Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: Sonos wireless music streaming  (Read 1540 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Sonos wireless music streaming
« on: 01 May 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
Anybody familiar with this system?

I'm considering getting a play3, and connecting cable direct to my router. If at some point in the future I get another play3 for another room, will I also need to get a bridge, or can the two play3's talk direct to each other?

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
Re: Sonos wireless music streaming
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
If they can talk to each other, one wonders what they actually say.

Brrrr bying bying bying pk pk pk pyong pyong
Skrrsssshhhhhhh pyong pyong pk pk pk boing boing

I'm sure that must mean something like "would you like to know last nights lottery results?" in digital speak
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2013, 08:10:01 pm »
If they were talking about tomorrow's winning numbers, now that would be worthwhile!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Raymy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
Who in the world knows the mind of the machine?

Well, Iain M. Banks apparently
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Raymy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
Sorry. Hijack.

Somebody help this guy out for bloody buggers sake
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2013, 08:49:55 pm »
Anybody familiar with this system?

I'm considering getting a play3, and connecting cable direct to my router. If at some point in the future I get another play3 for another room, will I also need to get a bridge, or can the two play3's talk direct to each other?

From SONOS web page. I guess the answer to your question is yes they can
SIMPLE SETUP AND EXPANDABLE DESIGN[/size]SIMPLE SETUP[/font][/size][/color]No technical or wireless expertise required. Put a PLAY:3 in any room where you want music, plug it in and enjoy. Wire one PLAY:3 or BRIDGE (sold separately) to your router to access a world of music on the Internet. The Sonos System Setup software provides simple on-screen prompts on any SONOS CONTROL. With the touch of a few buttons, you’ll be playing music all over the house in minutes.[/size]EXPANDABLE WIRELESS SYSTEM[/font][/size][/color]Expand your wireless music system room by room. Wirelessly add more PLAY:3s to your house and enjoy true multi-room music.[/size]SIMPLE TO MOVE[/font][/size][/color]The PLAY:3 is so small that it is easy to move to the backyard, deck or any other room. Simply pick it up, plug it in, and enjoy the music.[/font][/size]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2013, 09:21:16 pm »
Cheers Lazarus, I'd seen that,and I agree it does LOOK as though you can do it - your own wording though, sums it up - "I guess the answer...yes"

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 09:50:11 pm »
The answer to your question, as Lazarus stated, is yes you can.  But I find there is nothing quite like foisting my opinion on someone else as I am liable to do so ....

The Sonos is a brilliant piece of kit, the only issue is that it used to use a proprietary peer-to-peer mesh network which meant the wireless is incompatible with other media streamers.  This is only an issue if you store your music on it instead of a NAS.  I don't think it's changed, but it may have done.

Airplay and squeeze box are popular alternatives but I don't think they give you the same integrated feel that the Sonos does, the only issue being that Sonos kit is not cheap (if you use your iphone to control it consider airplay).

I'm hoping to put in airport expresses or apple TV's in the each room of the new house if/when it's done.  This would provide airplay streaming as well as extending the wireless network, yes You'd need an amp/speakers but if that was your boggle you could always buy one of the many airplay amplified speaker systems ([size=78%]https://www.apple.com/uk/airplay/[/size]).

Airplay, as an aside, will do video too if you get the appleTV which is much more cost effective than the Sonos.

I like them both, they both have advantages and disadvantages but the video clinches it for me.

Just my 2p.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 10:59:41 pm »
Cheers Simon, Sonos do still use their proprietary mesh network, but I don't think any of their kit does storage? I've got a NAS that the music will be on anyway, so not an issue for me.

Airplay - apple - not for me ;) and I thought squeezebox was kinda at end of life? Sure I heard some rumours to that effect anyway, but could be just that, rumour.

maybe I do need to look more at the apple stuff - but having android everything else, would be potentially more expensive in the end?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2013, 07:04:58 am »
 You can buy apps for Android that do airplay.  If you don't like Apple, fair enough :-)

Nothing is end of life anymore, practically all tech gets hacked and for something as simple as music does it matter ? Older is cheaper.

As long as they play mp3, flac, m4a you should be okay.

Go for the sonus if you're not sure, I know it will not disappoint.

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.