wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
tyres
« on: 06 October 2012, 09:58:17 pm »
I bought my fazer last month, everything is going well, just one thing is playing on my mind..
When i bought the bike i just looked at the tyres for tread, but upon closer examination i have noticed they are different brands...
Up front there is a Michelin pilot road 2, on the rear is a Avon AV56 storm st ultra..
The thing that gets me is there both brand new, very little wear.. Why would the previous owner of done this?
I always thought it was commmon place to match tyres?
Should i be concerned, it seems to handle well, but saying that i no real frame of referance as this is my first big bike..
ATB, Wez

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: tyres
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2012, 01:21:29 am »
nah don't worry about it. lots of people mis-match tyres

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2012, 04:49:14 am »
Maybe one's worn (rear) before the other, thus s/he's changed one tyre? Or been on a tight budget and changed one and not the other.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2012, 07:38:54 am »
Could be they had a puncture which could not be repaired and were not able to source same brand tyre,but went for nearest compatible,which sounds like they have achieved successfully as the bike is behaving well :)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2012, 12:33:01 pm »
I've always stayed with the same tyres for the last 3 or 4 changes now, simply because they've been reliable in both wet and dry, with reasonable mileage, but the front and rear are different brands. It's okay to do that in the UK and is a matter of personal choice and also to do with the way you ride the bike.
Each to their own i s'pose.
I've got a mate in the army in Germany who owns a Fazer and to pass the MOT over there you have to not only have the same brand but the same model number of tyre on front and back. I think he had something like a BT20 on the front and a BT21 on the rear but was told it would fail unless he matched one of them!  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

rscarl89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
Just out of interest what is the best alround wet/dry tyre to have on my 2002 fzs 600?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2012, 08:17:46 am »
I've got a mate in the army in Germany

People in Germany don't laugh in pubs, can't tell jokes and their kids don't play football in the streets. 
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2012, 10:04:54 pm »
Just out of interest what is the best alround wet/dry tyre to have on my 2002 fzs 600?

After a little research I chose the Bridgestone BT023 series for all-round wet/dry sports touring tyres.

The BT023 is basically the updated version of the original BT021.

I'm very pleased with them, bike feels planted and handles well, and as sports tourers they should last pretty good with a bit of luck .
« Last Edit: 10 October 2012, 10:15:24 pm by andybesy »

rscarl89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2012, 10:32:27 pm »
Thank you for the advice :)

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2012, 01:10:14 pm »

After a little research I chose the Bridgestone BT023 series for all-round wet/dry sports touring tyres.

I'm very pleased with them, bike feels planted and handles well, and as sports tourers they should last pretty good with a bit of luck .

I have BT023's on the Fazer 8, learning to trust them in the wet after years of Pirelli's on R1 and Fazer 1000. Having said that always had Bridgestones on R6 as couldn't stand Dunlop's Yamaha put on both it and R1's!.
[/size][/color]Had a little front end squirm on Sunday, but roads very greasy, but great in the dry.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2012, 02:21:05 pm »
I always used bt020 and the later models on my R1, they were always superb. My little Fazer 600 has had MAXIS Supermax for the last year. They're cheap and I can easily edge them both sides in the dry. In the wet they're predictable and I've only managed to get them to let go once, and that took some provoking! A superb tyre that I would recommend any day of the year for the little Fazer !
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2012, 04:57:43 pm »
I have just today replaced the Conti RA on the back of my Mk1 600 for a BT021,on the front is a new-ish BT023 and the bike was fine with the worn Conti/new BT023 combination. No issues at all with handling. :D
I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2012, 01:28:49 pm »
I had BT 021's on mine when I bought it. Replaced the worn front with a 023 and it felt better, I'll be sticking a 023 on the back real soon.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

I have BT023's on the Fazer 8, learning to trust them in the wet after years of Pirelli's on R1 and Fazer 1000. Having said that always had Bridgestones on R6 as couldn't stand Dunlop's Yamaha put on both it and R1's!.
Had a little front end squirm on Sunday, but roads very greasy, but great in the dry.

I use the 23's too... A good tyre but square off quickly on the motorway.. give confidence in the twisties!  :rollin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!