Date: 28-04-24  Time: 08:09 am

Author Topic: MT-09 Just arrived in my local Stealer  (Read 19109 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Re: MT-09 Just arrived in my local Stealer
« Reply #50 on: 17 October 2013, 06:24:26 pm »
I sat on one today , I like the looks especially the stubby exhaust , it was comfortable but i'm only 5 foot 8, if your taller I reckon it would feel cramped , I don't think the small tank is an issue as I wouldn't want to go touring on it , to me its more a hooning around on a weekend kind of bike , I was gonna enquire about a test ride , but when I got off it the seat was covered in dust from my work trousers so I made a quick exit .

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17 October 2013, 06:33:07 pm »
Agree with the comment about the pictures - its not exactly a great looking bike, but it seems to look better in reality than it did in all the art and marketing shots

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2013, 06:57:01 pm »

YES, for sure, but you can't help but think this peach of an engine will get used in and even better frame with longer travel suspension before too long, and that would be the bike for me !

Nice pic and interesting MPG figures.
I'm waiting to see what else they use it in too. A decent 1/2 fairing on the bike as it is would suit me. I wish they would announce now whats in the pipeline instead of this wait and see game.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2013, 07:05:57 pm »
If there are indeed other versions of this in the pipeline, I think they'd be daft to announce them so soon after this bike hits the streets, as a lot of people might then change their minds about buying the current version and wait to see what else comes along. Also, hanging back will give them time to check what kind of feedback this one gets, and perhaps help them to make any changes they then feel are necessary to improve sales on future models.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 October 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
Maybe, but I dont want a naked.
There is the Suzuki V-Strom in the shops soon, thats got my interest, but its a fair bit more dosh.

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 17 October 2013, 08:34:44 pm »
A few more points I forgot to mention.

With it being a naked bike there was a lot of wind hitting my knees, far more than my fazer or F800 come to think of it.

It has an idiots kill switch (sprung loaded)

The mirrors are crystal clear and vibe free, such is the smoothness of the engine.

The digi-display does not reflect hi-viz back at you so you can actually see the neutral and indicator warning lights (Gen 1 trait and hi-viz wearing bod that I am ).

It has the lowest dipstick in the world, and the worst seat lock position ever ( it's under a cap beneath the rear mudguard).

I had no shoulder/arm/wrist ache after a constant 2 hours of riding ( I said it fitted me well in the showroom seat test).

Yamaha have followed BMW and Triumph and made everything an extra, where I would expect it to be standard fitment (flyscreen, radiator side covers for example).

There is space under the seat on the non-ABS bikes just behind the tank where the unit would have gone that could be useful storage.

The standard Dunlop tyres would never be my 1st choice of rubber but they didn't step out of line at all on the muddy lanes I was on.

No vibrations through the pegs or bars at any rpm wearing the same gloves as I always wear (this has got to be a miracle  8) )

I could have ridden it all day given a larger bladder (CMC's cafe has big cups and should not be taken lightly)

It sounds like I've talked myself into getting one, as I liked so much of the ride today, (the Mrs is OK with it too as long as my Fazer gets sold first) if you order one now you might get it for January  :eek seems everyone wants one too !

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 October 2013, 09:26:37 pm »
Out of all the bikes I've ridden, it's the only one I've ever thought of buying new, it really is  that good::)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 October 2013, 09:59:36 pm »
PC, Akrapovich and a suspension upgrade would perhaps turn it into a truly awesome machine by the sound of things. Although the look still doesn't really do it for me, the red/black one in the Cycleworld article isn't so bad imo.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18 October 2013, 09:18:17 am »
Gravesend yammy dealer has had 2 demo bikes - both crashed I've just found out :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18 October 2013, 10:39:18 am »
Gravesend yammy dealer has had 2 demo bikes - both crashed I've just found out :eek
Speaking of which---- thems that have had a test ride, or on other bikes, what deposit or insurance excess did you have to pay the dealer befor the ride, and if you bin it is that lost.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 18 October 2013, 12:19:49 pm »
No deposit to ride it, but the excess was £500 if you damage the bike.  I questioned that to see if an indicator was going to cost me that. It wasn't the excess was really if you bin the bike.

I got the trade in value of my 2005 gen 1 by email this morning. £1600. Yikes. Anyone need a cheap Fazer?
« Last Edit: 18 October 2013, 12:23:07 pm by marcusfordus »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 19 October 2013, 11:25:58 am »
No deposit to ride it, but the excess was £500 if you damage the bike. 
Yeh that is exactly what I was told and it put me off. If I was dead serious about buying then maybe but at the same time with £500 at the back of my mind I aint gonna give it a proper test. But I aint buying without a test but im not serious BUT I might me if I had a go but I aint having a go for the risk of £500.
Anyway what's that all about - if I was to have a test drive in a car then no such excess involved. I wouldn't even mind paying a non refundable £25 damage wavier fee to cover for the £500
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 19 October 2013, 01:27:18 pm »
MT-09    ===     FZ-09  ? :eek

Is there two bikes or are the press getting mixed up with the Fazer line of bikes?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 19 October 2013, 01:34:02 pm »
MT-09 designated FZ-09 in the States. I had similar confusion when reading about the "new Kwak Ninja 1000" on an American site. Ninja always meant to me a sports bike (ZX-6/9) but the Z1000 (new ones anyway) is apparently called a Ninja over there. It's a bike that seems to be blurring the lines of sports/sports tourer anyway.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 19 October 2013, 01:36:46 pm »
MT-09 designated FZ-09 in the States. I had similar confusion when reading about the "new Kwak Ninja 1000" on an American site. Ninja always meant to me a sports bike (ZX-6/9) but the Z1000 (new ones anyway) is apparently called a Ninja over there. It's a bike that seems to be blurring the lines of sports/sports tourer anyway.

Why don't you reply to your texts? :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 19 October 2013, 01:43:17 pm »
Cos my mobile usually lives in a drawer switched off, unless I'm expecting a call!  :lol

Spent several years without a phone, a telly, internet.......you trying to drag me into the modern world too?  :rolleyes

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 19 October 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
Kicking and screaming if we have to ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19 October 2013, 03:51:20 pm »
An exercise in futility......

Can't afford the modern world.

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20 October 2013, 07:49:15 pm »
I've been back today and ordered the ABS version for collection in January (if Yamaha have them here by then !)

Anyone looking for a FZS 1000 ? Give me a shout.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 20 October 2013, 09:29:24 pm »
I've been back today and ordered the ABS version for collection in January (if Yamaha have them here by then !)
Your hoping to ride it home in the snow... :smokin
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 20 October 2013, 09:35:43 pm »
I got the trade in value of my 2005 gen 1 by email this morning. £1600. Yikes. Anyone need a cheap Fazer?
I remember only getting very close to around £1500 trade in offered for my 2002 gen1 against my brandnew FZ1 back in 2008.. :grumble

My local Honda dealer offered only around £1000 trade in against a brandnew  CB1000r  :thumbdown
« Last Edit: 20 October 2013, 09:39:48 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 October 2013, 09:42:20 am »
Your hoping to ride it home in the snow... :smokin

Bet you can't wait!

Is ABS worth the extra on a bike? 

I was lookin at the one at my dealers that had a prang. Somehow someone has bottomed the sump out and pulled the oil drain plug out.
It had a big notice taped on it, DO NOT START NO OIL !!

But the thing that struck me is how small it looked. Previously I'd only seen it in the showroom but this was the first time outdoors with the bike on it's own.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 October 2013, 10:46:51 am »
its not for me, but i understand its appeal. and it should set a benchmark for far more sensible pricing. i love the triumph street triple/speed triple, but you dont half pay for the name on the bigger engines. bikes are getting way to sanitized and loaded with rider aids for me, i think the fz1 will probably be the last of its kind, they wont build a cross plane crank version without it having a computer to" nancy" every move you make on it.. :(

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 October 2013, 08:04:29 pm »

I was lookin at the one at my dealers that had a prang. Somehow someone has bottomed the sump out and pulled the oil drain plug out.

A known problem on Yamahas  :lol

taurus66

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Kawasaki ZR7S
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 21 October 2013, 09:24:32 pm »
I saw one parked up and I thought to myself... It don't look so good, then my other half ended the thought with a comment... That bike looks shite... lol.. Can't say I see what all the hype is about. My point is that all these new bikes look very similar in design.. If you going to do something.. Do it radically different that no one else has done.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2013, 09:33:37 pm by taurus66 »