Date: 25-04-24  Time: 08:28 am

Author Topic: I think its buggered--any thoughts ?  (Read 1225 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
I think its buggered--any thoughts ?
« on: 06 July 2019, 07:56:41 pm »
Hello foccers been out for blast with my mates -set off like a twat missed 2nd gear knocked her up a gear destroyed something inside --can start bike up with clutch pulled in sounds fine--but when i release clutch lever sounds like a bag of spanners and the noise wont go away--i suspect its the clutch although it sounds like the gearbox side of the bike --ill check clutch  in the morning  in the meantime any suggestions /ideas welcome-thanks in advance- :(
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: I think its buggered--any thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2019, 11:23:39 pm »
Never had gearbox trouble so this is a wild guess but I think it's usually the selector fork or the dogs that break on second gear. I think you can sneak in from the bottom through the sump and change whatever is broken with the engine still in the frame

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2019, 09:33:17 am »

If it’s an FZS600 (your profile says FZ6) then access is OK for changing the selector drum and forks with the engine in-situ.
However, the usual 2nd gear problem only affects that gear… the bike would run normally in neutral, first and, if you can persuade the selector past 2nd, the higher gears too. If yours is making a nasty racket as soon as the clutch is released then there is something else wrong. Hopefully it’s the clutch as that should be fixable, otherwise a replacement engine is the easier solution... replacing broken cogs in the box is a lot of work.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2019, 11:02:38 am »
did it sound like this when it went ?
https://youtu.be/-HK_lv7FAnQ?t=53

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2019, 03:00:51 pm »
Yes mate its an fzs600 gonna make a start on it now (moto gp finished )
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2019, 07:07:58 pm »
Well chaps clutch is fine guess its gonna be sump off and see what i can see (oh drained the oil it was debris free )--

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2019, 05:53:32 pm »
Well i took the sump off today and found gear teeth in the bottom six of them shame really the engine is a good one so replace engine or get gearbox repaired ??

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile