Date: 20-05-24  Time: 04:18 am

Author Topic: 33bhp kits  (Read 3182 times)

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
33bhp kits
« on: 18 April 2014, 05:47:41 pm »
hello folks,i see most 33bhp kits are washer based ,carbs out washer in .ihave come across a set for sale that have washers,springs and what looks like pins .i need to no is this type of kit a straight foward job ,what the springs and pins are for or should this tpe of kit be avoided. this kit comes in at right price so if its ok it would be bought. I no this is an old subject but i could find no info on this type of restrictor. Many many thanks CT

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 33bhp kits
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
Hopefully christo knows, he had the 33bhp restriction on his Fazer :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2014, 06:03:34 pm »
hello folks,i see most 33bhp kits are washer based ,carbs out washer in .ihave come across a set for sale that have washers,springs and what looks like pins .i need to no is this type of kit a straight foward job ,what the springs and pins are for or should this tpe of kit be avoided. this kit comes in at right price so if its ok it would be bought. I no this is an old subject but i could find no info on this type of restrictor. Many many thanks CT
....not seen that type but i have a set of the washer ones if you want them?.....for the price of the postage they are yours!! :) ....pm me your addy if you want them?..clive

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2014, 06:20:27 pm »
They are most likely the genuine Yamaha ones which factory restricted the 600

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
It is indeed!

I had the carb washers in the ZX4. O, Gods, they were fucking awful! You're accelerarating, you're accelerating, you hit the restrictor and the bike goes Bleurgh! Lkie riding into a very deep puddle from speed.

The kit you have is the official Yam one, and dampens the entire system. You lose out on the top end, but because the entire map has been detuned, you get a smoother machine. None of this sudden Bleurgh! (It runs out of puff, it doesn't run into a brick wall). You can still hit the rev limiter on that kit, you'll struggle on the washers.

Just for reference, I had that kit in my last 600, and was able to keep up with most of the LoFos on most of the rides.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
Thanks very much ,Im new to all this and this is such a great help ,so many kind and helpfull people ,were else would someone be so kind to offer washers ,love the bike love the club  love the help thanks agian folks CT62
It is indeed!

I had the carb washers in the ZX4. O, Gods, they were fucking awful! You're accelerarating, you're accelerating, you hit the restrictor and the bike goes Bleurgh! Lkie riding into a very deep puddle from speed.

The kit you have is the official Yam one, and dampens the entire system. You lose out on the top end, but because the entire map has been detuned, you get a smoother machine. None of this sudden Bleurgh! (It runs out of puff, it doesn't run into a brick wall). You can still hit the rev limiter on that kit, you'll struggle on the washers.

Just for reference, I had that kit in my last 600, and was able to keep up with most of the LoFos on most of the rides.  :)

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2014, 09:19:54 pm »
Caretaker - I've just this week taken the 33 bhp kit off my son's FZS 600 (4 washers, easily fitted) - and we bought the kit with all of the appropriate certification.

If you'd like it, send me a pm (it cost £155 2 years ago, but it is only 4 washers, the certificate is what had the value) I'd be happy to sell it - really cheap, as we've had our use out of it. It's an easy fit, it's just getting the carbs off and on is a but diddly - remember though, your insurer won't accept that the bike is restricted unless you have the certification.

The kit worked well, the bike could still top 100 mph, but whacking the throttle open just exacerbated the fact that the inlet was restricted and meant that higher revs, more throttle meant no more power and no more revs).

My son never felt it was a problem, he just learned how to use the throttle properly.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2014, 09:22:57 pm by Millietant »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

they were fucking awful! You're accelerarating, you're accelerating, you hit the restrictor and the bike goes Bleurgh! Lkie riding into a very deep puddle from speed.

I think the point of them is to stop you accelerating accelerating and then accelerating.

Until, so I understand it,  the third acceleration followed by bump. thus highlighting the requirement for restrictor plates  :evil
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2014, 10:35:43 pm »

No he wasn't :-)
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2014, 08:17:30 am »
By 'keep up' he means we had to keep backtracking to pick up his debris!
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2014, 08:19:30 am »
As for the restrictors- my ex was on a 2 year restricted license but never had the kits fitted on any bike!
Some say...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2014, 10:26:03 am »

You did that once. And I wasn't far behind you most of the way up to then!

As for the restrictors- my ex was on a 2 year restricted license but never had the kits fitted on any bike!

Yes, you can do that, but if the police catch you doing so, you get done for riding without a license, riding without insurance, and your bike goes in the crusher. I personally prefer to play it safe.
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2014, 04:34:09 pm »

You did that once. And I wasn't far behind you most of the way up to then!

Yes, you can do that, but if the police catch you doing so, you get done for riding without a license, riding without insurance, and your bike goes in the crusher. I personally prefer to play it safe.
Sorry bud, I thought we were resurrecting a ChristoT bashing thread ;)

Completely agree with the issues it may cause if you get caught, but she was nuts, and as I said 'ex'!
Some say...

para300

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2014, 10:31:40 am »
Hi ya mate,
 I may be able to help you. I have for sale a r
estrictor kit for an FZS600 1998-2003 model.I purchased this kit from kickstart engineering who are currently selling them for £60.00 on ebay (check them out). Ok they are selling them with the certificate but to be quite honest they're not worth the paper they're printed on. And for the record my insurance did not require a certificate of fitment
You just have to google certificate requirement for fitting restrictor kits and they all say the same.There is no legal requirement to have a certificate of fitting of the kit.If you have a 33bhp restricted licence it is law that you should only ride a bike up to 33bhp.This kit was manufactured to restrict a Standard FZS600 Fazer 1998-2003 model to 33bhp. They fit between / slotted into the air intake rubbers and the carburetors.I got mine installed by a local motorcycle garage and it cost me £20.00.  I had mine fitted for the full two years of my restricted period and still enjoyed the bike. Still great acceleration but my bike would struggle to continue to accelerate after 100mph ( Track tested )but that's the idea of a restrictor.  If it did come to it that you had an accident and the rossers or insurance need proof of the kit to prosecute of avoid a claim they would have to disprove you had a kit fitted.  I have the kit for sale on ebay at present for £25.00 + postage.  As your a fellow foccer I'll post them for free if your interested.
I hope this helps
Para300
« Last Edit: 21 April 2014, 10:41:50 am by para300 »

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2014, 04:25:40 pm »
Those are the washer types. Not the best kit, but makes you legal!  :)
The Deef's apprentice