Date: 01-05-24  Time: 02:13 am

Author Topic: Zumo 660 Help  (Read 1370 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Zumo 660 Help
« on: 09 March 2014, 08:08:48 pm »

Hi,

A question for the zumo 660 / "Garmin in general" gurus out there...

I spend far too much of my time working with my local Blood Bike group (www.northumbriabloodbikes.org.uk) and have just bought a couple of 660's to kit our bikes with. I'm trying to create a file that I can load onto each unit, containing all the hospitals & other locations that we visit, so that riders can find easily each destination. I'm trying to avoid having to manually enter over a dozen locations into each unit (we also have a BMW Navigator V, which is effectively a 660, and are likely to be buying 3 more of these devices this year, so manual isn't really an option!).

I can create a POI file, and load that in - but it doesn't seem that you can search for manual POIs? All I've achieved with this, is having it show on the screen that you're there, when you get there, which isn't much use   :rolleyes

Any idea how I can do this, please? What sort of file should I be creating?

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Zumo 660 Help
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2014, 05:40:30 pm »
Hospitals should be listed under the POI's that are already pre-loaded - which will save searching by address.  You can save each location in your Favorites and then you'll have them all in the same place.  Favorites then comes up as an option on the menu. 

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2014, 06:21:20 pm »
Hospitals should be listed under the POI's that are already pre-loaded

Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't you. But at least of three the local ones are missing, plus we have non hospital locations too.

You can save each location in your Favorites and then you'll have them all in the same place.  Favorites then comes up as an option on the menu.

None of that gets around having to repeat all the work on multiple devices.

I've found half a solution through the basecamp software. Not perfect, but better than nowt.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2014, 07:55:40 pm »
I would assume that all Tom Tom units accept the same POI files so it may be the same.  I used POI Editor (http://www.poieditor.com/articles/how_to__create_your_own_points_of_interest/) to create a custom POI file and then uploaded that to each Tom Tom unit that needed it.  Then when you go to enter a destination it will list all in either nearest to furthest order, in a particular town or you can search through them if you know the name of the place.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2014, 08:14:33 pm »
 :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall #

First, I thought it was fairly clear it's Garmin units, not TomTom.

Then, I thought it was fairly clear that it wont let me search POI's!! Which I said I've already successfully loaded!!!!

:wall :wall :wall

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2014, 08:33:06 pm »
Sorry, a bit thick headed today......

You're absolutely correct, you were quite clear, very clear in fact.  I've got an older Garmin but my missus has blagged it at the moment but thinking about it, I don't think you can search for a specific POI on that either.

However, it appears that you can on newer ones,
Searching for Points of Interest in the Garmin nuvi 2350 and nuvi 2360 navigators with GPS City

I suppose it depends on what the Zumo is based on.