Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:08 pm

Author Topic: No lights  (Read 10279 times)

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
No lights
« on: 15 October 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
Looking for direction on where to start to fix my lights: they don't work. (Should add that its dipped only not working. Side's and full's work fine)

Bulbs are fine, fuses are fine.

Went on a spin before my holiday and some of the lads said at times they were on but never for long - so something somewhere is loose/out of sorts and needs fixing. Don't know if it is wiring or switch related.

Any ideas where to start? Hope to spend tomorrow at it to get it sorted.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 15 October 2013, 06:46:00 pm by redthunder »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: No lights
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
At a start, contact cleaner on the switch and all the plugs under the tank in the electrical box

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2013, 08:36:39 pm »
+1...start with the switch  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2013, 08:51:52 pm »
mabe a stab in the dark here?...excuse the pun :rolleyes ....but they are standard bulbs you got arnt they?...recently had probs with switchgear burning out due to someone using 100watt bulbs? :rolleyes also caused short to ecu causing it to overheat!!
« Last Edit: 15 October 2013, 08:53:38 pm by CRH »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2013, 09:56:19 pm »
Are you definitely sure the bulbs are working, swap them with known working bulbs.
On the foxeye model there are 2 relays controling the lights and they are inside the fairing under the clocks. One is a standard on/off relay (4 Connectors) and the other is a change over realy (5 connectors). If your main beam is working this rules out the both switches as the switch on the right hand handle bar turns on the standard relay and the head/dim switch turns on and off the change over relay. When the change over relay is off the dims are on when the change over relay is on the high beams come on. It seems from your description to be either a faulty contact in the 5 connector relay or the wire between the 5 connector relay and headlight bulbs is loose or broken.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2013, 10:40:15 pm »
Positive on the bulbs, tried two new ones and same problem.

There is a blue colour off the bulbs so do not think they are standard but not sure on the specific bulb. I'll try figure that out tomorrow.

Interesting to know that about the relays etc for switches, that helps me understand things a bit more. I'll add a bit more history of you have a moment to read it that would be great!

Prior to the full on stoppage of the dips I could get the dips on only by switching on my heads. (subsequently could only get my heads on by pressing the pass switch)

So if what I'm reading is correct I could have a problem with the left switch, the relay for that switch or the wiring between the two?

If I've been able to half the work involved in tracking down the problem then happy days! Will report back tomorrow, hopefully with good news. Winter is setting in and I want the dips on all the time.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2013, 10:46:10 pm »
Sound more like the 5 connector change over relay.
You can get at the relays by removing the screen. Just be careful not to overtighten the screws when refitting as you can break the screws ot crack the screen.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2013, 08:14:55 am »
When I had problems with lights recently I could hear a buzzing coming from one of the relays, as I thought it was dead I replaced it with a new one but had the same problem so wasn't the relay (which are over £20 each!)
Turned out to be the block connector under the left hand front fairing panel, disconnected, cleaned, reconnected, fixed- it was a bitch to unplug but its a 3 minute job including removing the infill panel!
Some say...

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2013, 03:53:47 pm »
Had a rain delay yesterday unfortunately, but got at it now.

When I removed the screen I could see some suspicious looking duct tape on what looks to me like the 5 connector relay? (See pics)

Took off the duct tape and was left with this yellow/green wire hanging loose. Anyone know off hand if this looks standard and if so which slot should it be plugged back into? Don't want to go trial and error and burn something out.

Thanks!

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2013, 04:34:59 pm »
Plugged it back in to the slot directly to the right of it as in the picture above and both bulbs work when I press my pass switch but that is about it.

Should also ask - when I move the switch on the right handlebar from side lights to dip beams the other relay (part number 5JJ-20-2) makes a click - should that be happening?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
Your green and yellow wire there is definitely not standard fella!
Some say...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2013, 10:26:11 pm »
Looks like some bypassed the relay using the green/yellow wire as a quick fix because they most likely burned out the 5 connector change over relay by fitting  100/80 watt bulbs in the headlights.
I would advise you check the bulbs are 60/55 watt and get a 5 connector relay and fit it. Everthing should then work as it was designed.
The relay that clicks is correct and it should click as it switches on when you push the switch from side lights to headlights.
It supplies power to the to the change over contacts of the 5 connector relay which is controled by the dimmer switch on the left handlebar.
The button for flashing the headlights operates independantly of the relays.
The 5 connector relay is common on many Yamaha with both lights in the twin headlights pod lighting. The 5JJ is the model code for the 2000-2001 R1.
Try Fazerspares in Bristol or local breakers as they may have the relay. I think the part number is 5JJ-81950-20 but double check to make sure.
To get your dims working temporarly plug that green yellow lead  lead into the Black/Blue and Black/Green

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2013, 04:54:37 pm »
I went to the local breakers today and got a similar relay which I was told should do the job, part G8H-1C4T-D. I've googled that and it looks like it came from an R1.

Got home and plugged it in, didn't fix my problem. In fact, with it plugged in I got no light from the bulbs even with the pass switch.

Is it possible that it's just a completely wrong relay? They had another exact same as this in the box so I could go back tomorrow and get that to rule out the one I bought being faulty? Or rummage for the right part number or better yet buy it new but i'd like to be sure that would definitely fix it.

Guy in the breakers said if this wasn't my problem chances are it woukd be a bad connection in a big white block of plugs underneath the front left fairing and to play around with the plug there. Did that and no joy either but didn't spend too long at it, it's been raining all day.

Appreciate the help so far unfazed

roadpilot3

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2013, 05:05:19 pm »
I had an issue with my lights last year, it was an easy fix but took a while to diagnose.

My headlights only worked when I pulled in the flasher switch in and all the other lights worked fine except the back light which didn’t work at all. 

New ignition switch cured the problem - Just a thought……

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2013, 06:00:20 pm »
That relay may not work, even though they look the same externally the internal conections may be different. Try the correct one first and if that does not work you will have to work back towards the box of connectors under the tank.
Do you have any test equipment, even a bulb tester or a small 12v bulb attached to 2 wires. If so I can guide you through a series of small test if the correct realy does not solve the issue.
In reply to Roadpilot3 the headlight wiring in the Foxeye is completly different to the Boxeye and unfortunately difficult to compare many of electrical problems of each model. Redthunders issues does seem to be centered around the operation of the 5 connector relay.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2013, 11:36:36 am »
Going to go back today and try get the right relay, failing that I'll order one this evening.

Have a tester bulb alright, where should I start if I go down that route? Thanks again

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
I have attached a diagram of the headlight circuit.
Since the the 4 pin relay is clicking then there is power to it, ruling out the right hand switch.
Check the headlight fuse had power to it and going through it.
You need to determine if the switching contacts in the 4 pin relay is working. The clicking only means the magnet is pulling the contacts closed but the contacts could be burned out.
If the previous owner had used larger wattage bulbs he could have burned the contacts of this relay also.
Check to see if you have power to the black/blue wire of the 5 pin connector with the ignition on the R/H light switch set to full on.
If not then check if you have power at the red/yellow of the 4 pin connector relay (this is direct from the fuse) and then (keep the ignition and R/H sw on) with the relay plugged test for power at the Black/Blue at the back of the connector this is testing the contacts of the 4 pin relay. No power there with the ignition on the the R/H switch on means a new 4 pin relay also.
Let me know how you get on.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2013, 04:38:29 pm »
Unfazed, that's definitely above and beyond, can't thank you enough!

So I have some partial success to share. Went back to city spares to try and get the proper relay - they didn't have it. Out of curiosity though I changed it for another of the same relay that they did have to rule out the 1st one being faulty and looks like it was. Put back in a different G8H-1C4T-D relay and now I have light! But still not 100% functionality, i'll explain.

Switch to side lights - perfect. Switch to dip lights - perfect (and for the first time since I bought the bike in March I might add)

Move over to the left hand switch and put on full beams - nothing.

Press the pass switch and only the left hand bulb goes on full.

Could I have a faulty switch on the left hand handlebar?
« Last Edit: 19 October 2013, 04:39:38 pm by redthunder »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2013, 04:40:48 pm »
I'd say that's still pointing to the relay!
Some say...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2013, 04:59:42 pm »
Not necessarily punkstig
The Dimmer switch on the left handle bar switches on the 5 pin headlight relay which changes the contacts to send power to the main beams which comes through the contacts of the 4 pin relay (follow the line from the 20A fuse to the first relay (57)) and since the dims work it proves the 4 pin relay is working.
Can you hear the 5 pin relay clicking when you operate the switch to main beams. If not you need to supply 12 volts to the yellow wire of the the 5 pin relay and see if it the relay clicks and main beams come on. This would prove the relay works and would point towards the switch being a problem.
If only one headlight comes on with the flasher it may be a blown headlight bulb. If you look at the diagram the 20 amp headlight fuse supplies power via the flasher switch directly to the bulbs in 61 in the diagram. Swap the bulbs to see if the fault changes with it.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2013, 07:22:15 pm »
I've been sat idle due to the rain outside unfortunately, hoping for a clear spell tomorrow to get at it. Have 2 new bulbs waiting to go in to rule out the bulbs.. and change them anyway. Saw earlier that the current bulbs are 12v 60/55 but i'm sure there have been higher wattage bulbs in it in the past.

I'll listen for a sound out of the 5 pin relay tomorrow. While I can probably live without fully functioning full beams, I'd like to get to the bottom of this for the future. Will report back when I have some news, really do appreciate the help. I'd have had to put the bike into a shop by now if it wasn't for you guys. And considering i'm just back from my honeymoon and our electric shower burnt out it's an expense I can really do without!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 October 2013, 07:55:03 pm »
As he's changed the 5 pin relay for one for a different bike and things are now working that weren't working before then this is why I say its pointing to the relay still- an incorrect one may give some functionality but not all that the correct one would.
As bulbs and fuses have been checked several times already surely that points to obtaining the correct relay and going from there!?
Some say...

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2013, 01:11:39 pm »
As my lights have been working this has been put on the long finger, there's a relay on eBay at the moment that looks like it could be what I need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50590-Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-2002-Multi-Function-Relay-3EN-81950-00-/300987567988?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item461441cf74

Does that look right? Mine is a 2002 also.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2013, 01:31:30 pm »
i think  foxeye and boxeye are diffrent!!...although it says 2002 it could stil be a boxeye?....chk your numbers on yours before purchasing ;) ......the fuel pump relay for instance is diff"..its a 16pin and the boxeye is only 9pin!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2013, 02:55:10 pm »
As my lights have been working this has been put on the long finger, there's a relay on eBay at the moment that looks like it could be what I need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50590-Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-2002-Multi-Function-Relay-3EN-81950-00-/300987567988?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item461441cf74

Does that look right? Mine is a 2002 also.

It is not the one you require, this is the one that controls the starting with side stand switch. neutral light and clutch switch