Date: 27-04-24  Time: 00:55 am

Author Topic: New touring jacket time.  (Read 1746 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
New touring jacket time.
« on: 19 November 2014, 04:52:15 pm »
It's time for me to buy a new touring/winter jacket, and I'm a little out of touch with the new kit.

I've always been a Hein Gericke shopper in the past, but they've buggered off out if the UK now, and the euro ones colour schemes resemble an 80's shell suit!!

Been looking at an RST paragon iv, and an ixon krypton hp as a couple of ideas. Anyone got one of these?

Anyone got any other jackets that'd be worth a punt at?
My picky criteria is:-
£250 limit.
Waterproof. (no removable liners!!!)
Warm as toast. (With removable liner)
W/p pockets. Traditional 4 pocket design is my favourite.
3/4 ish length.
Gore tex used to be my big thing, but I'm sure there's just as good alternatives out there now.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: New touring jacket time.
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2014, 04:57:44 pm »

I cant really comment on winter stuff stevie as i dont have any but ref the RST stuff i think it's really mixed reviews.....all ill say is that i wasnt happy with a set of RST gloves i bought and swiftly returned with all the stitching coming out after wearing them once.....my RST boots were good value and my current RST textile jacket is bloody brilliant and only cost me about 80 squid.......if the paragon is anything like it then youll be on to a winner.

Hang on a minute actually.....you're stevie...RST........surely you cant go anywhere else :)

Forgot to say.....go supersize on RST......ok so im no slimjim at 16 stone and 5 foot 11 but i still had to go 3XL :o

My jacket is the urban and it is also a bit short so you can feel the wind on your back sometimes but i think that paragon is a long jacket anyway.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2014, 05:06:32 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2014, 05:28:19 pm »
Got an RST leather jacket thats lasted well, not tried the waterproofs but they seem a decent brand for the money.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2014, 05:30:43 pm »
I have got an rst leather suit. Worn it once, don't like the fit. My rst gloves are hopeless, wore them a couple of times and the stitching cane loose. Never bothered with warranty as they were cheap. And my rst boots broke the very first time I wore them....zip burst.

Some people think their stuff is fine, but it's been terrible for me, won't buy from them again.

On the flipside. I've got a textile (cordura I think) richa jacket and trousers that were very cheap, but have been great for me so far. I think the jacket was about £100. Might be worth a look for you?

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
The only RST item I have is the 'Blade' summer gloves, which seem really good to me, I've given them loads of abuse, and am still wearing them right now (with bar muffs).

I used to have a Weise Dynastar II jacket - it was fugly, but worked really well. I often have a look through the 'clearance' section on Sportsbikeshop.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2014, 10:15:40 pm »
I was after a dynastar evo, but every Bugger has sold out of them until after Christmas. ::)

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2014, 02:11:27 pm »
I've got an RST Paragon II Jacket that I got off t'bay. It's a Medium and I'm 5'11", 38" chest, 32" waist and it's OK enough without the padded liner but still a tiny bit snug. I wouldn't want to wear the padded liner, but then again, I haven't needed to as yet.
The front pockets are a bit naff and the cuffs have a zip and velcro closure that get in the way of the cuffs on my winter gloves, but once on it's fine.
I've tried on the III in a large and it was much better, and as far as I can remember had better pockets and cuffs.
I remember a Ride magasine review saying the III wasn't as good as the II in ventilation but maybe the IV has improved on the III.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2014, 05:01:46 pm »
Well went out today and tried a few more jackets.
The paragon iv was a bit lacking really. Tried a few more, but my usual pickyness saw them off straight away.
I ended up trying the ixon krypyon again, and it felt superb in comparison.

So I just though Fook it, and paid the heavily discounted price. Let's see how it performs when it pisses it down!

Thanks for the help guys :)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2014, 05:03:43 pm by stevierst »