Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:26 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 1000 Headlamp faults  (Read 1067 times)

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Gen 1 1000 Headlamp faults
« on: 30 April 2017, 09:47:58 am »
Hi Peeps
I'm new to Fazers.

Having some electrical gremlins.
Just unpicked a right rats nest of Meta alarm loom bodging.
Alarm had failed before I got the bike, alarm multi-plug had the usual bypass bridging wire (poorly done).
Anyway alarm looms out, both of the alarm multi-plug connectors in the bikes loom under seat have been put back & bridged as per factory spec, bikes a runner.

For some reason I've lost live feed to dip/main beam & dash clocks illumination?.
Could just be a coincidence that some other fault is present, but lights worked prior to removing alarm loom.

Struggling to find what the unused 3pin connector is for next to alarm multi-plug connectors in bikes loom?.
Tested, I have 2 earths & a switched live
Is it for accessories
Any ideas pls?
I suspect ignition switch is faulty? Yet to confirm.
I'm just on with working thru loom.
Headlamp relays test correct as per manual.
Everything works except dip/main & dash clocks illumination.

Finding corroded pins in multi-plugs above rocker cover, removing male/female pins to clean.
Is this a known headlamp fault based on the issues I'm having?

Any helpful ideas are very much appreciated.
Rgds
Gaz
« Last Edit: 30 April 2017, 09:57:31 am by Gaz66 »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 1000 Headlamp faults
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2017, 03:03:02 pm »

Hi,
 I don't know if its the same setup as The FZS600 Foxeye but this might be helpful, as I experienced a head lamp and instrument lighting problem about 2.5 years ago

The Foxeye FZS600 (Maybe Boxeye as well) has a multi-pin plug and socket under the left hand side fairing infill panel (White colored unit) I lost all lights at one point, but, turn off ignition and they came back on, the bike manifested this problem for a couple of weeks but as I don't ride at night very often it was not so much of a problem, although I like the dipped headlights on whilst riding at any time of the day.
I had to use the bike one night and whilst riding down an unfamiliar county lane I was thrown into complete darkness, fortunately enough I had just gone round a sharp left hander that had gravel in the centre of the lane so was down to about 15-20 MPH when it went black, so was able to stop before coming to grief.
The problem was the aforementioned white Multi connector under the L/H side fairing infill panel, water had been getting into it and had caused the pins to corrode on half of the joints, I cut the wires tight to each side of the connector on the corroded pins, bared about 15mm of wire on each pair slipped small bore heat shrink on each pair of wires twisted and soldered the wires together slipped the heat shrink over the solder joint (When it completely cooled) played a gas fag lighter over the joints and Bob is your uncle.
I only did this to the corroded pairs, I spayed the connector liberally with WD 40 pushed them back together and held the 2 halves tight together with a couple on long cable ties, that was 2 years ago and it has never caused another problem. 

To start with just remove the clutch side fairing infill panel switch the ignition on and the lights and juggle squeeze push and pull the large white connector and see what happens they might just flash on, if so that's your problem.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2017, 03:38:15 pm by tommyardin »

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2017, 06:55:44 am »
Cheers for the input Tommy.

Been in garage since daft O'clock yesterday, finally found the problem
Mucho corroded connections in every multiplug.

Every plug pulled apart & cleaned, turns out the fault with headlamps was caused by the plugs under the left fairing infill panel.
Already sorted it before seeing Tommys reply, thanks for your info.
Not surprised really, 14yr old bike, you always inherit work on any used bike or car, neglect from previous ownership etc.
I bought a standard tidy bike as I wanted something fast'n'quiet for a change from my ear splitting modded Moto GP sounding ZRX1136R.

Fazers a way better bike loads more BHP as standard & it handles ok for a standard bike, after I sorted the badly setup suspension.

Defo a brown pants moment if a light failure occurred on a night ride.
Glad it's happened while bike was stripped really.
Onwards & upwards, cleaning/painting bits to tidy the old girl up a bit.

Next jobs..
New tyres, better levers, Renthal lows, standard bars break my wrists.
Rip out all that octopus AIS bollox, block off zorst inlets.
R6 shock on its way shortly, dog bones sourced.
Probly fit an Ivans kit somewhere down the line, bikes quick enough as it is.
Clutch cables dragging so that's to do, probly replace clutch as it feels like springs are past their best.
Svc etc, mod/advance ignition rotor.
Just the usual never ending stuff.

Anyway from experience, headlamp faults!
Multiplug under left infill fairing is a highly recommended 1st port of call.

Loving the bike, even with all its issues.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2017, 08:44:12 am »
Checking the electrical connections especially the connection under the left hand infill and the white one under the tank was already in the FAQ but I've added that the issues with the appropriate connector can be headlamp related. If the information needs to be amended further can you post the details on the FAQ thread and I'll add it.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2017, 02:32:09 pm »
Understood PieEater.
I never thought of looking in FaQ to be honest.

I'll check out FaQ next time if I need a bit of help, I usually get to the bottom of stuff without help, but it's handy to pick other people's brains especially when I'm a newbie.

Rgds
Gaz

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2017, 06:20:32 pm »
No criticism intended I was told that it was a weak point and that I should include it in the FAQ but I honestly didn't know what issues that connector could cause so it was useful information to find out.