Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:38 pm

Author Topic: Melting of head unit fuse  (Read 1091 times)

Wallen

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Melting of head unit fuse
« on: 02 July 2013, 02:06:30 pm »
Helllo everyone,

I have a problem with the fazer...its melting the head unit fuse the middle one (20amp). The speedo is not working and the rev gauge is intemittant. I have been advised that it is shorting out somewhere and to check the earths? However I cannot find the earths...probably me being stupid!
Please could anyone advise / suggest where to look ect?

Many thanks!!

Will

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Melting of head unit fuse
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2013, 02:50:49 pm »
Electrics are not really my thing at all, but i'd have thought the wiring loom would be the first thing to check if both sides of the clock are going nuts?
This is what it looks like, but i don't know how easy it is to remove to be honest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fzs+600+clock+loom&_sacat=0&_from=R40
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2013, 01:25:05 am »

You can forget about the earths for the moment. If a short is blowing the fuse then the problem's in the live side: probably insulation worn through and intermittently touching some point on the chassis.
Another possibility is too much load. Do you have higher wattage bulbs in the headlights or has the right hand unit been modified so both filaments are on together, for example?
However my top candidate for the cause of your problem would be be the fuseholder itself. Are the contacts clean and gripping the fuse firmly? A slightly high contact resistance in a circuit supplying a dozen amps or so can easily result in a few watts being lost in the holder... it's not designed to dissipate heat so the temperature can get high enough to melt the plastic.
If the fuseholder's still useable then disconnect the battery. You can then take the female connectors out from the holder by pushing a very small screwdriver (or one of those big staples they use to hold cardboard boxes together straightened out as a cheap alternative) in to release the tang... it'll then pull out the back. Clean up the connector, give it a gentle squeeze with a pair of pliers to tighten up the contact, bend the tang out a bit so it clips back into the fuseholder socket securely.

Wallen

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2013, 12:06:05 pm »
Hello,

The lights are standard as far as i am aware, havent changed anything regarding the lights since ive had it. I will check the fuse holder itself tonight and give it a clean ect.
The fuse is not breaking it is just the plastic which is melting, took the earth lead off last night and cleaned it up and still no good......i hate electrics!!
Are there any other earths which would be worth checking apart from the main one coming off the negative side of the battery?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2013, 02:44:35 pm »
If the fuse isn't blowing then the cause of the heating is definitely a poor connection in that area.
Either the fuse blades have surface oxidation / the female connectors in the fuse holder are too slack to make good contact... or possibly, the wires to the connectors are frayed and down to a few strands in which case the joint to the connector would need to be remade. It should become clear which is the cause once you start taking it apart. The current needs a good cross-section of clean metal throughout it's path. A squirt of contact cleaner when you're done will help to prevent corrosion.