Date: 17-05-24  Time: 14:57 pm

Author Topic: Replacing Centre Stand  (Read 4036 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Replacing Centre Stand
« on: 06 May 2012, 07:14:24 pm »
Just a quick note for anyone thinking of replacing their centre stand for whatever reason (mine was cracked).
I'd been putting it off for a while as i was trying to think of a novel way of extending the stand springs, because believe me, when you have the inner and outer springs in your hand you really will wonder how to get it hooked on as they are pretty damn solid.
I searched the internet and thought of all kinds of tricks i could use, but today found out it was all a fuss about nothing.
Once the old one is unbolted, with the bike on the side stand, you simply hook the springs on to the bike and the stand, then put one bolt in first (with a little grease where the stand will swivel) and put a nut on it to stop it falling out, then you can really easily lever the other side into place, then stick the other bolt in.
I put a little bit of Loctite on the the nuts before tightening them up.
And that was it !!!
No wonder i couldn't find any tips or tricks because it was that easy, but i thought i'd put it on here just in case some other poor sod has the same dilemma.
One thing i will mention is that i have a new exhaust, and the replacement stand was slightly hitting it so i had the edge of the stand taken down a bit to stop it rubbing.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 10:32:59 pm »
Thanks for the info.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2012, 01:04:40 am »
I know i sound like a big girl, but it really bothered me before i tried it, those springs are savage !!!
I'm a pedantic git, and like to do things with the utmost of ease when tested!
This one had a very happy ending......almost too easy thankfully........ :lol

andy352299

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2012, 07:49:37 am »
Thanks for the info.
mt stand was cracked and twisted a little when in use i got a cheap ebay replacement
i found exactly the same my stand slightly rubbed my new stainless headers but a little filing and it clears fine.

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
Hope this helps. I use a 12mm od piece of stainless tube approx 400mm lg with one end notched out about 10mm. I bolt the centre stand in position, hook the spring on the centrestand plus hooking the other end of the spring over the tube. Place nothed end of tube on to locating pin on frame and lever up stretching the spring and tap it over locating pin. :D

I must admit it's taken me years of scrapped knuckles to eventually come up with this. :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 11:49:40 pm »
I've got the 2000, 600 S model and the spring is actually in the middle, it's a different set up to the one in the photo.

I didn't need any extra gadgets at all luckily.

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2012, 01:26:10 pm »

That'll teach me for trying to be helpful :oops  I've just had peek at my 600 centrestand, and as you rightly point out, the spring is centrally mounted :o . Things you learn on this forum.  Never mind, at least my bit of tube works on me Gen 1.  :lol