Date: 25-04-24  Time: 15:59 pm

Author Topic: clutch noise  (Read 960 times)

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
clutch noise
« on: 24 January 2014, 03:40:27 pm »
Hi all, a quick question.
I have just started to notice that after my ride to work(17miles) that as I creep into the carpark, first gear riding the clutch, I can actually hear the clutch rubbing ( for want of a better word, not as harsh as grinding).
It doesn't do it cold and I don't appear to have any clutch slip or problems changing gear.
Is this the first signs of needing a new clutch? Its done about 38k and I believe its the original clutch.
I am due an oil change which I shall try n get done next weekend and see if the prob persists.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: clutch noise
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2014, 06:02:09 pm »
are you certain the noise is coming from the clutch? does it happen all the time with the clutch engaged and disengaged?

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2014, 10:22:19 am »
It doesn't happen when the clutch is either fully engaged or disgaged. It only seems to happen halfway between when riding the clutch. I don't notice it when pulling away only when crawling?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2014, 01:14:04 pm »
It doesn't happen when the clutch is either fully engaged or disgaged. It only seems to happen halfway between when riding the clutch. I don't notice it when pulling away only when crawling?

Do you ride the clutch much? By riding with the lever half pulled you're intentionally causing the clutch to slip and you could prematurely wear out the clutch if you do it a lot. The noise is probably just the friction plates rubbing against the steel plates when you're slipping the clutch. If you wanted to you could take the cover off carefully so you don't damage the gasket and have a look at the plates to see what condition they're in. I'd do that before buying new ones because they might be fine

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2014, 11:16:02 am »
No I don't ride that way often, it is only when negotiating a small and tight carpark at work. I might check the plates when the weather gets a bit better.
Cheers