Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:18 pm

Author Topic: Project "Half an FJR1300" here we come !  (Read 866 times)

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Project "Half an FJR1300" here we come !
« on: 12 September 2021, 12:03:07 pm »
Didnt know where to post this, soz if its the wrong place.Just a bit of context about the noob asking all the questions :)

I'm ancient, ran UJMs up until the mid 90's. Life took over then.In 2019 I had a stroke, and as part of my rehabilitation I bought a Kawasaki W800.  I said that if I lose 50lbs of lard and recovered well enough to pass a "refresher assessment" I'd ride again, partly as a rehab objective, partly 'cos I never wanted to be a 21 stone gimp in bike gear :)

Bloody hard work and brilliant support I passed the assessment in Jan 2020.
I continued recovering and realised that althought pretty and inoffensive, the W800 was actually a pretty awful motorcycle: A twenty minute seat, hopeless brakes, sixties pastiche suspension, radials, 19 inch front wheel... All very period perfect, but I was at the level of wanting to do longer runs, maybe even touring. Enjoying my new, hard-won health and life.I didnt want to pay big cash, and I was two decades out of the loop regarding what bikes would do what, so I had a few test rides.
I tried an FJR1300, but its so heavy under 40 mph. VFR800 (dull), SV100 (shite ergo).

Then my mate Des told me he had a FZS600 in his garage that he had only MOT'ed for yonks, as he rode his other bikes.  I saw it, tried it, fell in love and project "Half an FJR1300" began !
I don't need all that room, weight or power so apart from my not liking the bulk, I just didnt need a FJR.  The FZS was miles more torquey than I expected under the power band and it had fairing lowers and a double bubble screen fitted, which makes it a frankly brilliant highway-at-80 bike.

The handling with Wilbers fitted is just glorious, in no way dated twenty years, though I might back off the rebound a tad as it is a bit uncomfortable over broken roads.
 Braking with lister lines fitted  progressive and powerful.The riding position , especially with the fitted renthals is just excellent, the seat is the best Ive used since my CB900F2 in the eighties. For real touring comfort and safety however I am fitting some adjustable footpegs to allow my still slightly strokey right leg to have less extreme folding.I fitted a Givi rack and M3 plate and am looking out for a 50l monokey topbox.

Now I know all this may seem boring, and perhaps a waste of the fighting ability of this feisty middleweight but I assure to me its all a dream more wonderful that I could even imagine back in April 2019 when I couldnt walk.I've had the bike two weeks, and already done 1200 miles just pissing about and going to gigs.

Sucking a few tanks of gas through the carbs has tidied up the hunting at idle wonderfully. I still need to give it the beans off the mark and in traffic then rein it in with the clutch but I know thats carbs for ya.The headlights are comedy shit (dual mod pending) but honestly the fazer is a fantastic UJM.  And so there's my dull tale explaining all my questions on these boards !If theres a touring bit of the boards could you  folks point me at it please ?

Thanks for being welcoming, helpful and brilliant !
« Last Edit: 12 September 2021, 12:05:43 pm by PureBob »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Project "Half an FJR1300" here we come !
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2021, 02:30:40 pm »
You got lucky, there are many out there don't know how good the 600 fazer is and many dismiss it as another 600, but as many on here know and now you know, it is more than that.  :) I have ridden many bike in my 50years of motorcycling and the Fazer 600 is the one I will always gravitate to.
Even though the Fazer1000 is a joy to ride and handles very well, the Fazer600 is as my wife says Our Bike, where as the 1000 is my bike.I can never see myself selling either

Hope you have many happy trips on it :)

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Project "Half an FJR1300" here we come !
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2021, 11:23:07 pm »
Ta mucker :)

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk