Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:18 pm

Author Topic: Engine stops when engaging 1st  (Read 1745 times)

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Engine stops when engaging 1st
« on: 18 May 2019, 10:20:41 pm »
Hi all, been a while since I was last on, just finished rebuilding my 2002 Fazer, I did a full on strip down, engine out of the frame, everything stripped and cleaned, painted or replaced as required. Spent many an evening cleaning every last damn nut and bolt. Bike went back together ok, the problem I have is the engine cuts out when I select 1st gear. Before I get the obvious one, the side stand switch was stripped, cleaned, casing painted, reassembled and tested and was also tested once installed and tested again tonight, just in case, all ok there.
Is there anything else that would stop the engine when 1st is selected?

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Engine stops when engaging 1st
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 10:41:16 pm »
Clutch lever switch sticking/connected incorrectly?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2019, 10:50:32 pm »
Checked the clutch lever switch, it's working ok, the plug that goes into it can only go in one way.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2019, 10:57:10 pm »
Found another thread on this, as my engine has been stood for three months with no oil in, I'll check the clutch plates have not stuck together, will also bypass the clutch switch though I've tested it with a meter and it's fine.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2019, 11:20:34 pm »
Clutch stuck, so got to sort that tomorrow.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2019, 12:04:41 am »
Try putting it in 2nd, hold the clutch lever in and push it with the lever held in. The engine will turn over when the rear wheel turns because the plates are stuck together but with the lever held in the plates should break free after a few pushes.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2019, 12:32:08 am »
I think the clutch switch only effects the starting circuit so it couldn't be part of his problem since the bike runs. When the clutch switch and the sidestand are closed they provide the path to ground for the starting cut off relay and the starting cut off relay provides a path to ground for the starter relay. Or instead of the clutch switch and sidestand combined, if the neutral switch is closed it provides the path to ground for the starting cut off relay. So to start the bike you have to either be in neutral or have the clutch pulled and the sidestand up.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2019, 12:33:39 am by His Dudeness »

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2019, 10:18:51 am »
Tried rolling the bike in 2nd, can roll it but not as easy as it should, also tried running the engine with the lever tied back to the bar, no joy there, going to drain the oil and open it up....

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2019, 10:31:45 am »
Most of the time you can do clutches on the side stand and not lose any oil to save draining. Not tried on a Fazer though!

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2019, 11:00:49 am »
Heard that too Trebus but never tried it :-) drained the oil and whipped off the cover, the clutch plates are not stuck, so at a loss, the clutch switch is fine, checked that back at the main connector block under the tank, the side stand switch is also fine, checked that at the plug behind the LH cover, clutch is adjusted ok, the only thing that's a little confusing is when the bike is on it's stand, engine off, select 1st and try and rotate the back wheel, pulling in the clutch lever seems to make no difference, which suggests the clutch....

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2019, 11:34:43 am »
Did you squeeze the lever and see the clutch plates separate while the cover was off? (When you’ve taken it apart it’s quite easy to lose the ball bearing that lives at the clutch end of the pushrod.)

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2019, 11:59:59 am »
The plates separated fine, gave them all a jiggle, none of them stuck, so I didn't have to take it all apart, clutch adjustment is fine, can move the back wheel witht he clutch lever in and in 2nd, 3rd etc, it's still stoppign when I select 1st or 2nd, going to trace the wires back, according to the wiring diagram, there is a set of diodes that are part of the circuit, on the diagram, they are in with the starter motor cut out relay, not sure how that affects it as as yet, lovely sunny day and I'm stuck in the garage, ah well.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2019, 01:39:19 pm »
It appears to be sorted, I traced back all the wires to a box next to the flasher relay, checked that out with a meter, all ok, but as I went along, I cleaned every contact in all the plugs and sockets, had lunch, went back, put it all together and it worked. So I can't pinpoint the exact reason other than dirty contacts within wiring blocks, now to wash it and shake down ride. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much apprectiated.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2019, 09:30:44 pm »
Right. Get back to basics.
Try pressing the starter button with the side stand down and the bike in neutral. If it doesnt turn over, the side stand switch is the problem.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2019, 09:24:41 pm »
Could be the side stand switch. You’ve either had the soundest and down and tried to start it (which I doubt) or the switch is gunked up/ broken. See if that’s the issue. You can just short it with a paper clip to test it.