Date: 20-05-24  Time: 05:33 am

Author Topic: Another Take on a cheap EXUP cable for the Gen 1's  (Read 1005 times)

blaine

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Mainly Yamaha's and Suzuki's
    • View Profile
Another Take on a cheap EXUP cable for the Gen 1's
« on: 03 March 2013, 09:59:06 pm »
1st time poster so Hello.

I have not needed to replace my Exup cables on my Fazer to date so cant backup with pics etc but hopefully my verbal (mis)directions may make sense.

I have done this in the past with other exup systems on the yamaha in the late 80's and on into the 90's.  The exup cables have always been hard on the wallet or maybe I'm just tight...

As we know it's the inners that fail 1st most times and this fix counts on the outers being in good order for re-use, but you can get away with one if need be and just use a generic outer sleeve on the other.

So you have a good set of outers with the inners removed.
Next you want the inner cable either from venhills etc or a good quality cycle shop and four solder-less nipples minimum. I can and do loose them so more is good and you may decide to make all the ends solder-less.

So far it looks like the usual fix but there is one difference you only use ONE inner cable so make sure it's long enough, I would guess in excess of 2 meters.

Thread in the inner cable from the servo and through the sleeve down towards the exup, have the two solder-less nipples in place ready to thread the inner through, a bit fiddly but not too much just keep the end of the cable snag free.  Dont tighten the nipples yet.

After negotiating the exup return back up to the servo via the vacant(bit like me sometimes) sleeve and onto the solder-less nipple at the servo.

Ensure the outer sleeves have some adjustment in them and pull gently on the inner cable to tension before securing the solder-less nipple at the servo and trimming the wire to suit.

Remembering the unsecured solder-less nipples at the exup setup the valve as per Yamaha's instructions and then secure the nipples, that's me waffling as I dont know the setup procedure.

I do it this way as I went thought the hassle of failing cables both Yamaha and made up and this proved to be the best solution for me, the load on the cables (cable) is reduced and I've even got away with one solder-less nipple at the bottom in the past.   told you I lose them....

As ever be safe when working on your bike, robotic arms are good for being safe.

I'll edit any bloopers (maybe)

« Last Edit: 03 March 2013, 10:05:13 pm by blaine »