Date: 19-05-24  Time: 12:04 pm

Author Topic: front subframe vibration  (Read 1635 times)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
front subframe vibration
« on: 15 July 2012, 07:19:00 am »

my fairing, light unit and screen vibrate from around 1600 - 3000 rpm. this is the very last issue left to fix on my bike, i've done all the rest now including the obligatory clutch rattle!

i think it's the top of the screen that makes the noise as i can get hold of it and the noise stops, so if i can stop that rattling that will do.

to fix this i have tried 3 things:

firstly i removed the screen and added some ikea furniture style clear rubber pads between the screen and the fairing. no difference.

then i bought grahamb's breaker front clock bracket (and had it powder coated) and fitted it instead of the original. it make a marginal difference - it brought the vibration about 1000 rpm lower down the rev range.

yesterday i ran it in and mechanic marc and i balanced the carbs. this made no discernible difference (to the vibration).

so now i am stuck. any ideas or suggestions please?
is it clean enough?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: front subframe vibration
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2012, 10:58:30 am »
Is this vibration still present when the bike is stationary, engine-running?  Just want to be clear whether it's transfer of engine vibes to the subframe rather than road induced.

Standard screen or aftermarket?

Has the front end be damaged in an accident?

« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 11:00:16 am by Falcon 269 »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2012, 01:09:01 pm »
i think it's the top of the screen that makes the noise as i can get hold of it and the noise stops, so if i can stop that rattling that will do.
Yeahs its simple (I fixed this on my fazer ages ago)

Just pit a strip of double sided foam tape between the screen and the fairing,  on eacth side where the screen bolts to the fairing. Cut it to shape and stick it to the fairing first and leave the backing tape on the side facing the screen otherwise you`ll never get it off :-)
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 01:10:00 pm by b1k3rdude »

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2012, 03:51:55 pm »

hmmm, i will try the double sided foam tape trick but not immediately as i will have to acquire some.

vibration is present when stationary, yes and then when i pull away from rest and when i slow to a stop. when filtering through stationary traffic to the front of a queue i've noticed one or two drivers turning to look at what the noise is!

it's the yamaha touring screen fitted, the only one i have so i can't try another in its place.
is it clean enough?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2012, 10:25:21 pm »

.. when filtering through stationary traffic to the front of a queue i've noticed one or two drivers turning to look at what the noise is!

Vibration-induced rattles can be awkward to trace and cure.  It may not be the screen itself creating the noise.  The fact that grabbing the screen stops it doesn't prove anything, really. :)

I'd start by removing the inner fairing panels and the screen and seeing if the noise persists.  If not, add back components one by one until you find which one it is that creates the rattle.   It could be a simple as a part of the wiring loom vibrating against the fairing.

Make sure the fairing subframe is straight and bolted up correctly.  Same applies for the side brackets, particularly the one holding the reg/rec.

Basically, strip and rebuild the front end piece by piece until you determine the source of the noise.