Date: 26-05-24  Time: 16:59 pm

Author Topic: HELP!!!! Rear brake caliper piston won't seat  (Read 5215 times)

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
HELP!!!! Rear brake caliper piston won't seat
« on: 25 May 2015, 10:39:02 am »
ARRRGGGGHHH!!!  I've had the rear brake caliper stripped to clean up a sticking piston (wheel side), now the bugger won't go back in.  I can't get it past about 5-7mm sticking out.

Think I'm trapping the oil seal?  Any tips?

Bank Holiday and off the road, would appreciate help!!

Ta,
Andy

« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 10:41:23 am by Andy Clap »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!! Rear brake caliper piston won't seat
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2015, 10:52:16 am »
Did you replace the seals or take them out? I'm guessing not. It's most likely a chewed up dust seal or corrosion behind the dust seal forcing it out. That's probably what was causing your original sticking problem. I'd say you'll need to take out the old seals, scrape away the corrosion in the grove and put some new seals in.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 10:53:01 am by His Dudeness »

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2015, 10:53:04 am »
Have you opened bleed nipple?

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 10:54:47 am »
if you do got for seals, be aware of OEM verusus pattern - i went for OEM, little more but i know they are sound.....

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2015, 11:04:01 am »
Thanks for the replies.

The caliper is off the bike, bleed nipples out and split in half.

No, I hadn't replaced the seals, but will have to now, totally FUBAR  :(

Thanks for the hint on corrosion behind the seals, and using OEM.  Given the price I wonder if it's worth getting a replacement caliper?  I believe others are a direct fit.

Cheers,
Andy

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 11:14:58 am »
Look at my thread...

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,16810.0.html

I got a FZS1000 rear from ebay US - 51£ total delivered but i was lucky!!!!!

Last one i saw on UK ebay went for 110£

Regards seals, i ordered pistons as well as seals from USA, and the large cost made it worth while....

If you buy just seals alone then may be similar price from UK as lower shipping...as opposed to US Air Mail and potential customs taxes...

Have you also considered getting them serviced - i don't know what there work is like but have heard good things and its going to cost me around a hundred to get all my calipers sorted when the pistons arrive, i will box the lot and send it to them to fit and service for me http://www.powerhouseautomotive.co.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-services.php, they have been prompt and helpful in conversations so far...

Having said all that the use of a FZS1000 caliper is popular if you can get one, fitting needs a little bit filing off and a few washers, but i am yet to try - will report back when i do!

A few on here have done it...

Anutz

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
Good call on Powerhouse Anutz, only 16 miles from me.  Shame I can't pop over on the bike  :'(

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2015, 02:38:00 pm »
You could remove the dust seal and temporarily only have the fluid seal in the caliper.  The dust seal is just there to stop dirt getting in at the fluid seal. If you're replacing them anyway you could temporarily remove the dust seal and get the caliper back together and working. The caliper will work fine without the dust seal but it's a temporary bodge to get you to a mechanic if that's what you want to do. Don't leave it out for more than a few miles though. Locked on brakes or no brakes is no joke.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2015, 04:29:41 pm »
Thanks for that advice, but I seem to have knackered the fluid seal as well  :rolleyes

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2015, 08:16:03 pm »
You could remove the dust seal and temporarily only have the fluid seal in the caliper.  The dust seal is just there to stop dirt getting in at the fluid seal. If you're replacing them anyway you could temporarily remove the dust seal and get the caliper back together and working. The caliper will work fine without the dust seal but it's a temporary bodge to get you to a mechanic if that's what you want to do. Don't leave it out for more than a few miles though. Locked on brakes or no brakes is no joke.

Took the dust seals out of mine as quick fix to get it through MOT as didn't have time to overhaul replacement caliper.  It's been about 15 months now and still haven't got around to overhauling and fitting the new(er) caliper.

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
start again get another set of seals completely strip caliper clean thoroughly and rebuild
then [size=78%]polish pistons with wire wool and put a smear of vasaline on them slip them back in all the way [/size]
Then install dust seals abit fiddly but can be done
 :) :) :)
waters wet, shit stinks !

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2015, 09:04:19 pm »

Took the dust seals out of mine as quick fix to get it through MOT as didn't have time to overhaul replacement caliper.  It's been about 15 months now and still haven't got around to overhauling and fitting the new(er) caliper.

It's still not something I'd be recommending people to do. I'd only use it to get out of a jam. It is the brakes after all and they're there for a reason. The dust seal always seems to be the one to start sticking on because it's doing it's job stop all the dirt getting to the important fluid seal.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2015, 09:36:29 pm »
start again get another set of seals completely strip caliper clean thoroughly and rebuild
then [size=78%]polish pistons with wire wool and put a smear of vasaline on them slip them back in all the way [/size]

Should be red rubber grease. That's what it's for.  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2015, 07:04:14 pm »

Should be red rubber grease. That's what it's for.  ;)

Luckily I bought a small tin of that off somebody on these forums a couple of months ago "just in case"  :D

Is that right, put the dust seals in AFTER the pistons???