Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:06 pm

Author Topic: Electrical problem with clocks  (Read 1278 times)

Emerald Rider

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Electrical problem with clocks
« on: 25 August 2015, 12:13:48 am »
Hi there, I've been having an electrical problem with my gen 2 Fazer. The clocks will 'switch off' and back on again at random. The bike doesn't stop running and all of the other electrics work, indicators, lights etc. They might stay off for 15-20 mins and pop on again for a few minutes then go off again. Anyone got any ideas? I've checked all of the connections and the wiring, I've even taken the clocks off and dismantled them looking for any obvious damage or corroded connections to no avail! Any body had this problem before? is it a known fault? I'm thinking it's a fault with the clocks, maybe a circuit board of something.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical problem with clocks
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2015, 08:57:18 pm »
Have you taken every connector apart and checked for corrosion including those under the petrol tank?
Before you buy some secondhand clocks what about asking an auto electrician to check the bike over?

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2015, 12:49:16 am »
Looks to me like nasty wire breaking somewhere in the wiring loom. First try with industrial amount Halfords electircal contacts cleaner to clean the connector that goes in the clocks.

Here is how to isolate and find out where is the fault:

You can replace the power supplied from the loom wires to the clocks connector - R/G red gray wire 12V positive the B black wire ground. You can replace both with direct wires from other place to supply power. If after that clocks work fine all the time that means the problem is somewhere in the wires in the wiring loom. If the fault stays the same means the problem is in the clocks. You can get them to some electronics guy to try to find and fix the fault.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Emerald Rider

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2015, 05:00:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. The connector plugs are spotless and in excellent condition, I have checked out most of the obvious causes. I will try with an isolated power source on the clocks to eliminate the wiring, I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again for the advice!

Emerald Rider

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2015, 06:03:14 pm »
I looked at the connector plug under the fairing again and put some lube on it and that seemed to do the trick. Even though the connector looked clean a bit of WD40 was all it needed. Thanks again for the advice. Feeling relieved.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2015, 05:54:13 pm »
I had a similar problem with my Gen 1, it turned out to be a loose battery earth.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!