Date: 18-04-24  Time: 10:51 am

Author Topic: Ticking front brake  (Read 986 times)

babemagnet

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 with Akra, BT1100 Bulldog
    • View Profile
Ticking front brake
« on: 22 August 2021, 01:03:29 pm »
I've done a forum search but can't find anything similar so here goes........

I have just done full service on front brakes . New EBC discs, new EBC organic discs, new seals throughout, new fluid and new bleed screws. The only things that aren't new are the calipers. All was assembled with a touch of red rubber grease.

Problem I have is that when I apply the brake I get a fast ticking sound which remains throughout braking and slowly goes away after release. The ticking is faster than once every wheel rotation. I can only think this is some form of interaction between the edges of the pads and the edges of the holes in the discs although I have never had this noise when just replacing pads. I have changed pads from left to right but the ticking remains.

Has anyone else had this?

Will it disappear when everything settles down and wears in?

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: Ticking front brake
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2021, 09:47:18 pm »
If it was me I’d give EBC technical a ring and talk it through with them. If the noise wasn’t there before the brake upgrade then it must be the upgrade that’s caused it.
I’ve had a ringing sound when the brakes are applied after fitting new wavy discs. It drove me mad so I put OEM back on and no noise!!

babemagnet

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT09 with Akra, BT1100 Bulldog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2021, 09:00:24 am »
Thanks for the EBC Technical suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.
I have just moved from EBC wavy to EBC non-wavy and sintered to organic due to heavy scoring and mot failure on the wavy-sintered combo. The old discs only lasted 15 thou miles before needing replacement for some reason.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2021, 09:16:33 am »
I have just moved from EBC wavy to EBC non-wavy and sintered to organic due to heavy scoring and mot failure on the wavy-sintered combo. The old discs only lasted 15 thou miles before needing replacement for some reason.
Just keep an eye out on ebay for used genuine disc with low mileage (as in, close to as-new thickness of 5mm), you will get way more mileage from these than EBC and other 3rd party rotors.

- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303896281074 - 4.83mm, £90

Then hunt around for SBS pads or genuine Yam pads. EBC products have a short life span so it a false economy to buy them, thier pads eat rotors and by you own admission thier rotors dont last that long either.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2021, 09:17:17 am by b1k3rdude »