo-220-Satnav-GPS-NOH-Europe-010-N0876-01-/400827310042?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item5d532b5fda

Good bit of kit for the money IMHO

Good luck.

Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2015, 07:34:51 am »
They are nice to have ==Buuutttttt , mine jumped ship on the German autobahn :eek  yes  :'( , i thought  "oh dear rider fitting error" but later on at home i looked at the bar mount and the top retaining clip that locks the satnav in place was missing, thepins that hold the clip have come out of the mount.
So last i saw in my mirror was my Sat nav bouncing along at about 130mph,,didnt bother to stop :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2015, 08:41:11 am »

i use a mio digiwalker. i paid around 30 sovs for it from ebay which is about the going rate, i load up where i want to go, put it in my pocket and feed an ear piece through my jacket and listen to the instructions. cheap, effective and waterproof when in a plastic bag. i can't figure why people pay hundreds and festoon bikes with ugly mounting fixings which necessitate taking eyes off the road when this solution is available.

i also use it in my work van and mrs uses it when cycling places too.

down sides? it can sometimes take a few minutes to find where it is. it isn't a full postcode search, part postcode and then road name are required. the supplied ear piece was very uncomfortable so i bought a decent in-ear headphone set.
is it clean enough?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2015, 04:10:29 pm »
Fudnut
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2015, 11:29:21 pm »

i use a mio digiwalker. i paid around 30 sovs for it from ebay which is about the going rate, i load up where i want to go, put it in my pocket and feed an ear piece through my jacket and listen to the instructions. cheap, effective and waterproof when in a plastic bag. i can't figure why people pay hundreds and festoon bikes with ugly mounting fixings which necessitate taking eyes off the road when this solution is available.

i also use it in my work van and mrs uses it when cycling places too.

down sides? it can sometimes take a few minutes to find where it is. it isn't a full postcode search, part postcode and then road name are required. the supplied ear piece was very uncomfortable so i bought a decent in-ear headphone set.

It is called personal preference :)
Personally I prefer to have the screen in front of me so I can have a quick glance down and see when the next turn off is on a motorway. That and I can operate it with gloves on. More than once I have hit the zoom out button to see if I can find a quick shortcut when stuck in traffic.

Picks up satellites in no more than 20 seconds (even indoors), has full postcode search, points of interest, petrol stations etc etc. Bluetooth headset capability and comes with the attachments to mount it to a bike. That is where the extra money goes..

Oh and you can probably improve your Mio Digiwalker by installing iGO software. It will install on to most of them. Might be worth looking into as has more functionality than the stock Mio software.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2015, 10:54:19 am »
I've got a crappy £20 unit which isn't technically waterproof, but has never had a problem in the rain. It's custom mounted on the (dark) screen and works through my autocom unit. Perfik and not too worried if it takes a swan dive off the bike at that price (I have my phone as backup if all else fails). No way I'm paying £££ for a unit which has 'motorbike' in the title, but is otherwise the same as the cheap units  :b

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2015, 12:44:24 pm »
I've got a crappy £20 unit which isn't technically waterproof, but has never had a problem in the rain. It's custom mounted on the (dark) screen and works through my autocom unit. Perfik and not too worried if it takes a swan dive off the bike at that price (I have my phone as backup if all else fails). No way I'm paying £££ for a unit which has 'motorbike' in the title, but is otherwise the same as the cheap units  :b

I bought the Garmin Zumo 390 for £350 last spring. No way is it the same as the cheap units. Not even close mate. I did a Euro-tour the year before with my TomTom in one of theose "waterproof" cases. It was terrible. I have used the Garmin for over 6000 miles in over ten countries. I have seen things that otherwise I may have missed. It helped my find a hotel when I was stranded at 10pm with no phone signal. It logged my laps of the Nurburgring. It has all my data saved from the Stelvio Pass and other amazing roads I have ridden on. It worked in the howling rain, with a wet, gloved hand. It holds a charge for months. It fed a signal to me and also to my mate, on another bike! It is build like a tank, it looks the part on the bike and there is very little chance it is falling off. I have tested it in some treacherous terrain and not once has it even hinted at letting me down. If you honestly think a product costing less than 10% of this is the same thing, you clearly don't get how the consumer market works. Don't get me wrong, I know that they are at it with the prices of these things, but I will pay through the nose to enhance the experiences which may well turn out to be once in a life time. I don't want to be stuck at some Belgian petrol station trying to get my shitty sat nav to work, when I could be riding along, listening to my tunes or talking to my mate about the curvy roads we are about to embark on or take that road we included in the itinerary (set up with the included software Basecamp) 5 months previous. To each his own, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2015, 05:37:21 pm by adeejaysdelight »
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2015, 06:39:42 am »
Mine fell off :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek .

the pin in the top clip came out,clip fell off and so did my Zumo,be warned  :'( :lol :lol

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2015, 08:00:14 pm »
Mine fell off :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek .

the pin in the top clip came out,clip fell off and so did my Zumo,be warned  :'( :lol :lol

Doh!!!
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2015, 08:13:06 pm »

so just in this thread alone we have two zumos that have come away while in use? a quick google search reveals this to not be an isolated incident. who'd have thought it?
is it clean enough?

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2015, 12:15:41 am »
So last i saw in my mirror was my Sat nav bouncing along at about 130mph,,didnt bother to stop

Its very simple to add a safety strap that you clip onto the clutch cable, my TomTom Rider came with one as standard. In four years and many thousand miles its never been needed but good for peace of mind.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2015, 06:27:58 am »
Doh, now you tell me :lol :lol :lol :lol

I am usually the first to see a fault that can be saved but this time i took the manufacturers as "perfect" =wrong :'(

i see what you mean
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=my%20zumo%20fell%20off
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 06:29:50 am by slimwilly »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2015, 08:49:10 am »
I have the Zumo 390 too and it is a great unit. I fitted a touratech locking mount though so it's fixed in place and you don't have to worry about it flying off or being pinched while you pay for petrol etc.

Pricey but they are excellent bits of kit. The twisty roads option is genius :)

fazerblue

• Weekend Warrior
  • made to ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2015, 11:15:46 am »
or on the cheap you can use any sat nav just get a waterproof bike sat nav holder which comes with handle bar fittings put a 12v sockect on your bike again very cheap and there you have it one cheap bike sat nav

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2015, 08:19:40 pm »
or on the cheap you can use any sat nav just get a waterproof bike sat nav holder which comes with handle bar fittings put a 12v sockect on your bike again very cheap and there you have it one cheap bike sat nav

Thats exactly what I have on my FZ1, 12v socket off ebay £6, clear plastic sarny bag for waterproofing free from the kitchen, tomtom car satnav new in sales two years ago £40, generic satnav holder from hongkong off ebay £4.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2015, 08:56:00 pm »
full test of bike sat navs in this months RIDE magazine
not read it yet but thought it might help in your decision making  :thumbup