Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:30 am

Author Topic: Best Top Box  (Read 938 times)

orion kid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Best Top Box
« on: 29 August 2019, 04:36:06 pm »
Hi Fazoids - Any suggestions/ recommendations/ experiences with top boxes. What looks and works best on the Fazer? I'm thinking of putting one on my FZ6 S2 (08) to add a bit of much needed practicality at the shops and for storing my helmet.

Bit confused though with the various things I see for sale on websites. I gather most people go for Givi and I would need to buy a mounting kit which seems to include arms and a rack. Do I also need to purchase separately a specific plate to fix the box onto as these appear to be quite expensive. I see stuff like M5 or M6M plates going for the £50 mark.

For example I was looking at this but it's not really clear what you get: https://www.louis.ie/artikel/givi-monorack-topcase-carrier-fuer-yamaha-fz6-fazer-s2-abs/10023575?filter_bike_id=1894&filter_article_number=10023561&list=56d92b46b6bb2957551eaede786b6407

Thanks for any help!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Best Top Box
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2019, 07:22:44 pm »
Yep, Givi is the best choice IMO, you have a choice of monolock or monokey adapter plates to suit the two ranges of boxes Givi offer. The monolock is their budget range, and personally would always opt for monokey. Boxes, of which there are many size options, often come up for sale on this forum, and are usually the monokey type.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2019, 08:33:33 pm »
Yep, Givi Monokey is best option. Decent quality and plenty about. Kappa and Shad also do boxes that fit the Givi Monolock plates. But the Monolock stuff is only rated for a measily 3Kg. Monokey is rated at 10Kg (but you can often go more).

You'll need:
 Arms: 351FZ
 Plate: M5
 Box: Any old Monokey one.

Arms don't turn up so often, and are often missing random bolts, spacers etc. Buy new for about £65:
(https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/498-givi-351fz-top-box-rack-for-yamaha-fz6-s2-fz6-600-s2-fazer/)

The M5 plate is common to many, many bikes, so more likely to come up second hand. Note it comes with some bolts of it's own to bolt to arms. £37 new if needed.

As for boxes, there's tonnes about second hand on ebay. From mini ones to huge 52ltr ones. Replacement locks/keys are cheap to get hold of if needed.

Best plan: Look out for second hand plate with bolts going cheap. If not just get plate and arms new. Once fitted, see what boxes are going cheap local to you, which you can pick up.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2019, 02:53:57 pm »
I've had a Givi Maxia 52L for years and have used it on 4 different bikes including my old Fazer. It holds 2 helmets or loads of other stuff and I have had no trouble with it. I'm definitely getting my moneys worth.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!