Date: 18-05-24  Time: 19:27 pm

Author Topic: High beam switch  (Read 5024 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: High beam switch
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2017, 07:34:36 pm »
Just because something is new does not mean it cannot fail.
Was it a genuine Yamaha rectifier/regulator or a spurious part?

Where did you buy it, many Chinese copies being passed off as genuine Shindengen units and are crap

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2017, 07:42:10 pm »
Could it be that the wire that you found had been chafing wasn't the only one and that somewhere else on the circuit there's also a shorting wire ?? Or it's something on that circuit ,the problem started with the high beam If the output measured was 14.5 volts that would that suggest that the alternator doing its job and you've replaced the battery and reg/rec and if I've understood correctly that the only electrical problem you've had is the high beam then maybe go back to that

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2017, 08:52:07 pm »

Where did you buy it, many Chinese copies being passed off as genuine Shindengen units and are crap

My mate said the same.
Is there a way of testing one off the bike, as i still have the one i took off?
I only replaced it to eliminate it from my other starting issue which turned out to be moisture in the fuel tank, which i've now got sorted.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2017, 08:54:31 pm »
Could it be that the wire that you found had been chafing wasn't the only one and that somewhere else on the circuit there's also a shorting wire ?? Or it's something on that circuit ,the problem started with the high beam If the output measured was 14.5 volts that would that suggest that the alternator doing its job and you've replaced the battery and reg/rec and if I've understood correctly that the only electrical problem you've had is the high beam then maybe go back to that

The damaged wire was was about 5mm from the headlight push on socket.
Bit baffled as there's nothing near it to rub on it?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 February 2017, 09:20:32 pm »
Okay, my bad, i just got told that it was being hit by other wires.
It's properly heat shrinked now though.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 February 2017, 09:38:28 pm »
You say the current went down to 1.5amps. What current? If it's the current into the battery then I'm not surprised it falls as things get switched on because the regulator is sending power to them as well as the battery. So long as it is still charging the battery I wouldn't worry. If it went to -1.5 A then I'd worry.
If you've got both headlights on and the heated grips you've got to be drawing 12 amps or more out of the regulator and it's still managing to charge the battery..........
Malc

Old enough to know better.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 February 2017, 09:55:54 pm »

My mate said the same.
I only replaced it to eliminate it from my other starting issue which turned out to be moisture in the fuel tank, which i've now got sorted.

Not really, as you would need  something to act as a Generator to supply adjustable 3 phase AC.
Simply way to check even though it is not fool proof, is turn on the ignition, put a meter across the battery and start the engine. Voltmeter will drop to around 10.5 to 11volts. Rev it to about 4-5000 check the reading on the meter, the voltage should start rising, now switch on the headlights, battery voltage will drop and start to rise again. If it fails this you will need to check the output of the Generator as explained in my earlier post.
However most Generators and Rectifier/Regulators fail when hot and it is better to this check after a trip.

Why not replace the regulator/rectifier with the old one and see how it goes.

I found that in the winter time when I go to work the short way in traffic most of the time, I would have to give the battery a boost from the optimate every 6 to 8 weeks, as it is never gets completely fully charged due to insufficient time above the 5000 revs mark

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2017, 10:10:43 pm »

My mate said the same.

Not really, as you would need  something to act as a Generator to supply adjustable 3 phase AC.
Simply way to check even though it is not fool proof, is turn on the ignition, put a meter across the battery and start the engine. Voltmeter will drop to around 10.5 to 11volts. Rev it to about 4-5000 check the reading on the meter, the voltage should start rising, now switch on the headlights, battery voltage will drop and start to rise again. If it fails this you will need to check the output of the Generator as explained in my earlier post.
However most Generators and Rectifier/Regulators fail when hot and it is better to this check after a trip.

Why not replace the regulator/rectifier with the old one and see how it goes.

I found that in the winter time when I go to work the short way in traffic most of the time, I would have to give the battery a boost from the optimate every 6 to 8 weeks, as it is never gets completely fully charged due to insufficient time above the 5000 revs mark

Ok mate, that's certainly an option, thanks for the good info.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 February 2017, 10:14:16 pm »
You say the current went down to 1.5amps. What current? If it's the current into the battery then I'm not surprised it falls as things get switched on because the regulator is sending power to them as well as the battery. So long as it is still charging the battery I wouldn't worry. If it went to -1.5 A then I'd worry.
If you've got both headlights on and the heated grips you've got to be drawing 12 amps or more out of the regulator and it's still managing to charge the battery..........

Okey doke, i'll keep an eye on it anyway when i'm back on it on Monday.
It's starting okay now anyway since i put booze through the tank to rid the system of any moisture.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 February 2017, 10:29:32 pm »
S'pose i could always go to and from work using only 1st gear, that'll keep the revs up.  :lol

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2017, 10:46:57 pm »

Sorry what I meant was somewhere on the whole full beam circuit , I mean it's not just a wire from the switch to the bulb, could there have been 2 faults on the circuit and you've found 1 hence the problem still exists ,
Ockhams fazer theory 😀

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 February 2017, 11:45:55 pm »

Sorry what I meant was somewhere on the whole full beam circuit , I mean it's not just a wire from the switch to the bulb, could there have been 2 faults on the circuit and you've found 1 hence the problem still exists ,
Ockhams fazer theory 😀

Only way i can really test it is by taking it for a spin with the headlight on full beam.
Not really desirable because if it's still wrong the batery will literally be flat once the key is turned off.
The wire that was fixed today could very possibly have been goosed from years ago without me knowing about it.
When i bought the bike it was in a bit of a sorry state and had blatantly been dropped on the right side as the poor repairs to the fairing were quite apparent.
I've slowly repaired things over time, but as i have no real need to use the high beam, other than the odd pass light, i've kind of worked round it.
The wire found today was weird 'cos when not connected the high beam dash light came on, but once resoldered it worked properly again when needed.