Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:08 pm

Author Topic: Expensive sprocket alternative?  (Read 796 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Expensive sprocket alternative?
« on: 06 April 2023, 05:53:10 pm »
Five or six a year I'll take the bike up to Donington Park and have some track time. I love it. But because I always go down a tooth on the front sprocket for the day, and the sprocket nut always tightens up to the same spot on the transmission shaft and can only be used once as the lip area is weak and only designed for single use, I could spend £140 a year on nuts. I looked at cutting some more dimples on the shaft to allow the nuts to be reused, but couldn't get anything in as access is tight. Nor do I have access to a surface grinder or lathe to shave a gnats cock of either the nut or the spacer that sits behind it, that would allow alternative dimpling positions. An option is getting some shim steel and cutting a shim/some shims in order to move the dimple points around a little. Other suggestions are welcome on this one.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: Expensive sprocket alternative?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2023, 06:14:14 pm »
Drill the nut on the corners, use a Renthal race sprocket (with holes) & wire lock nut to sprocket, no need to keep replacing nuts, always wash threads with brake cleaner & use a couple of dabs of red loctite ...  :thumbup

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2023, 08:45:38 pm »
Drill the nut on the corners, use a Renthal race sprocket (with holes) & wire lock nut to sprocket, no need to keep replacing nuts, always wash threads with brake cleaner & use a couple of dabs of red loctite ...  :thumbup

Not sure thats possible, as there s a 37mm x 20mm x 4 mm spacer between the nut and the sprocket, but I'll have a look

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2023, 03:53:58 am »
Silly me, and lacking experience to comment really but isn't it a bit overkill for a track day  :'( 
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2023, 03:24:06 pm »
Its actually a good suggestion, I am going to look at that one. As for overkill, not really, I'd say that a very large number of riders swap sprockets for trackdays, some have specific sizes for specific tracks.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2023, 10:21:27 am »
What about just keeping the down one tooth permanently on the bike. Unless you do a lot of long distance motorway I can't see a problem.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2023, 06:27:37 pm »
What about just keeping the down one tooth permanently on the bike. Unless you do a lot of long distance motorway I can't see a problem.

Speedo reads out and Im not wanting a speedo healer particularly, plus its a sizeable hit on economy. I dont mind swapping sprockets, its no bother to me and doesnt take long at all, its just the cost of the nuts thats winding me up. I will get around one way or another, safely.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2023, 08:02:03 pm »

Speedo reads out and Im not wanting a speedo healer particularly, plus its a sizeable hit on economy. I dont mind swapping sprockets, its no bother to me and doesnt take long at all, its just the cost of the nuts thats winding me up. I will get around one way or another, safely.
yes I can see the hit on economy but that is easily controlled by your right hand is it not ;) . Unless you do a lot of motorway and dual carriage way riding.
I was under the impression the speed readout it fed by the front wheel.
Sorry my bad i thought you had a FZS Fazer. Perhaps if you did then you would have no need to go down a tooth :lol
« Last Edit: 16 April 2023, 08:06:13 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.