Date: 21-05-24  Time: 13:16 pm

Author Topic: Yuasa YT12B-BS battery consensus?  (Read 6751 times)

gethyn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Yuasa YT12B-BS battery consensus?
« on: 22 March 2013, 08:31:42 am »
Hi.

After a month of trawling the internet I found an affordable fazer. Well i went to pick it up yesterday and I've already got a smooth bump start technique. It's always good to acquire new skills but it's not what I had in mind! Anyway, the battery is dodo dead.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like the Yuasa YT12B-BS is the best option. Before I go and buy it (it won't be for a couple of weeks as we (the mrs and I) rinsed out the bank accounts to buy the bike and pay the insurance) I want to hear your voices. I've seen someone recommend this battery on this forum, but I wanted to get a broader consensus. So what do you think? Is it a decent product?

Cheers, I always appreciate forum help
BOB-FOC
Body off Baywatch Face off Crimewatch

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Re: Yuasa YT12B-BS battery consensus?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2013, 08:52:55 am »
Hi.

After a month of trawling the internet I found an affordable fazer. Well i went to pick it up yesterday and I've already got a smooth bump start technique. It's always good to acquire new skills but it's not what I had in mind! Anyway, the battery is dodo dead.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like the Yuasa YT12B-BS is the best option. Before I go and buy it (it won't be for a couple of weeks as we (the mrs and I) rinsed out the bank accounts to buy the bike and pay the insurance) I want to hear your voices. I've seen someone recommend this battery on this forum, but I wanted to get a broader consensus. So what do you think? Is it a decent product?

You can't go wrong with a Yuasa. Good brand and have been around for years. You probably could pick a slightly cheaper and "just as good" battery.....but I'd rather stick with something tried and tested over the years.

Just make sure that if you are not using your bike (over winter), that you give it regular charging. Batteries need looking after too like the rest of your bike, and they will lose their charge even standing idle to a point of no return even if it's brand new. You could be wondering why your brand new battery has tested kaput after leaving it lying idle for 6 months or so.

So get it and rock on!! Keep it regularly topped up and it should be fine for years. It's just a pity that you have ran out of greenbacks so you can't enjoy your bike straightaway.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
thou shalt not kick

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2013, 01:27:21 pm »
I've got lead acid and sealed Yuasa's for a few different bikes and they've always been top quality

gethyn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
Hi.

So get it and rock on!! Keep it regularly topped up and it should be fine for years. It's just a pity that you have ran out of greenbacks so you can't enjoy your bike straightaway.

thanks guys, i'll buy with confidence after receiving your advice. and, yeah, it's a bummer to be skint now but i guess i'll just keep bumping it to get it going and fill its tank before i fill my own. i'm just buzzing to be riding again after 4 years. the excitement made me feel confident and happy i just totally blitzed a job interview and got offered it on the spot so hopefully i won't be skint too much longer!!
BOB-FOC

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2013, 11:58:37 pm »
You can't go far wrong with a Yuasa but as stated above, keep it topped up with charge and it will serve you for years to come.

Well done on getting a new job too  ;)

Regards, Lez
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Anarch

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - CZ 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2013, 12:13:17 pm »
Yuasa should definitely give you a piece of mind - one tip for the winter get yourself an Optimate. I've made an mistake of getting some cheaper replacement - and it destroyed my battery.

I remember that I've run Yuasa completely empty (forgot to disconnect something from the lighter socket) - thinking that I've killed my battery I've ordered a new one. But I got the Optimate, and hooked up the old one - and its the 3rd year I've been running on that battery with no problems at all.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
LiFePO4 batteries for me. I have two made for paintball guns that wired in parallel. Final weight: 650 grams.

gethyn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2013, 01:51:52 am »
Yuasa should definitely give you a piece of mind - one tip for the winter get yourself an Optimate.

will do!
BOB-FOC