Date: 22-05-24  Time: 09:29 am

Author Topic: Miss-fire and cutting out  (Read 1289 times)

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Miss-fire and cutting out
« on: 31 May 2014, 01:55:11 pm »
Took my GEN1 out for a blast today and she has been cutting out and sounds like some miss-firing going on, virtually as soon as she cuts out she can be re-started or if cutting out at speed she backfires after restarting out saying to me its not a fuel issue but electrical. It is very intermitant

I'm thinking either my alarm (Meta) needs ripping out so I need the bypass diagram or the side stand switch might be playing up.

Any suggestions for other areas I might need to look at?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Miss-fire and cutting out
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2014, 02:05:43 pm »
Could still be fuel
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
Side stand switch sounds more like it. Disconnect and if the bike won't start put a connection between the two pins and try again. I can't remember if they are meant to be connected or disconnected :o  Try bike and see if problem has gone :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2014, 04:39:28 pm »
This is same problem I had on my gen 1. I found on mine eventually that it was the ignition switch, it was that badly worn that the key would wobble about in the switch causing the engine to misfire or cut out. Try wobbling your key in the switch to see if it is that, all i had to do with mine is touch it and the engine would cut out!
Also check your fuel filter, air filter, kinked fuel pipe,carbs for crap in the float bowls, I also cut back my HT leads 1/2" to make sure they had a good contact. These were all things suggested by guys on here and by the time i had done them all and managed to source another ignition switch the bike was running like a dream when i sold it.

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2014, 05:15:31 pm »
Cheers for the replies so far, air filter was cleaned about 600 miles ago at the same time cut back the HT leads, always make sure that breathers or fuel feed or kinked when putting the tank back.

Ignition barrel is worn so will check that first.