Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:37 am

Author Topic: Kawasaki Z1000SX - potential replacement for the FZS1000  (Read 4534 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Kawasaki Z1000SX - potential replacement for the FZS1000
« on: 02 June 2019, 12:50:32 pm »
how does the z1000 compare to the z1000sx

So I went a took a non ABS version (still have traction control) out for a test ride yesterday and I think I might have found a replacement for the fazer and the bandit.

• the z1000 felt firmer than the the FZ1 & the Fazer
  • you were perched more forward than the  Fazer ,
  • the engine was very smooth like the Fazer  and pulled in any gear ,and when I snapped back the throttle I felt like my head was being ripped off,
  • but the lack of fairing at high speeds on the motorway put me off  as I was looking for something that I could tour on , although not exclusively .
  • Also Kawasaki were very accommodating in letting me demo 3 off their bikes , whereas others were not .

• Suspension is defiantly better than stock and even better than my uprated front/rear (I have Devilsyam R6 shock & K-tech front springs) and the SX handled the same bumpy stretches of road better than the fzs did. But my 1200/1250 would have been smoother on the same streach due to the softer suspension.
  • Yeah I didn't like that, I noticed almost immediately I sat on the bike, I did ask the sales guy if he knew of any modes to raise the bars. On my fazer I have the bars higher than stock with two little bar risers, so the riding position on the fzs is the same as my GSF1200/1250 bikes - and its like the same can be done with the XS - https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=501
  • Ah man that engine it has same the low down power of the 1200, the low down smoothness of the 1250 and the top end power rush of the FZS - just awesome.
  • The test bike I ride had a puig aftermarket screen, so while its dosent have the wind protection of the 1200/1250 its about the same or better than my FZS with has a double bubble screen.
  • Same here, Daytona in Ruislip were very accommodating, I was honest and upfront about that fact that due to ULEZ I am looking to replace the FZS and that I didnt have any on-bike time with a Z1000SX they were happy to let ride the bike for an hour see below -

The bike I test rode was an  as I wanted to ride a bike that was in the same age/budget range I was looking at, this bike had an aftermarket screen & seat - here are other things I found I liked or disliked about this particular bike and where I have stated a fail this is compared to the FZS -
  • The MPG on this bike is stellar, for the test ride I was averaging 51mpg, but would like to hear from other owners to correlate - WIN
  • The mirrors do fold in but its no where near as easy as it is on my FZS and GSF - this is because I ride in London and filter half of the time - partial FAIL
  • The mirrors are noticeably smaller than the FZS and the ones on my GSF and as they are further forward not as easy to adjust the pods while riding.
  • The previous owner fitted a firmer seat - I did not like this at all, after 15mins I was already lifting my bum out of the sit to alleviate pressure (from what I could tell of the stock seat on another bike its softer)
  • The gear change action isnt quite as smooth as my FZS or GSF - but that could be this particular bike or how its was treated by the previous owner, that said this bike had only one previous owner and a full service history - the bike maye had a shifter kit on it. partial FAIL.
  • The front brake is monster, it has more feel and is more progressive than the FZS, but has even more power than the FZS.
  • The headlights on this 2015 model are utterly shit (halogen), so an LED upgrade is a must.. The other issue I do not like is this proclivity of only having one light on, the bulbs are H7 but thankfully there is a dual light mode form The Netherlands for this - so compared stock FZS, the headlight on this 2015 SX is an utter and complete FAIL.
  • I have read that the early bikes have a choppy throttle response, the bike I rode was smooth low down, it actually made riding at low speed very enjoyable, i noted to the sales guy I found myself going slower than I thought I was so yeeah, my driving license would love this bike. Its possibly the previous owner got the ECU flashed (this costs about £350), I would have to ride another 2014/2015 to say for sure (I asked the bike shop to get the previous owner to contact me)
  • The BT030 tyres are as good as the Avon Storm 3DX-M's I have fitted the the FZS and GSF, but would need a long term test of the bridgestones to have a meaningful opinion. The Avon's have done a 1000 mile on the GSF and 200 on thew FZS and I'am loving them. (the avons have better cornering and smoother ride than Pilot road 2/3 I have had experience off but will never touch again due to the abnormal front tyre wear (front wears out before the rear)
  • The petrol cap is a niggle to open, I use the ignition key on my FZS and GSF and the opening is in the middle of the flap on these bikes so its easy and no pressure is needed, but the cap on the SX has to be done from the side so this will cause/add wear to the key and the underside of the cap.
  • The indicator button is lower down so will take getting used which after an hour I pretty much had.
  • I had the bike in full power and full traction (rain) mode but it was dry and sunny so I didn't see much difference between the SX and my FZS - another test ride is required.
  • Under-seat storage has enough room for a tool kit, large disk lock, role of insulating tape and thin rubber gloves. There is no extra  room for a tyre puncture repair kit like there is with the FZS and GSF (a bit of a squeeze) - you would need a little magnet tank bag for the extra's on the SX - so partial FAIL
  • Clutch is cable like the FZS but I didn't have any span issues.
  • Crash protection on this bike fitment seem to only be mountable directly to the engine, this is a fail in my book. It dosen't allow for any flex on the protector mount, so any impact is transferred direct to the engine/frame. The lowside I had on my FZS showed that the mount plate took all of the initial impact saving the frame and the nylon bobbin then saving the engine - (update) I saw an ZX10 on Saturday evening with frame mounted R&G rfame sliders and it took both a low and high side and the slider looked like they took ALL of the impact force - so if the Z1000SX versions are just as good then I have donwgraded to  a partial fail
  • As I've not owned a Z100SX I cant say how easy it is to work on, but if all the youtube videos are anything to go by the SX as way more cramped than the FZS - so partial Fail
  • Kawasaki has the smallest market share compared to the other 3, followed buy Suzuki, then Yamaha and finally Honda with the largest.
  • The bike has NO main stand and there is not even an option to mount one - COMPLETE FAIL.
The obvious choice as an FZS owner is the FZ1, but that's a whole other conversation...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I just got stopped in my tracks with regard to this bike as I was told by a mechanic a few days ago and have found several verified instances on line of a serious fault with 4th gear and apparently Kawasaki aren't dealing with this as an official recal but instead silently fixed? the issue on later bikes

https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php?action=search2

Well shit, I was looking forward to buying this bike - so am gonna have to have a chat with Kawasaki UK and see what year it was 'fixed' on...
Found a vid comparing the FZ1-S to the Z1000SX -

« Last Edit: 04 July 2020, 01:17:36 pm by b1k3rdude »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki Z1000SX - potential replacement for the FZS1000
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2019, 01:55:43 pm »
good write up dude...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2019, 02:14:18 pm »
and re the reply to your pm...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2019, 03:07:01 pm »
Strangely enough I thought the same after looking at one last March and sitting on it, unfortunately it was snowing at the time and could not get a test ride on it. It was the first bike in a long time that I sat on and it felt right. Will have to get a run on one.
Came home and looked the the 2 fazers in the garage and naw love these 2 bikes  :lol

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2019, 08:04:42 pm »
and re the reply to your pm...
If that had a descent top fearing (the single headlight unit ive seen on these looks pants) that would be a worthy replacement for either the bandit or the Fazer, what mpg do you get out of it btw...

About the fairing, dosent look to bad in metalic black...

« Last Edit: 03 June 2019, 08:20:34 pm by b1k3rdude »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2019, 08:21:49 pm »
It just looks dull as ditch water, and that green paint - oooooooh.
I've ruled it out on looks alone. 

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2019, 08:15:54 pm »
It just looks dull as ditch water, and that green paint - oooooooh.
Its not as fugly as the FZ1 -

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2019, 08:07:37 am »
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. I like my FZ1 wouldn't swap it for any thing I've seen on this thread

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2019, 02:04:52 pm »
I replaced my Fazer with a Versys 1000, I'm very happy with it  :lol

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2019, 07:53:44 pm »
I replaced my Fazer with a Versys 1000, I'm very happy with it
How does it compare too all my points above..? and how tall is the seat..?
« Last Edit: 05 June 2019, 07:55:09 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2019, 08:13:10 pm »
Update on the  Crash protection - Just remembered I saw an ZX10 on Saturday evening with frame mounted R&G sliders and it took both a low and high sides (front cosmetics were completely totalled, but the engine and frame looked good) and the slider looked like they took ALL of the impact force - so if the Z1000SX versions are just as good then I have downgraded to a partial fail
« Last Edit: 05 June 2019, 08:15:37 pm by b1k3rdude »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2019, 04:43:17 pm »

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Oi that's my saying! >:

:lol

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2019, 07:29:47 am »
Your opinion is quite interesting as the Z1000SX has been on my radar for a while but the service intervals are quite low and always put me off. I sold my last FZ1S for an MT09 Tracer that I owned for about 8 months and I've had an MT10 for the past year and a bit, but looking to change to something else now.

I've been looking at either a red or black FZ1S and recently looking at the FZ1000S purely for the fact they have a better fuel range. The MT10 is pants on a good day but the sound of the cross plane engine with decat and Scorpion makes up for any short comings.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2019, 06:31:33 pm »
 Haven’t considered the Z1000SX.
It just looks so dull to me. 
Haven’t got round to testing anything since my MT10 test ride.
Really liked the MT10 riding position, it’s handling was excellent, though the brakes felt wooden.  But I’m still not sure I want to live with that super aggressive delivery.  And yeah fuel range.  I hate spending time in petrol stations, and like the idea of worrying where the next one is even less.

Want to try the CB1000R.  But I’m also now wondering about the new BMW R1250R.
Only, err I say only 134bhp but with a whopping 106ft-lb.  It’s not gonna be slow.  And you know what it looks pretty sweet.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2019, 06:41:56 pm »
recently looking at the FZ1000S purely for the fact they have a better fuel range.

As understand it the FZ1 has worse mpg than the FZS... see fuelly thread - http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/fz1 - average is 43mpg. The Z100SX I rode showed 51mpg for the test ride and the fuelly thread for that bike show average of 47mpg - http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/z1000sx

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2019, 07:43:06 pm »
Ridden with a bit of spirit my FZ1 can go down as low as the early 30s mpg. never get more than 40 mpg but it does huge smiles per miles.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2019, 08:07:38 pm »
Am I getting old or does this actually look pretty cool?

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 June 2019, 08:09:24 am »
recently looking at the FZ1000S purely for the fact they have a better fuel range.

As understand it the FZ1 has worse mpg than the FZS... see fuelly thread - http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/fz1 - average is 43mpg. The Z100SX I rode showed 51mpg for the test ride and the fuelly thread for that bike show average of 47mpg - http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/z1000sx

Whoops. I should have put the FZS and not the FZ1  :rollin

That is what attracts me to the FZS. My old FZ1S would get a rough or average minimum/maximum between 85 to 150 to a tank. The MT09 Tracer would do near on 180/200 to a tank and that was mostly kicking it's head in. The best I've got for the MT10 was 140. The fuel gauges on the both the MT09/10 are a joke and more like switches than proper gauges.

The 10 is without a doubt an awesome bike but you know what it's like when you fancy a change of bike.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2019, 11:00:57 am by Nath »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2019, 10:55:29 am »

The 10 is without a doubt an awesome bike but you know what it's like when you fancy a change of bike.

Yes, if you change your bike, a photo of it might fit on the page  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2019, 06:45:59 pm »
I might go shopping Saturday.See if motorrad in East Kilbride have a R1250r demo, and if Victor in Glasgow still has his CB1000R demo.Then if I can get another couple of test rides arranged.Well CB1000R or MT10 or R1250R

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2019, 06:53:03 pm »
I might go shopping Saturday.See if motorrad in East Kilbride have a R1250r demo, and if Victor in Glasgow still has his CB1000R demo.Then if I can get another couple of test rides arranged.Well CB1000R or MT10 or R1250R

One of my customers works for BMW and he came down on the R1250R a month or two back. Was apparently the first one in the country.
Gotta say it's a fine bit of kit, lots of brushed alloy and trick bits but I really wasnt keen on the look of the engine. Its massively wide in an otherwise thin frame and just looks a bit too front heavy.

The only negative he had to say about it was that smacking your shins on the engine guard was an issue and that it kicks off heat something fierce. Other than that he described it as a sedate s1000 (the naked one)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2019, 07:18:58 pm »
 Cheers Dude.  It’s the look of boxer engines that I love.  Those two massive cylinders poking oot.  Not seen one in the flesh but the exclusive edition looks good in the photos.  The chrome exhaust can is horrible, but that can be fixed – SC Project did some nice ones for the previous model.

I presume the foot pegs touch down long before one of those cylinders ever does.

But yeah, BMW boxer.  Am I just showing clear signs of ageing.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 June 2019, 09:15:37 pm »
Am I getting old or does this actually look pretty cool?

Looks bloody great imho. I had a go on a r nine t last year, them new boxer engines are bloody quick off the mark and no mistake

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 June 2019, 09:59:37 pm »

Yes, if you change your bike, a photo of it might fit on the page  :lol

Ha ha, I've deleted them now as it does my nut in having to scroll across.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2019, 10:51:05 pm »
Looks bloody great imho. I had a go on a r nine t last year, them new boxer engines are bloody quick off the mark and no mistake
R Nine T is gorgeous.  Were you tempted Ogri?

R1250R has the new liquid cooled shift cam engine.  Bit portly at 240kg fuelled up, but it should surely be a sweet handler wi all the weight pretty low doon.