Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:30 pm

Author Topic: yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 Rev counter not working  (Read 3246 times)

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 Rev counter not working
« on: 27 November 2021, 03:27:39 pm »
Hi

My 2003 fazer fzs 600 rev counter has stopped working, prior to this my speedo was fluctuating between 0-20mph when stationary. I've checked the usual connections but seem unable to find the problem, I'm not sure if the speedo issue is related to the same fault but seem strange that the rev counter stopped after the speedo issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm :groan [size=78%] scratching my head with this problem.[/size]

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 Rev counter not working
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2021, 07:09:24 pm »
check the battery.

Seen similar problems on the FZS600 with a failing battery
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2021, 08:24:36 pm »
check the battery.

Seen similar problems on the FZS600 with a failing battery

Hi I thought the same so was one of the first check I carried out around 14V  so I assume it ok. was thinking it could be the TPS?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2021, 09:15:34 pm »
Have a look down the bottom of the page, in the blue highlighted box.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25856.msg319116#msg319116
« Last Edit: 27 November 2021, 09:16:11 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2021, 10:15:00 am »

Thanks for the info, I've carried out all theses checks on the TPS. Rotating the TPS records nothing on the speedo 0mph. with the TPS Reconnected and the engine running rotating the TPS does cause some fluctuations in the engine tone but not a great deal. If a TPS goes defective will this cause the Rev counter to stop working?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2021, 12:20:08 pm »

Thanks for the info, I've carried out all theses checks on the TPS. Rotating the TPS records nothing on the speedo 0mph. with the TPS Reconnected and the engine running rotating the TPS does cause some fluctuations in the engine tone but not a great deal. If a TPS goes defective will this cause the Rev counter to stop working?

The speedo or rev counter not working has nothing to do with the TPS, you've been sent up a blind ally mate. :rolleyes   If you've removed or adjusted the TPS you will now need to rest it as per the manual or you'll start experiencing running and possibly starting issues.

If the rev counter and speedo are messing about, check the earth/ground for the instrument cluster as they share the same ones and as also mentioned a failing battery can also cause issues. 

Failing that but it's unlikely the wheel senor is breaking down and so is the sender on the rev counter but as stated very unlikely they'll both fail at the same time.   Go for the ground connection  ;)   
Later

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2021, 01:48:41 pm »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2021, 02:07:02 pm »
There's several, take each plug/connector coming out/going into the clock binnacle, check and clean every connector both sides, using the wiring diagram check for continuity on the grounds.  It's possible you may have got water ingress into one or more of the plugs/connectors, it may have corroded a pin/s to the point they lose ground.

It's also possible if it bad enough that it's corroded away a pin's or blow some of the internal boards, unlikely but possible.  If that's the case you'll be looking at replacement, unless you've got the kit, components and know how to repair it.       
« Last Edit: 28 November 2021, 03:26:58 pm by Gnasher »
Later

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2021, 06:36:47 pm »
There's several, take each plug/connector coming out/going into the clock binnacle, check and clean every connector both sides, using the wiring diagram check for continuity on the grounds.  It's possible you may have got water ingress into one or more of the plugs/connectors, it may have corroded a pin/s to the point they lose ground.

It's also possible if it bad enough that it's corroded away a pin's or blow some of the internal boards, unlikely but possible.  If that's the case you'll be looking at replacement, unless you've got the kit, components and know how to repair it.     
ok many thanks ill get checking.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2021, 06:41:21 pm »
If the TPS is breaking down it can affect the rev counter. It can randomly misbehave and jump about. It's happened twice on my bike which is why I recognised it so quickly the second time. The perils of buying a used TPS.
I never touched or adjusted anything else at the time and the replacement TPS corrected the problem.

As mentioned it has nothing to do with the speedo though.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2021, 08:31:08 pm »
If the TPS is breaking down it can affect the rev counter. It can randomly misbehave and jump about. It's happened twice on my bike which is why I recognised it so quickly the second time. The perils of buying a used TPS.
I never touched or adjusted anything else at the time and the replacement TPS corrected the problem.

As mentioned it has nothing to do with the speedo though.

Hi thanks for the info, the reason I mentioned the TPS was as I recall the rev counter was working prior to me adjusting it. I've found a few checks i can do to make sure its ok or defective. i.e. resistance checks etc.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2021, 10:38:55 pm »
Remove the Screen and then remove the plug to the clocks and check it for the dreaded blue green corrosion  the , if it is OK there then remove the lift infill panel and check the connectors under the panel also for for the dreaded blue green corrosion

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2021, 07:35:26 pm »
Remove the Screen and then remove the plug to the clocks and check it for the dreaded blue green corrosion  the , if it is OK there then remove the lift infill panel and check the connectors under the panel also for for the dreaded blue green corrosion
Hi where is the lift infill panel, is it the box under the tank with multiple plugs in? sorry for seeming a bit dim! lol!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2021, 08:58:32 pm »
Hi where is the lift infill panel, is it the box under the tank with multiple plugs in? sorry for seeming a bit dim! lol!

Thought it was a typo for *left?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2021, 08:03:36 am »
If a TPS fails it will NOT stop the rev counter working end of.  If you disconnect the TPS the rev counter will still work fine, if the TPS is faulty and connected it will register on the rev counter by making the needle bounce and then go back to normal operation.

Neilr your rev counter stopped working, the TPS route is a blind alley as is the advice not to buy TPS's off ebay, ignore it.  If you buy cheap or second hand no matter where's it's bought you run the risk of it failing, it's not an ebay issue, it's a buyer issue .       
Later

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2021, 10:18:55 am »
If a TPS fails it will NOT stop the rev counter working end of.  If you disconnect the TPS the rev counter will still work fine, if the TPS is faulty and connected it will register on the rev counter by making the needle bounce and then go back to normal operation.

Neilr your rev counter stopped working, the TPS route is a blind alley as is the advice not to buy TPS's off ebay, ignore it.  If you buy cheap or second hand no matter where's it's bought you run the risk of it failing, it's not an ebay issue, it's a buyer issue .     
Thanks everyone, finally found the fault as you told me it was not the TPS. Found a loose/dirty connection in a plug located behind the left hand side panel(black) cleaned up and hey presto! working Rev counter.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2021, 01:38:13 pm »

Where does it say not to buy off eBay?
I supplied a link for eBay!