Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:46 pm

Author Topic: Ignition advancer Gen1 ?  (Read 2665 times)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ignition advancer Gen1 ?
« on: 14 November 2018, 12:42:21 am »
I've seen people make mention of a 4 degree ignition advancer, is it worth fitting one of these and f so are they hard to fit? My bike is fitted with an Ivans Full Monty kit and Remus can.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition advancer Gen1 ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2018, 06:49:47 am »
Worth it, yes.

Difficult to fit?  No. :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2018, 07:56:11 am »
An advancer makes the bike more tractable at low revs and easier to start which is definitely useful, the trade-off is a slightly lower peak power figure which in the real world you won't notice.

It is easy to fit, the only issue is the retaining bolt which can be pretty tight, I put the bike in gear and blocks under the rear wheel to stop it turning, I'd invest in a replacement gasket before starting the job.

My bike has the full monty and a decent end can, I wouldn't go back to the stock timing.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2018, 06:03:20 pm »
An advancer makes the bike more tractable at low revs and easier to start which is definitely useful, the trade-off is a slightly lower peak power figure which in the real world you won't notice.

It is easy to fit, the only issue is the retaining bolt which can be pretty tight, I put the bike in gear and blocks under the rear wheel to stop it turning, I'd invest in a replacement gasket before starting the job.

My bike has the full monty and a decent end can, I wouldn't go back to the stock timing.

Thanks for the replies, is this the gasket for the casing on the right hand end ff the engine?

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2018, 07:07:07 pm »
No 16 below, Oil Pump Cover Gasket, price is from Fowlers Parts in Bristol.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2018, 07:28:17 pm by PieEater »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2018, 09:55:16 pm »
If you are careful/lucky, you might be able to remove the cover without damaging the gasket.

Either way, when you refit either the old gasket or a new one, grease it on both sides to ensure that you can remove it in the future without damaging it.  There's not pressure on the gasket to worry about from an oil leak perspective.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2021, 03:42:49 pm »
Yes, i know this is an old topic. But ive been thinking about getting an advancer. But having read the posts above i dont think i'll bother (unless someone has more info), my bike starts easily without choke if its been started that day, and only needs choke to start after a lay up. It has a dynojet kit and pipe and when dynoed it was about 132 at the wheel. I like the peak power an wouldnt like to sacrifice it for a little bit more mid range. Unless someone has truthful tales about huge mid range gains and tiny top end losses.

Yes, i do want my cake and eat it.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2021, 12:00:57 pm »

It's lower down the rev range where you will notice the benefits rather than mid range, the bike is just that bit more capable of running smoothly at low revs and pulling cleanly away. For example if you're out on fast ride and hit a 30 mph limit you can stay in top gear and accelerate back out once you're clear without downshifting. To me it makes the bike more of a capable all rounder, it's happier bimbling smoothly around country lanes at low revs with the other half on the back but if I'm out on my own and the red mist rises the bike is just as capable of getting the the adrenaline flowing.

Unless you regularly use the bike on the track or otherwise abuse it by regularly thrashing it to the red line you probably wouldn't notice any drop off in power which is at the very top end.

If you're in any doubt, an advancer is only a few quid and you could probably sell it on of you don't like it. Either way you still have a great bike so if fitting an advancer seems like too much hassle you're not hugely missing out by leaving things as they are, but given the choice I wouldn't go back to stock timing.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2021, 12:16:03 pm »

OK, now before i start with this, i know all bikes, even of the same year, make and model are different, so no aspurtions cast here.

I originally sold my Fazer to a mate because i wanted a nicer example, i found one which has been Ivanised by Ivan himself. Unfortunately on bottom end, and 6K rpm roll on tests with my original bike, the new one was found wanting (so i sold it and bought my old one back). So i would say that my bike has a good bottom end as is. I'm a little suspicious that it may already have an advancer fitted, or maybe its just a "good" one. Either way, i think i'll let sleeping dogs lie and not bother fitting one.

Until i can meet up with someone who has one fitted and try a few roll on tests as a comparison.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2021, 12:28:45 pm »
"If it aint broke" is always a good rule to live by  ;)  If you're ever in Devon drop me a PM and you're welcome to try mine.