Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:44 am

Author Topic: foccer font of knowledge - class 7 van mot  (Read 1423 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
foccer font of knowledge - class 7 van mot
« on: 06 July 2020, 10:04:58 am »
Buggered if i know...
Apparently the covid MOT 6 month extension lasts right up to the end of this month. so any light van, car or motorcycle having an expiry date from now until the last day of july gets 6 months extension.
from aug 1st, they need to get another one pronto.
My Class 7, single rear wheel 3.5t mk7 transit MOT expires on the 28th of this month.
But, is it still classed as a light van, thereby giving me the six month extension?
if I enter the reg no in the government site (RJ09 VLK), it says MOT due on the 28th of this month. But does the site automatically put six months on if its eligible?
all help apprecited fellers... :)
ive googled it but all i can find is that it will update it if it is eligible 7 days before the expiry. Id kinda like to know asap though as i can start putting some dosh aside and doing extra jobs. old vans aint ever cheap come mot time.  :'(
« Last Edit: 06 July 2020, 10:17:38 am by ogri48 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: foccer font of knowledge - class 7 van mot
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2020, 10:55:38 am »
As far as I understand it a Class 4 is a light van and Class 7 is a commercial. I'll try and get in touch with a pal who owns on MOT station for clarification.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2020, 11:19:22 am »
Wow, this is a minefield. Still waiting for my pal to get back to me, but rang a local Class 7 test station. The govt. site only updates the extension nearer the date of expiry. However the extension scheme, according to the guy I spoke to, got suspended last Monday. So foc knows.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2020, 11:33:15 am »
Apparently it will only update the extension 3 days before expiry, if it is going to apply the extension update at all. No one seems to have a definitive answer. Which is no help to you at all. The gamble being if no extension gets applied you're snookered in trying to get an MOT at short notice with the possibility of a fail. How about getting a pre-MOT so you'll know how the land lies. Good luck Ogri. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 06 July 2020, 12:50:23 pm by robbo »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2020, 12:46:53 pm »
My van and Tiger had their dates extended a few days before they were due (in April). My FZS600 one runs out on 4th August so will need to get that tested soon.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2020, 01:47:13 pm »
As far as I understand it a Class 4 is a light van and Class 7 is a commercial. I'll try and get in touch with a pal who owns on MOT station for clarification.
appreciate the answers Robbo. It is indeed a minefield. Guess I'll havta wait and see :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2020, 02:38:55 pm »
My pal got back to me and said the extension is applied 7 days before expiry, but doesn't specify Class 7. It's a total mess, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it works out ok for you.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2020, 03:18:23 pm »
not sure if this helps or not, but i just put the fazers reg on the gov site, mot expired 26.04.20, gov web site tells me it expires on 26/10/20...
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2020, 06:17:07 pm »
It appears that the date doesn't update until between 3 and 7 days before the expiry date, so in Mr.Ogri's case some time between the 21st and 25th of the month. I had my car done last month and at present you don't even get a paper copy, but have to print it out at home via the govt website. I've been given different info from 3 different MOT testers today, the system's in a right 2 and 8.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2020, 11:24:31 pm »
My work has a whole fleet of class 7 Vauxhall Movanos, all the ones that were due MOT after the beginning of April had the extension applied the week they were due, as far as I know if you don't get the extension 3 days before the expiry date you can get in touch with DVLA here : :covid19mot@dvsa.gov.uk 
« Last Edit: 10 July 2020, 11:25:25 pm by robby boy »
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2020, 01:37:29 pm »
fellers i think the extension applies, but...
Its done 174k, and is a bloody good workhorse, occasionally having to hump a pallet of bricks or maxi bag of sand (.8 of a tonne), both forked into the back with the weight right where you dont want it. So  put it in anyway. and.... the front to rear brake pipe blew at the testing station. coupled with both rear springs being broken (eeek! front of both bolt hole eyes had dissapeared leaving them sitting in the remaining C cup) and it needing new discs and pads on the back (fronts done last year) along with several slightly smaller jobs!
im glad i didnt leave it, despite the cost (800 sovs). Its a good van. first time ive had a 'dangerous to drive' certificate lol. not that you could, the brake pedal went to the floor.
get it back tuesday. in the meantime got some old bikes to fix... :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2020, 01:56:51 pm »
Good job you put it in after all then ogri. The 6 months extension wouldn't have been worth sailing through a stonewall with a pallet of bricks on the back :eek  for sure. Doesn't bear thinking about. Same reason I put my car in, as there's not many places to go if it all goes wrong on that steep hill at Symonds Yat  when I go fishing.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2020, 02:01:46 pm »
:agree

The bike I am not bothered about leaving for an additional 6 months as I can see everything and maintain it but the car and van, you cant see underneath properly.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2020, 02:05:05 pm »

I've read that the rules concerning an MOT failure at any point during the 6 month extension period are different.

Put simply any failure whatsoever, however minor, means you can no longer drive the vehicle until the fault is corrected and the re-test carried out.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2020, 02:10:04 pm »
:agree
One it has failed, it has failed. Not like in the days of paper based certificates. A Fail overrides the pass it previously had. To be fair, it is how it should be.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2020, 07:35:49 pm »
Good job you put it in after all then ogri. The 6 months extension wouldn't have been worth sailing through a stonewall with a pallet of bricks on the back :eek  for sure. Doesn't bear thinking about. Same reason I put my car in, as there's not many places to go if it all goes wrong on that steep hill at Symonds Yat  when I go fishing.
Symonds yat...bloody right mate!!