Date: 22-05-24  Time: 04:18 am

Author Topic: ais removal  (Read 11911 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: ais removal
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2012, 11:04:30 am »
I think you need to explain your idea a bit more, it doesn't sound logical to tap the spigots then cut them off, as mentioned it is possible though allegedly difficult to remove them at which point the kit on ebay would potentially be a neater and simpler idea. Out of interest how are you planning on cutting them?
i was going to use a dremel,the only reason for cutting them is so the top of the engine looks neater

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
In all honesty I only ever see the stubs when I'm on the floor cleaning my bike so looks are not much of an issue, I don't think what you're contemplating is practical but then I still don't understand what you're planning. You could get some domed allen bolts which look neater than a hex headed ones.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2012, 10:58:37 am »
Don't cut, just tap.

Make sure you have a good quality taper tap. 

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2012, 11:22:55 am »
without going out to look, (im a lazzy ass today and still in bed a 11am  :P) wouldnt cutting them flush leave the depth to tap a thread a little shallow? wouldnt want the bolt hanging down interupting outflow.
there again as im type this i supose there has to be enough to allow a interfearance fit so it should be enough for a tap.

might be a slightly neater job but if your going to that much extra effort from either a holeshot kit or a simple tap and bolt then the Ebay kit and spiggot removal might be worth going a little further again as it is prob the neatest finish possable.

i went simple tap and cap head bolt, its hard to see it from most angles and dosent look out of place. if i had to do it again i would go holeshot kit though.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2012, 07:39:29 pm »
those of you that are going the diy route with a tap i bought a m8 taper tap from a local tool supplier made by lyndon,the square end on the tap is 1/4" and a brake adjuster spanner is an ideal fit (mine is a double ended square ring spanner) so hopefully i should have no issues threading the spiggots when i come to tapping them 

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #30 on: 27 March 2012, 11:26:24 pm »
Good luck with it. I have just done another one yesterday & I will say it again, it's a pain in the ass of a job. 2 & 3, piece of cake, takes minutes but 1 & 4.. .    :'(

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2012, 08:54:20 pm »
Good luck with it. I have just done another one yesterday & I will say it again, it's a pain in the ass of a job. 2 & 3, piece of cake, takes minutes but 1 & 4.. .    :'(
the only one i had a problem with was no 4,the tap i have has a 1/4" square and i have a brake adjuster spanner with a 1/4" end on it,that made it easy to do 3 of them,on no 4 i had to use a 7mm spanner at first,not an ideal size but it did what i needed to do and once i was so dar down i then used the brake spanner to get the tap the rest of the way in

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2012, 11:06:02 pm »
Excellent, job well done then.  :) I think 4 stainless cap head bolts look as neat as anything down there. I had my exhaust off this time around so was able to push swarf down the hole & out the exhaust ports.