Date: 28-04-24  Time: 02:34 am

Author Topic: Helmet cam  (Read 2299 times)

paul1962

• CBT Wobbler
  • Lets be safe out there
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Helmet cam
« on: 12 November 2016, 10:42:32 am »
Does any one on here recomend a helmet cam and if so , how much and where from and how do they fit etc, as I am looking to getting one for future trips on the Fazer and even the bike with no engine just pedals ............................................!!!!

thanks guys

Paul

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet cam
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2016, 11:33:17 am »
Drift Stealth, easy to use, set up and mount. About £100 from ebay.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2016, 11:38:57 am »
GoPro are obviously the first consideration, depending on your budget of course.  After all, they are the mould for action cams that have come since!

One of the latest offerings is the Hero5 Session which records in 4k has advanced wind noise reduction and is voice controlled amongst other things.  Circa £250 without adaptor mind!

I used to have an original GoPro and couldn't fault it.  Been a while and haven't had anything since mind.  I couldn't comment on cheaper alternatives.

Shappaeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2016, 11:50:26 am »
Just got a Drift Stealth 2, good solid cam, weather resistant, light and solid fitting for my helmet. £92 from Amazon.

Also its on the side of my lid rather than the top like some fittings. Easy clip in/out.

1080p at 30fps and has been really good in the poor light recently.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 11:53:20 am by Shappaeye »

paul1962

• CBT Wobbler
  • Lets be safe out there
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2016, 12:10:55 pm »
Thanks guy was looking at between £20 to £30 for one as on Amzon and Ebay incase it get messed up or broken then not to expensive to re place
I understand paying for qualiity but just after a basic cam but the Gopro's do look good though

Paul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
Thanks guy was looking at between £20 to £30 for one as on Amzon and Ebay incase it get messed up or broken then not to expensive to re place
I understand paying for qualiity but just after a basic cam but the Gopro's do look good though

Paul

You will get what you pay for, if you're gonna even contemplate it then do it properly, don't bother buying crap because it's false economy.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2016, 01:58:24 pm »

Paul

You will get what you pay for, if you're gonna even contemplate it then do it properly, don't bother buying crap because it's false economy.

Totally agree, the cheap ones tend to have low res, short battery life  and are not very resilent. My first cam was cheap and didn't last 3 months.If you are on a budget look for a good used one.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2016, 04:23:41 pm »
I agree to some degree with some of the posters in here, you do get what you pay for, but Go-Pro are vastly over priced, and I think you pay for much more than you get. Sure you get a good bit of kit but there are alternatives that offer OK resolution. Do we need 4K? that is very high resolution, most of us will watch our clips either on out computer or big TV screens, 4K is not necessary and you probably would not notice the difference even if it was projected onto a 15 foot screen.

I have a Go-Pro Hero 3 Silver it has the top resolution of 1080P, then 960 then 720 and lowest resolution of WVGA which is not worth even contemplating using.
I have I had it for about 3 maybe 4 years now, I paid about £360 for it when it was new, I do most of my riding filming in 920 or 710
But to be honest the finished clip is hardly any better that some of the action cams on sale in FleaBay for around £45.

Ok sure there will be no support of service with the cheap intimations but if it lasts just one year then its only cost you less that £1 a week, about that the price of a packet of chewing gum.
Don't get me wrong Go Pro are good, I had an issue with mine when it was about 2 maybe 2.5 years old and 18 months out of guarantee I contacted Go Pro and told them about the problem, I posted it off the the Netherlands at their request for repairs and two weeks later I received a free brand new unit compliments of Go Pro. You will not get better service anywhere than that.

Would I but Go-Pro again? you would think so, but I'm afraid I wouldn't, I believe they are probably the best but they have priced themselves out of the market for me.
The Hero Black is now a quid short of £400, you might get it for £300 if you shop around.
When I replace mine I am going down the Fleabay £45 route.
Most technology in the last few years has dropped drastically in price but I am afraid Go Pro are the same price now as they were 5 years ago, and 720 or 960 resolution is plenty good enough for home video clips.
Go to bike meets and ask the bikers who use cams what they think of the unit they are using.
Oh! one other thing is that I use my Hero 3 for snorkeling in Crete and it is waterproof to 40 meters, some of the cheaper ones are just splash/rainproof.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2016, 11:59:40 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2016, 12:01:15 am »
 :agree
Modified the above post because twice i put the name Tom Tom instead of Go-Pro, what a twat. Lol!

Its because i was updating the maps on my Tom Tom whilst posting in here   :groan
« Last Edit: 15 November 2016, 12:03:02 am by tommyardin »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2016, 10:13:32 am »
Modified the above post because twice i put the name Tom Tom instead of Go-Pro, what a twat. Lol!

Its because i was updating the maps on my Tom Tom whilst posting in here   :groan

Multi tasking at your age,  you should know better.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2016, 07:44:38 pm »

Multi tasking at your age,  you should know better.

:lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2016, 10:02:56 pm »
Doh! :rolleyes