Date: 21-05-24  Time: 19:20 pm

Author Topic: 2002 Fox eye oil change.  (Read 2966 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
2002 Fox eye oil change.
« on: 05 May 2015, 01:43:08 am »
How much oil do I add when changing the filter as well. Also is the engine best drained on the side or centre stand.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2015, 06:10:14 am by Decoke Dave »
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Fox eye oil change.
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2015, 07:02:12 am »
Drain on side stand with oil cap removed too, when more or less stopped replace sump bolt without doing up mega tight, it won't leak.

Now put bike on centre stand, on level flat ground.

Get ready to catch oil as well when removing old oil filter, i find a chain wrench works the best..

Smear some oil on rubber seal on new oil filter, screw in, and nip it up NOT TOO TIGHT, the oil and rubber combination will create a seal, do it up too tight and you'll regret it when you go to remove it next time.

You can start with exactly 2.5 litres of oil with no worries.

Put oil cap back on.

Start engine and run for 20-30 seconds.

Switch off then keep an eye on the oil window, a good torch can be useful to see the level, it eventually needs to be about two thirds up between the upper/lower level markings next to the window.

First go may not be enough oil, so ADDING VERY LITTLE OIL AT A TIME, repeat above steps, cap back on, start engine, let it run, switch off, and watch the window carefully until it settles again, which will take about 15-20 seconds each time at a guess.

With a new filter you'll roughly be looking at about 2.7 litres in total, so don't start pouring huge amounts in and overfill it, as that can cause other issues, just take your time and you'll do it correctly first time. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 05 May 2015, 07:03:36 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2015, 10:19:26 am »
I usually check the oil level before changing. If it is ok (no oil missing), measure it when drained, then pour the same amount in. Always works for me.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2015, 12:32:35 pm »
I usually check the oil level before changing. If it is ok (no oil missing), measure it when drained, then pour the same amount in. Always works for me.

That is a very lazy way of doing things, but would technically work I s'pose, although old oil won't have as much viscosity to it so it could possibly measure slightly differently, in theory?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2015, 01:05:52 pm »
Some people seem to make it very complicated measuring and remeasuring am I the only person that has no problem using the sight glass?

Drain oil and change filter. Make sure sump plug in then put in about 2.5l using not very accurate markings on 4l container new oil comes in. Check oil glass and top up checking oil level window every couple of clucks of oil until oil level is at top or just over top of window (the oil filter is empty so will use up any slight overfill).  Start bike and let it run for minute or so. Stop engine and let oil level settle for minute or so, the oil will be cold so don't rush it, check oil level and top up to full mark. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2015, 01:27:43 pm »
Some people seem to make it very complicated measuring and remeasuring am I the only person that has no problem using the sight glass?

Drain oil and change filter. Make sure sump plug in then put in about 2.5l using not very accurate markings on 4l container new oil comes in. Check oil glass and top up checking oil level window every couple of clucks of oil until oil level is at top or just over top of window (the oil filter is empty so will use up any slight overfill).  Start bike and let it run for minute or so. Stop engine and let oil level settle for minute or so, the oil will be cold so don't rush it, check oil level and top up to full mark.

Why didn't you just copy & paste my above post?  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2015, 02:03:03 pm »
Has /does anyone ever replace the crush washer on the sump bolt
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2015, 02:33:26 pm »
Nope, never changed one, and never had a leak either.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2015, 02:43:11 pm »

Because you said exactly 2.5l. It doesn't have to be exact :lol

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2015, 02:51:00 pm »

Arnold Clark did on my car and that's the only time I've had a leak from sump plug. But that was nothing to do with washer but ham fisted mechanic crossthreading the sump plug.

I replace it on Fazer every 3 or 4 oil changes but only because I got about 12 crush washers and need to use them for something.  Never once replaced it on my Kawasaki that had covered 84,000 oil leak free miles before I traded it in

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2015, 03:56:27 pm »

Because you said exactly 2.5l. It doesn't have to be exact :lol

"...with no worries..."

Meaning, you can't over fill it STARTING with that amount.  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2015, 03:58:56 pm »
Nope, never changed one, and never had a leak either.

:agree +1 to that.

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2015, 04:30:09 pm »
If i disturb any bolt with a crush washer i simply turn the washer over and I've never had a problem :) .
Life is never complete. Once you've discovered rock music, beer, bikes & girls, you have the rest of your life to intimately explore each one.. Good luck with finishing that project.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2015, 07:49:15 pm »
Drain on side stand with oil cap removed too
You might find standing the side stand actually in the drip bowl is a good idea
For the extra 10p investment it costs, I tend to change it

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2015, 08:00:03 pm »
Here's my old sump nut from the other day.

My crush nut has become a part of the bolt.......i cant get it off.

I replaced both coz i had one off the old 600.

I tightened up the new one with a ratchet to what id say was "tight enough" as i always over tighten things and ill get a torque wrench on there next week to get it correct but the crush washer wasnt exactly errrrrrrr crushed as such.....still about 2.5 times the thickness of this old washer.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2015, 08:14:28 pm »
Walk away from the bike noggy   :eek.......dont do it, walk away now   :rolleyes..........no going indoors for a few beers and returning later with the 2 ft wrench and trying to squash the new washer to the same thickness as the old one ........... :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2015, 08:21:39 pm »
Walk away from the bike noggy   :eek .......dont do it, walk away now   :rolleyes ..........no going indoors for a few beers and returning later with the 2 ft wrench and trying to squash the new washer to the same thickness as the old one ........... :lol

Thankfully im on a diet and that includes no booze.....but you know me all too well red :lol

Another option would yave been man handling the wrench and pulling the bike off the centre stand.

So i just nipped it up & thought that'll do for now.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2015, 08:29:38 pm »
Well done matey...let the crush washer do its job   ;)    :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
Drain on side stand with oil cap removed too
You might find standing the side stand actually in the drip bowl is a good idea
For the extra 10p investment it costs, I tend to change it

It's just a hole with a bloody great bolt plugging it, mine's never dripped once in the 8 years I've had the bike!
That 10p could go towards beer!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2015, 08:50:09 pm »
This is interesting to see what things on a bike warrant quality and which dont.

Being the shit stirrer that i am then..... :lurk

So shouldnt every part of a bike warrant quality & replacement & industry standard?, hmmmmmmm. For example many people who advocate regular oil replacement which is relatively expensive but do not advocate regular sump plug and washer replacement which is relatively inexpensive......yet they will probably never know whether all that oil changing has done them any good & have probably sold the bike on or dont have the means to inspect the internals of the engine...ps Darrsi im not saying these "people" ar you by the way....just peoples :b ...i dont know how often you change your oil.

It's kind of like how my neighbour will spend £100 no problem on a pair of jeans but he has those shit pictures from Dunelm on his walls whereas i like to have a bit of quality stuff in my house & i skrimp on clothes & look like a hobo :lol .....horses for courses, each to their own.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 May 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
This is interesting to see what things on a bike warrant quality and which dont.

Being the shit stirrer that i am then..... :lurk

So shouldnt every part of a bike warrant quality & replacement & industry standard?, hmmmmmmm. For example many people who advocate regular oil replacement which is relatively expensive but do not advocate regular sump plug and washer replacement which is relatively inexpensive......yet they will probably never know whether all that oil changing has done them any good & have probably sold the bike on or dont have the means to inspect the internals of the engine...ps Darrsi im not saying these "people" ar you by the way....just peoples :b ...i dont know how often you change your oil.

It's kind of like how my neighbour will spend £100 no problem on a pair of jeans but he has those shit pictures from Dunelm on his walls whereas i like to have a bit of quality stuff in my house & i skrimp on clothes & look like a hobo :lol .....horses for courses, each to their own.

For the record my oil is changed between 4000-5000 miles, still using the same old washer.

If the oils is at the correct level, changed within the recommended mileage, which is 6000 miles, and the fine threaded long bolt is nipped up sensibly (not much room for a normal torque wrench), then with general road riding i challenge anyone to make their sump leak with an old, used several times again washer!!!

Or, i can save you the wait and tell you, it ain't gonna happen, as i've tried and tested it myself.  :D 

NOTE: Paulfzs is barred from this challenge, he could make it happen. :lol
« Last Edit: 05 May 2015, 09:17:07 pm by darrsi »