Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 69167 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: POLL Will you take the Vax
« Reply #150 on: 07 January 2021, 12:58:34 pm »
Something else - it looks like the jabs do not stop you getting or stop you transmitting it. I see the questions have been asked a few times direct to Hancock and the way he skips over them looks suspicious to me, like he knows they don't work on that basis but just says there is not enough data and quickly moves on. Telling the public that would destroy any confidence in the vax.

This is not a concern for me, most vaccines stop transmission by killing the virus within our bodies, before it takes hold and we become infectious, there's no reason to think this won't either, it's just too soon to tell. Handcock isn't (for once) telling lies or destroying confidence they simply don't know at present no one does, there isn't any data to pass on as yet.  Even if they don't a vaccinated individual will get greatly reduced symptoms, in the case of Covid it should prevent death and hospitalisation, a bad cold or non fatal flu at worst, I've no doubt there will still be deaths but small, vaccines aren't cures.  The NHS can cope with these worse cases and normal life as it was can return for the vast majority of us. 

As with all viruses they mutate (as Covid has) but this can be mitigated against as they do with flu, by adjusting the vaccine to suit strains/variants. By high uptake of the vaccine we achieve what's referred to as 'herd immunity' which prevents mass infections.

The issue here is can the government, deliver what they've said i.e. 13 million vaccinations of the most vulnerable and frontline workers by mid Feb and the over 50's and under 50's vulnerable by Easter ish that's approx 17 million, 30 million in total, with the rest 23 million ish not including under 16s over to follow months achieving herd immunity late summer/autumn ish.       

« Last Edit: 07 January 2021, 01:12:04 pm by Gnasher »
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 07 January 2021, 01:25:36 pm »
Something else - it looks like the jabs do not stop you getting or stop you transmitting it. I see the questions have been asked a few times direct to Hancock and the way he skips over them looks suspicious to me, like he knows they don't work on that basis but just says there is not enough data and quickly moves on. Telling the public that would destroy any confidence in the vax.

This is not a concern for me, most vaccines stop transmission by killing the virus within our bodies, before it takes hold and we become infectious, there's no reason to think this won't either, it's just too soon to tell. Handcock isn't (for once) telling lies or destroying confidence they simply don't know at present no one does, there isn't any data to pass on as yet.  Even if they don't a vaccinated individual will get greatly reduced symptoms, in the case of Covid it should prevent death and hospitalisation, a bad cold or non fatal flu at worst, I've no doubt there will still be deaths but small, vaccines aren't cures.  The NHS can cope with these worse cases and normal life as it was can return for the vast majority of us. 

As with all viruses they mutate (as Covid has) but this can be mitigated against as they do with flu, by adjusting the vaccine to suit strains/variants. By high uptake of the vaccine we achieve what's referred to as 'herd immunity' which prevents mass infections.

The issue here is can the government, deliver what they've said i.e. 13 million vaccinations of the most vulnerable and frontline workers by mid Feb and the over 50's and under 50's vulnerable by Easter ish that's approx 17 million, 30 million in total, with the rest 23 million ish not including under 16s over to follow months achieving herd immunity late summer/autumn ish.       

I had a go at the vaccine calculator which gives you a rough guide as to when you can expect the invite for a jab.
I'm 50 now, and when I checked last week the date was early June, but checked again yesterday and it was mid July to October.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 07 January 2021, 01:32:23 pm »

As it is a respiratory disease, you breathe it in an out. If you have the vaccine, you can still have the virus in your airway due to recently breathing it in and therefore still breathe it out before it tries to infect you. You wont get infected because of the vaccine but you can still spread it about. Common sense really.
You got that wrong im afraid --- having the vax but still spreading it by breathing it in and then out to others but the vax stopping you getting it yourself  :rollin
 You get the vax and as far as we know you can still get the virus but as your immune system already knows what to do ( thanks to the vax ) it then can kick in before the viral load gets big enough tooverwhelm your system and so hopefully saving lives. As you still have the virus with the vax - the common sense bit is that you can still pass it on. Hancock avoids or flips over these questions - bats it off as "not enough data" - I say there is and they know.Which is why they are saying that you still have to wear a mask and continue all the current procedures after you have the jab.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2021, 02:03:02 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 07 January 2021, 01:35:08 pm »

I had a go at the vaccine calculator which gives you a rough guide as to when you can expect the invite for a jab.
I'm 50 now, and when I checked last week the date was early June, but checked again yesterday and it was mid July to October.
If I get my binoculars out and look back I can see you in the queue as you are 1 million behind me.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 07 January 2021, 02:19:51 pm »
You got that wrong im afraid --- having the vax but still spreading it by breathing it in and then out to others but the vax stopping you getting it yourself    You get the vax and as far as we know you can still get the virus but as your immune system already knows what to do ( thanks to the vax ) it then can kick in before the viral load gets big enough tooverwhelm your system and so hopefully saving lives. As you still have the virus with the vax - the common sense bit is that you can still pass it on. Hancock avoids or flips over these questions - bats it off as "not enough data" - I say there is and they know.Which is why they are saying that you still have to wear a mask and continue all the current procedures after you have the jab

Well sort of. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is a harmless virus which has been genetically modified to carry the protein from Covid-19 (not the virus itself) which enables the virus to attack healthy cells. Your antibodies are then primed to destroy the protein second time around. As said, the body recognises the protein if and when your body receives the virus, and stops the protein attaching the virus to your healthy cells, and you becoming infected. That's the science.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #155 on: 07 January 2021, 06:52:50 pm »
You got that wrong im afraid --- having the vax but still spreading it by breathing it in and then out to others but the vax stopping you getting it yourself  :rollin

You know what I mean though :pokefun

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 07 January 2021, 11:00:26 pm »

You know what I mean though :pokefun

:lol

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 08 January 2021, 11:14:50 am »
How come our MP's and MSP's have been given priority status for Covid 19 Vaccinations.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 08 January 2021, 11:58:39 am »
How come our MP's and MSP's have been given priority status for Covid 19 Vaccinations.

Personally I would like to see them all have it live on TV.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 08 January 2021, 12:11:17 pm »

Why?
Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #160 on: 08 January 2021, 01:35:39 pm »
Why?

If they told us to jump of a bridge would we do it without them demonstrating it was safe first? :pokefun

Seriously though, it would be good PR for the vaccine
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 08 January 2021, 01:44:51 pm »

I dont think that would help anything personally. The people tbat already want the vaccine will get it and the people that don't for normal reasons won't. The other silver foil hatted conspiracy nut jobs will still come up with outlandish claims and make up any old tripe they can to justify it. They would just say its a placebo injection, that body doubles were being used or it was all film trickery 🤷‍♂️
Not to mention the majority of people that I have spoke too who do not wish to get the jab are people that don't believe or trust in the government anyway.
If they were going to try and go to down that route then getting some idiot like Bieber or maybe a Footballer to have it live on TV would convince millions more than Boris ever could

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 08 January 2021, 02:43:33 pm »
If they told us to jump of a bridge would we do it without them demonstrating it was safe first? :pokefun

I'm not a sheep, I can make up my own mind.  I don't need to follow them, when you look at them, I wouldn't follow them anywhere, if you would or need to that's your choice  :pokefun

Seriously though, it would be good PR for the vaccine

It's just another vaccine, like the many others we've all had over the years.  When smallpox, polo, BCG etc where rolled out did you, your parents or the masses question it and ask for others to go first?  All this fear is just social media bolloc%% fake/disinformation put out by total idiots with too much time on their hands.  These morons, both anti vax and conspiracy theory twats have got way too much influence, over social media sheep.  Examples of which we've seen outside hospitals and storming the US Congress in recent days, let's not even go there with Brexit crap.

I for one don't need PR or any of the current government leading me in any direction.  I don't use or follow social media, it's rapidly becoming utterly counter productive.   Various media watchdogs put figures of anywhere between 20 - 60% depending on subject, of fake or disinformation being circulated on social media platforms, the sooner it's regulated or better still turned off the better  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 02:46:22 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 08 January 2021, 02:51:00 pm »
If they were going to try and go to down that route then getting some idiot like Bieber or maybe a Footballer to have it live on TV would convince millions more than Boris ever could

:agree  Sadly that's what social media and celeb TV world has created, many would rather listen and follow a singer or soap actor than a scientist  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 08 January 2021, 04:17:29 pm »
People seem to forget that the flu jab is modified EVERY year to try and cope with the most recent strains, so it is hardly tested for long periods of time at all.
Which is why some years you might get the odd very minor side effect, but for most years you don't.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 08 January 2021, 04:36:27 pm »
People seem to forget that the flu jab is modified EVERY year to try and cope with the most recent strains, so it is hardly tested for long periods of time at all.
Which is why some years you might get the odd very minor side effect, but for most years you don't.

:agree ;)
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #166 on: 09 January 2021, 01:58:59 pm »

:thumbup

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 09 January 2021, 08:06:57 pm »

Had my vaccine part one this morning,the place was packed but not like a sardine can ,it was all well organised with volunteers doing the 10,15 mins wait after in a marquee ,considering the amount of people there it was pretty slick IMO.No after effects as yet. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 09 January 2021, 10:32:59 pm »
Had a phone call Wed teatime asking if I would like the vaccine Thurs afternoon at a local health centre. They also asked my wife if she would like the vaccine at the same time. We both said yes asI am classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and my wife has had  serious health issues. We both turned up and all went smoothly. We just had to wait for 15 mins afterwards to make sure we had no adverse reaction to the vaccine. Apart from a slight bruise at injection site we are both fine (so far).
My view is that we owe our lives to the skills of men and women working in the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry-I wouldn't be alive to write this without them. Yes it's a pain not being able to do things we used to take for granted but if we all do our bit we can come out the other side. We would rather suffer the inconveniences of the present lockdown than be an unnecessary burden on the health service when they are faced with an unprecedented emergency.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 10 January 2021, 01:47:43 pm »
Pleased for you both Dave and Coffee.Any side effects at all as yet

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 10 January 2021, 03:02:54 pm »
No side effects yet apart from the usual minor bruising at injection site. It looks as though the UK is doing comparatively well with the vaccination program when looking at how some other so-called advanced countries are performing.
However we don't have any false sense of security and will continue with our shielding precautions-the vaccine is one tool in the fight against the virus.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 11 January 2021, 10:18:43 am »

There won't be, and even if there was that doesn't in the slightest mean that those effects would apply to you as well.

Same as when you get medicine prescribed by a doctor that comes with a leaflet pointing out the vast "possible" side effects, which basically means that some poor sod around the world had an adverse reaction and to avoid prosecution they have to list it as a precautionary measure.
I had to take some antibiotics two weeks ago that i don't think i've ever had before, and the long list of side effects made absolutely terrible reading to the point where i questioned even wanting to consume them, but as per usual they were totally fine.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 11 January 2021, 02:27:52 pm »
I didn't mean "side effects" as such like the question implies, but just anything really.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 11 January 2021, 03:36:24 pm »

There won't be, and even if there was that doesn't in the slightest mean that those effects would apply to you as well.

Same as when you get medicine prescribed by a doctor that comes with a leaflet pointing out the vast "possible" side effects, which basically means that some poor sod around the world had an adverse reaction and to avoid prosecution they have to list it as a precautionary measure.
I had to take some antibiotics two weeks ago that i don't think i've ever had before, and the long list of side effects made absolutely terrible reading to the point where i questioned even wanting to consume them, but as per usual they were totally fine.

Its luck of the draw really, same as with any vaccine. My wife for example gets the flu jab every year (as she's asthmatic and works in the hospital) and has done for the past 10 years or so. Now out of those 10 jabs 9 have been completely fine but 1 of them caused adverse effects and put her in hospital for 4 days on a respirator. Didnt stop her getting it again but as with most of these things there is always a risk.
I know a few people that have had the vaccine and felt quite ill for 24-48hrs after but also plenty that haven't had any reaction at all.
Its just one of those things 🤷‍♂️

What i want to know is whether this is going to be a yearly jab like the other flu one. Are we going to be going forward with the elderly etc getting 2 jabs every winter instead of one? I reckon there's a good chance that's going to be the case but hopefully we can go know as normal every year instead of locking down and hiding all winter

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 11 January 2021, 04:24:50 pm »

What i want to know is whether this is going to be a yearly jab like the other flu one. Are we going to be going forward with the elderly etc getting 2 jabs every winter instead of one? I reckon there's a good chance that's going to be the case but hopefully we can go know as normal every year instead of locking down and hiding all winter
No one seems to be talking about this but my feeling is that yes that is what will happen. It will be here for ever.