Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:00 pm

Author Topic: screens  (Read 8417 times)

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
screens
« on: 16 June 2013, 09:12:38 pm »
which is best? the review on the below states it makes no difference to air flow. I don't want to spend hundreds on a screen but I also want something that makes a difference.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YAMAHA-FZS1000-Double-bubble-screen/dp/B00A8KDVBM/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1371412987&sr=1-9&keywords=double+bubble+yamaha

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: screens
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2013, 09:20:56 pm »
D/B screens are generally an improvement over oe screens. I've learned over the years that the touring style huge screens generally create turbulence and a lot of noise, so I'd tend to avoid them.

Can you have a ride on a bike that has one fitted to see if you like it or not? That'd be the only way to make sure.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2013, 09:24:08 pm »
I had double bubbles on other bikes, on my GSXR it made massive improvements, on my old bandit it was minimal difference.

might just take a punt on it

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2013, 10:40:01 am »
I don't think you will notice much difference on a thou, tried 3 now, i've settled on a vario as its the quitest but i still get quite a battering at 80 mph
although my foxeye 600 looks similar the screen seems to be mounted higher and the home made vario works well on it

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2013, 11:02:44 am »
I don't think you will notice much difference on a thou, tried 3 now, i've settled on a vario as its the quitest but i still get quite a battering at 80 mph
although my foxeye 600 looks similar the screen seems to be mounted higher and the home made vario works well on it

ill have a look at the vario, I dont think being 6 foot 4 ever helps  :\

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2013, 12:45:09 pm »
ill have a look at the vario, I dont think being 6 foot 4 ever helps  :\
Being that tall you'd need an aircraft canopy to keep the wind off! :D :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2013, 02:41:13 pm »
Six foot four ? Perhaps Professor X will call & recruit you

Givi D129 screen might be more up your street, even it it does vibrate a bit up top

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1windscreen.htm

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2013, 03:07:37 pm »
Is it for a thou then? if so I don't think you will get any worthwhile inprovement , go bigger more noise!

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2013, 03:19:46 pm »
Six foot four ? Perhaps Professor X will call & recruit you

Givi D129 screen might be more up your street, even it it does vibrate a bit up top

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1windscreen.htm

Unfortunately my power is minimal. I have a trip to France in a coupld of weeks may just see how I get on.

Is it for a thou then? if so I don't think you will get any worthwhile inprovement , go bigger more noise!

Its not about noise (i wear earplugs) but my head bobbing around
« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 03:21:27 pm by Lank »

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2013, 05:05:47 pm »
I'm 6'4" and did spend hundreds  :\ . Ended up using the OE screen for daily riding as I never found one significantly better. As others said - I could get better protection, but at the cost of (a lot) more noise.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
I agree with seangee I spent hundreds on several screens including a Vario and ended up back with a powerbronze d/b     good luck!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2013, 12:12:51 pm »
Personaly when I have been abroad I am a bit wary of the local speed cops/cameras  ,The cameras  are in grey boxes usually in the middle of dual carriagways
so I am happy to keep my speed down  so wind batter has not been a problem,

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
We got flashed so many times i had to wear sun glasses :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2013, 10:43:15 am »
We got flashed so many times i had to wear sun glasses :lol

I'm 6"3 and the OE gave me huge pressure on the shoulders and head when accelerating or riding at speed.  A DB moved turbulence off shoulders, to head,  so got head bobble at high speed.   Putting butt to rear of seat a bit and slight lean forward cured it.   Much better than the OE screen, which was just plain torture at over 80.   Aching arms and shoulders.    DBs are pretty cheap.   Considered a vario, but read so way too many negative reports about them.
Head Focced

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2013, 10:27:18 pm »
Has anyone tried to Airblade DB screen for their gen 2? They are going quite cheap on eBay and wondered if worth a punt

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2013, 11:40:58 pm »
I am 6'3 and have a powerbronze DB screen. I personally find it a little better than the OE but I also have a set of Renthal bars and so I sit a little more upright due to the bars.. (well it feels that way anyway)
Possibly worth a punt and can always sell it if not for you. In truth I think the protection is fairly good for a half faired bike.

The best thing I have ever done is follow my mate on his R1200GS on motorways and sit in his wake lol.. Like some sort of dead zone behind him.  :lol
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2013, 07:47:37 am »
I'm 6'4" and did spend hundreds  :\ . Ended up using the OE screen for daily riding as I never found one significantly better. As others said - I could get better protection, but at the cost of (a lot) more noise.

I've had Seans vario off him and if you are 6ft it works a treat, right up to the point of keeping rain off you when traveling and a rate of knots when you have the deflector set at max height.

Your extra 4" must be in the buffer area of air where it's always going to blast the helmet.

(Thanks Sean, the screen is perfect for me).

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2013, 07:54:54 am »
Im 6ft ..15st  and thought the Vario was a huge disappointment, Tried it all ways up for a month  then sold it.  :\   

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2013, 08:00:31 am »
Im 6ft ..15st  and thought the Vario was a huge disappointment, Tried it all ways up for a month  then sold it.  :\

Standard bars or Renthals ?

My bars are Renthal copies and are a touch further back than std. so maybe that's why it works for me.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2013, 07:20:38 am »
Screens are like the bikes themselves, you need about four different ones in the garage depending on what you are doing that day.

My FZ1s came with a huge screen, i guess a touring screen, i chopped off about 6 inches and later tinkered with it to make a Vario type hinged top.
Now on the Italy trip it pissed down most of the way there so i was able to adjust it on the move and also check how the other three were coping with the sometimes torrential downpours.
I remanied dry except for the feet, even though i had carrier bags on my feet, it may of bee sweat,haha sweaty feet sydrome.

The screen in the upright position kept the whole of my body dry,deflected the rain up over the top,the others especially the gixxer 750 ,small screen was very wet top half.

When the conditions dried up the taller screen meant that with the increase in our speed the wind now being lifted to the helmet area was buffeted and noisey so i lowered the screen and the noise just dissapeared

But i shall soon be getting a smaller double bubble for English riding and keep a vario for touring,,it is a must, in strong head winds i lifted the screen and rode slightly in a ducked down position to get below the wind , that works to but dont get back ache as thats not good.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2013, 01:04:48 pm »
I got a set of vario adjustable from the mri importer , seem to remember they were around £25. I then cut the top of a standard screen to make the top vane .
Strange how it is very effective on my 600 , but a proper vario not so on my thou.
cheeper option than paying £100 + and being disappointed

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2013, 06:26:32 pm »
If you hav,nt sorted a screen i have a vario for sale, used once on a trip round scotland, was excellant, let me know if you are interested, Martin. :D

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2013, 07:23:20 pm »
I've had Skidmarx double bubbles on all my fazers, and been well pleased.  :)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2013, 08:06:49 pm »
6 foot 1, and I wouldn't be without my Givi touring. As others have said, they are noisy, but with the standard screen, 80 was the speed at which motorways stopped being tolerable. Now I can stay sat up all the way to 130. They also introduce a bit of a weave at really high speed (150 plus), but as I said, I wouldn't be without it.

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2013, 12:21:19 am »
In my opinion, the only screen that made a noticeable improvement is the Givi. I don't think it's the best looking but it's best single improvement made to the Fazer 1000 Gen2