Date: 27-04-24  Time: 15:33 pm

Poll

Which Fazer is the best?

FZS600 - the original (boxeye or foxeye)
FZS1000 - is it really just a bigger FZS600?
FZ6 (S1 and S2)
FZ1
Fazer 8

Author Topic: Which Fazer is the best and why?  (Read 2040 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Which Fazer is the best and why?
« on: 11 June 2023, 08:56:02 pm »
So, we are all here because of the Yamaha Fazer but which one is the best?

I have had several FZS600 and regret selling my first one but have also ridden the FZ1. The FZ1 didn't do anything for me. It just felt big and cumbersome. It was quick but was not the bike for me. I have sat on the FZ6 and the FZS1000 but never ridden them.

So which ones have you ridden, which was the better one and why?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Which Fazer is the best and why?
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2023, 09:34:18 pm »
I can t really comment since ive only ever ridden the fz6 s2, but i will throw into the mix that I would never have another carburated motorcycle, both from personal experoence and noting the many posts on here regarding carb problems with the fzs600. That alone makes the fz6 s2 a superior machine to the fzs600

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2023, 12:30:27 am »
I've only ridden my FZ6-SA, so I have no comparison to make, but I agree with agricola that the FI system is so much better than having to faff around with carbs!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2023, 08:49:31 am »
but equally, it cant be denied that the fzs600 was blisteringly good machine when it came out, Right bike. right price, good performance, and sold well. The foxeye was much better looking than its predecessor, and still is in my view

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2023, 12:29:20 pm »
Another one here who has only ridden an FZS600 boxeye - the same bike for the last 22 years in fact. Although I have had other bikes before. I have thought about getting the 1000 a few times but every time I come to the same conclusion, I don't take luggage or pillion, I don't tour, I dont ride at night, the 600 fits my weight and build perfectly I have no interest in going fast in a straight line which as I see it is the only thing a 1000 would do for me. Also I believe the DIY maintenance is easier on the 600 ??
So without any other experience my vote go's to the FZS600 -- and the black one --- it has to be black.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2023, 08:04:06 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2023, 02:58:44 pm »
As the owner of an 2003 FZS600 foxeye and a 2006 FZS1000 Gen1 and ridden all the variations, my preference used to be always the foxeye. However once the FZS1000 has its suspension sorted it is extremely difficult to say which is best. I have toured two up on both andhad hi speed runs on both and if asked to sell one in the morning I could never decide which.I had an FZS600 boxeye and the lights and charging system were not great and not easily or cheaply sorted the Fox eye was a gret improvement
I would have to say the are equal at the end.

I have ridden the FZ6 and FZ6 S2 the S2 being a far suoerior bike to the FZ6 and the FZ1 does not cut it in my book. The first 06,07  FZ1 was a terrible machine with serious problems Charging system and frames and the later one was a huge improvement but still with charging issue up to 2014 ( I think) however they were not as comfortable or fuel efficient as the earlier models. FZ8 was similiar to FZ1 but lacked power. Again took a while to set them up and they do handle well when sorted but the throttle was to snatchy compared to a CV carb bike.   

My vote would be
FZS600 foxeye = FZS1000
FZ6 S2

FZS600 Boxeye
FZ1FZ8
FZ6

This will probably upset many but it is just my opinion
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 12:48:50 am by unfazed »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2023, 08:05:38 pm »
I can t really comment since ive only ever ridden the fz6 s2, but i will throw into the mix that I would never have another carburated motorcycle, both from personal experoence and noting the many posts on here regarding carb problems with the fzs600. That alone makes the fz6 s2 a superior machine to the fzs600

I would suggest most carb issues are due to poor practice along with ethanol laced fuel. Fortunately I’ve had no problems but I do take precautions of filling up with E0 before parking up for winter. I’ve seen the damage ethanol causes in mowers / chainsaws. Saws get drained after each use if there’s fuel left.

RobG UK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2023, 08:46:21 pm »
Had a box eye, fox eye and thou and tried out an Fz6.  Best is the fox eye cos it has everything the box has + headlights and tank range.  Thou is a great machine but needs work to ride hard(and a decent shock)  Fz6 is good, handles well but doesn't do the all rounder job as well as the old one.

Was looking at bikes last month and looked at V strom, Versys , Nc750, and Tracer 700.  Went through the tests and spec etc and ended up buying another foxeye,  moral for me seems to be why pay loads of money for something that is only marginally better than a 20 year old bike for 2K.

Weirdly (and it must be my age) out of the others the NC was most appealing lol

« Last Edit: 12 June 2023, 08:49:21 pm by RobG UK »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2023, 10:28:21 pm »
I can t really comment since ive only ever ridden the fz6 s2, but i will throw into the mix that I would never have another carburated motorcycle, both from personal experience and noting the many posts on here regarding carb problems with the fzs600. That alone makes the fz6 s2 a superior machine to the fzs600
Never had an issue on any of my carburetor model bikes. My 600 has 97000miles and the 1000 has 50000miles. The 2 Serows I own have 20000 miles on each also without issue. Any problems I have come across is with is fuel evaporation especially with Ethanol based fuels causing jet clogging. I have seen similar issues with fuel injected bikes with injectors clogging from fuel being left in them for long periods of non use. However it does take longer to cause issue than  carbs as they are less prone to evaporation. Blocked injectors are a bigger pain to sort than blocked jets and more expensive.The only injected bikes I have ridden that I could live with were the FJR1300 and believe it or not the S1000RR.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2023, 11:13:17 pm »
I will not put e10 in my 25 year old bike i do not care if I am told it is safe and effective  ;)
Any future issues ‐ how can I prove it was the e10 and who is going to compensate me. I will trust my instincts again on this me thinks
« Last Edit: 12 June 2023, 11:56:30 pm by fazersharp »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2023, 07:37:58 am »
What fazersharp said :thumbup :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2023, 10:58:27 am »
I will not put e10 in my 25 year old bike i do not care if I am told it is safe and effective  ;)
Any future issues ‐ how can I prove it was the e10 and who is going to compensate me. I will trust my instincts again on this me thinks
I use it in all my bikes without issue, but would not be leaving them idle for more than a month without using an additive.
I was nervous at first but had no choice at the start as I needed fuel and there was nothing else available.
The 600 and 1000 are still on their first day O Rings in the carbs

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2023, 11:15:12 am »
I use it in all my bikes without issue, but would not be leaving them idle for more than a month without using an additive.
I was nervous at first but had no choice at the start as I needed fuel and there was nothing else available.
The 600 and 1000 are still on their first day O Rings in the carbs

I frequently leave my bike for 2 -8 weeks between rides. And mostly use the 99oct it in my 16 plate car, and I am sure I get more mpg than when I use e10 

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2023, 12:48:16 pm »
What fazersharp said :thumbup :thumbup

I have used E10 when I know it will be essentially all used in one day. But I would not leave it. I drained a mower last year that had sat for no more than one winter. The ‘fuel’ was disgusting and you could drain off over 50% water and ethanol mix. Carbs are more susceptible as pointed out.

Fazer carbs are 20 years old on my bike and been off once - to fit Ivan’s kit. Other than that it’s been good as gold 👍

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2023, 01:14:34 pm »

More internet scare mongering  :rolleyes bit like if you travel at over 20mph the air will be sucked out of your lungs, which was once banded about by scare mongers   :rolleyes

Yesterday I pulled out my XJR1300 and my X10 both are filled with E10, both haven't been run since Oct last year, not even started, both started first prod.  I see bikes week in week out that are run on E10 and have done so since it was introduced into the UK, I've yet to see any having issues with anything.  Good friends of mine also in the trade in France, Belgium, Germany and Italy where E10 petrol has been used for something like 10 years and is the only type available, haven't reported any issues either.  The issue is not engine/performance related in any case, it's fuel system seals and hoses. Basically most vehicles before the mid 80's/early 90's didn't have seals/hoses that can work with more than 5% ethanol without starting to degrade.

Most Jap manufactures can use E10 fuel from early 90's on nearly all models, the exception is Kawasaki who have problems with most of their range pre mid 20's and these must be run on E5 or have their fuel systems up graded.  Lord knows why they didn't follow the others. 

All Yams since 1990 can use E10, use it or don't, just stop scare mongering.
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2023, 01:26:50 pm »

More internet scare mongering  :rolleyes bit like if you travel at over 20mph the air will be sucked out of your lungs, which was once banded about by scare mongers   :rolleyes

Yesterday I pulled out my XJR1300 and my X10 both are filled with E10, both haven't been run since Oct last year, not even started, both started first prod.  I see bikes week in week out that are run on E10 and have done so since it was introduced into the UK, I've yet to see any having issues with anything.  Good friends of mine also in the trade in France, Belgium, Germany and Italy where E10 petrol has been used for something like 10 years and is the only type available, haven't reported any issues either.  The issue is not engine/performance related in any case, it's fuel system seals and hoses. Basically most vehicles before the mid 80's/early 90's didn't have seals/hoses that can work with more than 5% ethanol without starting to degrade.

Most Jap manufactures can use E10 fuel from early 90's on nearly all models, the exception is Kawasaki who have problems with most of their range pre mid 20's and these must be run on E5 or have their fuel systems up graded.  Lord knows why they didn't follow the others. 

You are reading things that are not there, how can I be scare mongering when I have not given an exact reason as to why I do not use it.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 13 June 2023, 01:27:47 pm by fazersharp »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2023, 04:27:42 pm »

Super unleaded just gives me a placebo feeling of the bike running better and giving more mpg. It probably isn't and doesn't but i will enjoy the occasional placebo.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2023, 07:32:25 pm »
If I'm on tour, and filling up each day, I'm happy to use E10. But if it's laid up at all, then super it is.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2023, 03:48:00 am »

Super unleaded just gives me a placebo feeling of the bike running better and giving more mpg. It probably isn't and doesn't but i will enjoy the occasional placebo.

It's because it's not a placebo effect at all. If you filled my tank with E10, then again with 99 RON ethanol free ESSO Supreme+ and i had to guess which was which i reckon i'd get it right every time. Some of us actually have a sensitive side and can tell these things apart.  :lol

As for which bike, i've only ever ridden the Boxeye which has served me very well and has been great fun, but the fact that the Foxeye tidied a few issues up, like the lights, slightly bigger tank, etc, would make my vote sway towards it.
I nearly bought a 1000 a few years back but realised i simply didn't need it, and it would be more unnecessary expense to maintain, more insurance, more fuel, etc, plus more weight which certainly wouldn't be welcomed due to what seems like constant roadworks and traffic on my journeys these days.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2023, 03:58:46 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

defdaz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2023, 10:18:52 am »
I've had the OG Fazer 600 and the Gen 1 Fazer 1000. Both were incredible bikes, both made me very happy.

After a while with the 600 I did start to miss having more power.

The thou though, wow, what an incredible bike it is. I've never felt such a combination of power, comfort and handling before, and I've owned many bikes over the years.

I had to sell the thousand when I moved house 18 months ago and I've missed it so badly ever since. In fact, I'm moving back to England from Australia in a week and one of the first things I'll be doing is getting a Gen 1 Fazer 1000. I cannot wait!!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2023, 01:01:45 pm »

You'll have little choice now  :lol
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2023, 01:20:50 pm »
I can t really comment since ive only ever ridden the fz6 s2, but i will throw into the mix that I would never have another carburated motorcycle, both from personal experience and noting the many posts on here regarding carb problems with the fzs600. That alone makes the fz6 s2 a superior machine to the fzs600
Never had an issue on any of my carburetor model bikes. My 600 has 97000miles and the 1000 has 50000miles. The 2 Serows I own have 20000 miles on each also without issue. Any problems I have come across is with is fuel evaporation especially with Ethanol based fuels causing jet clogging. I have seen similar issues with fuel injected bikes with injectors clogging from fuel being left in them for long periods of non use. However it does take longer to cause issue than  carbs as they are less prone to evaporation. Blocked injectors are a bigger pain to sort than blocked jets and more expensive.The only injected bikes I have ridden that I could live with were the FJR1300 and believe it or not the S1000RR.

Pretty much every bike I see/work on that's had/got fuel system issues be they Crab or Injected is down to other issues not the fuel be that E5 or 10.  Crab model bikes imported into the UK above 250cc are as far as I'm aware all injected and have been for approximately 10yrs ish, over 500cc longer.

Every Fazer or any other bike, I've worked on/repaired with blocked jets has been due to, contaminated fuel being put in, rust in the tank, leaking filler cap seals or split fuel pipes, allowing water ingress, the same applies to injections systems.  The issue is the owners not the fuel it's self. 

Later