Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: Top end rattle  (Read 1489 times)

paul1962

• CBT Wobbler
  • Lets be safe out there
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Top end rattle
« on: 31 October 2016, 06:15:03 pm »
Not really noticed it before but went to start my 2003 Fazse 600, and when it burst into life there was a defo load ish ticking comming for the top of the engine, the bike has done 40,000 but been well looked after is this something I should be worried about only gets a bit quieter when fully warm but not completelty

thanks guys

Paul

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Top end rattle
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2016, 07:49:15 pm »
It's either going to be valve noise or cam chain noise. If you put a screwdriver on the valve cover and the other end at your ear you'll be able hear inside the engine and determine if it's valve noise or cam chain noise. Old oil will increase noise from both of them so if you're due an oil change it'd be no harm changing it and that might help. The cam chain tensioner is automatic and can get stuck or can be between adjustment and causes more cam chain noise. Then one day it just disappears because the tensioner advances and takes up the slack. I've heard if you put the bike in gear and push it backwards you can force the tensioner on a notch. Not too sure if it works or not. At 40k I think you're getting into worn out cam chain territory. Some people get way more mileage out of them but mine was worn out at 40k. Try the screwdriver trick first and try and work out where the noise is coming from.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2016, 08:22:09 pm »
Not any help as-such but on the screwdriver trick it is a good way of hearing stuff. press it on the bit where your ear joins your head near your cheek bone.
I once saw a bloke from the water authority going down the street lifting peoples meter/ stop tap covers and with a long pole to his ear he was listening for the sound of a leak through the pipes. It was a solid pole with a solid blob on the end which he pressed on his ear
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2016, 11:06:12 pm »
 :lol +1 for the wooden screwdriver trick. Doctors aren't the only profession to use a stethoscope.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2016, 12:28:02 pm »
Another 'listening' tip, is a short piece of hose, 12-24 inches long would do.  Stick one end in (or near  :o ) you ear, then move the other end around the engine to narrow down where the noise is coming from.

paul1962

• CBT Wobbler
  • Lets be safe out there
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2016, 04:44:06 pm »
Right guys and thanks for the replies I have it on good authority that it is the cam chain "tickling" now question is do I leave it for a while, try a thicker oil, or save up and arm and a leg and get it done,  thing is does anyone know sort os approx how I am looking at getting the chain done carbs balanced.

thanks

Paul

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
If it's not too bad I'd leave it for a couple of hundred miles and see if the tensioner takes up the slack. If you're due an oil chain you might as well do it. Any Fazer I've heard had a bit of cam chain ticking. It's not really a problem until the tensioner runs out of adjustment then it's time for a new chain. If it needs a new chain you can get a rivet chain for about £70 plus a couple of hours labour to fit it or you can get an endless chain off Yamaha but that needs a full engine strip so it would cost quite a bit more.

paul1962

• CBT Wobbler
  • Lets be safe out there
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2016, 07:02:32 pm »
Thanks again guys, it is defo a ticking noise not a rattle, a bit  like a sewing machine, but does seem to ease as the engine gets warmer so may leave it for a while see if it gets worse
have now done the TPS check and that was out so now set to 5000 rpm, engine runs a bit better now, and ready for its MOT Friday afternoon so fingers crossed......

Paul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2016, 07:14:44 pm »
If the noise subsides when the oil is warm then i wouldn't worry about it for now.
Mine rattled for many months then one day it all went silent, as the tensioner finally clicked another notch.
The silence was deafening.  :lol

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.