Date: 16-04-24  Time: 07:51 am

Author Topic: Long time no post  (Read 1514 times)

silly simon

• Forgetfull foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Car
    • View Profile
Long time no post
« on: 17 February 2013, 07:53:20 pm »
Hello Foccers,
It's been a while since I posted on here, and so I thought i'd let you all know that my biking career is now at an end due to Spinal surgery due on the 26th of this month :'(
I have been in varying amounts of pain over the years since prolapsing a lumbar disc,which was repaired and subsequently 5 years later re-prolapsed causing more pain and discomfort.
Well now they have decided to fuse the spine in that area to eliminate the majority of the pain for good (hopefully)
Friends I have known on this forum are very good indeed and I will miss getting to meet new one's :(
Take it easy and ride safe everyone
Regards
Simon
Bungey wouldn't break 🙂

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Long time no post
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2013, 08:25:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that mate

I had a discectomy a couple of years back & im virtually pain free now but i always feel like i'm on borrowed time & i'm gonna enjoy it for however long it lasts,i've followed all the advice down to the last t & i'm the resident self proclaimed workplace ergonomics master & general pain in the arse about such things to my colleagues.im sure you know coz youve already been through it but you'll find no end of miserable posts about back operation failure on the net with hardly any successes but that's only coz the succeses never bother to post,kinda like the papers are never full of good news.lots of walking & weight training have been my saviours,i actually squat with heavy dumbells,strict form & it helps my back no end so dont be too scared to keep as active as you can.

I hope you can keep the bike in storage & get back riding, i dont know your story but i should think its still feasible,i actually personally know 2 guys that have had the spinal fusion,one of them drinks every night,is overweight & does bugger all excercise,he's in allot of pain & on about seeing his doctor again,the other one climbs mountains, is a high ropes climbing instructor & has just joined the army reserves & hardly gets any pain,possibly coincidence but i know what i think.

Stay positive, stay biking.all the best 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Long time no post
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2013, 07:42:16 am »
Two very nice posts (apart from the obvious of course :-) sorry to hear that mate and i kinda know where ur comin from as i suffer with back pain for 20 yrs now. I built a big shelving unit for the kids to cover the whole wall and fixed it together on the ground hoping to lift it up and fix it at the top. I attempted to lift and felt my back go. Agony for 2 weeks and outta my head on diazrpam. After that iy flared up every 18mnths or so and i was told to rest and given happy meds until 1 doc i saw mentioned pilates. Library, book,read and foccin wow did it help. There are specific exersises for back pain that r brilliant provided u do them every morning and evening when the spine is at its shortest and longest. 20 min morn and evening when i feel my back gettin worse and it sorts it out. Read up on it as i think it will help u alot. Take care and dont sell the bike just yet mate. Wait and see wot appens. U can still come to some meets in a cage and stare in awe at the blue bikes and how fast they look. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2013, 08:19:33 am »
Hi Simon - sorry to hear your have so many problems with you back - as one of the earlier post said - there are two types of people who have back injuries , those who give up and those who keep kicking .
I know its a shit to keep kicking (  I fractured two lumbar vertebrae which subsequently sliced the adjoining discs to shreds) but long term its worth it - with the help of drugs and a sense of humour ( and a supportive wife) I'm still active even though its taken a long time ( just returned to motorcycles after a 10 year break).

What ever happens best of luck with your opp - and remember you can always buy another bike in the future,

thinking of you

Ponkster

PS let us know how you get on and stay on the forum.

"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2013, 11:23:26 am »
Nice to hear from you again Simon, sorry you back pain is giving you so much grief. I hope your op goes well. I have 3 biker mates who have had ops, one discectomy and two with pins and rods, all successful and allowing them to continue, so don't give up hope.
I have struggled with back pain for many years, inoperable, but still manage with pills etc. Moving from the Fazer 1 to the Fazer 8 has helped, (lighter and easier to move around), so maybe that could be a future option.
Good luck and stick around the forum.  :thumbup 
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

MarchRide

• Big Lump o' Sex
    Prefers his pussies ginger!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2013, 03:13:33 pm »
As I'm old school on here, I'm allowed to call you a poof!!  :rollin
Hope all goes well matey, maybe catch you at BOTW one day.  :kiss

silly simon

• Forgetfull foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Car
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes guy's :)  I have been reading the Pilates bumff and until after the op I don't think it will do me much good, compression of at least one,possibly two lumba disc's :eek  so will have to wait and see what happen's.
And as for you Marchride your not old school, Youre just fecking OLD  :lol :lol :lol
Hope you are well mate and yes it would be great to catch up with you all at BOTW sometime  :D
Bungey wouldn't break 🙂

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2013, 01:37:38 pm »
it might be silly saying this, but do get second opinions. When I was facing a full wrist fusion back in 2007( advice from midlands top hand surgeon),as all my wrist bones had shattered ligaments, I insisted he try another path....he performed  a partial fusion, with screws  and reshaping of my radius...now 6 yrs on its slightly painful at times, but still have 80 % movement.I believe in power of positive thought and going with your heart. In my case I felt the fusion was the cheaper easier option for the surgeon, and not the best for me. The last 6 yrs have been very precious to me, and I hope for maybe another 6 before I lose all my wrist movement.
I too concur with doing the best with what you have, something which the numerous programmes of amputees etc who face an incredibly far steeper issue than mine, always give me encouragement that its worth fighting for what you can .Never give up.In my case I am sure that by constant exercising and strict adherance to physio work helped my wrist recover so well.That and the grace of god and  a brilliant surgeon !
All the best for the future  btw.