Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:11 am

Author Topic: Repairable?  (Read 2547 times)

w1nst0ne

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Repairable?
« on: 04 March 2012, 06:48:43 pm »
Hi,

My Chain snapped on my Fazer, Luckily at slow speed ~20mph, Not sure why.. Chain was lubed (Scotoiler) and adjusted regulary...

Anyways, the damage is a snapped Clutch pushrod/Actuator shaft... but my main concern is the hole which the shaft goes through..  The Shaft has made a nice oblong shape out of what was once a nice round hole. Hopefully the pictures below show what i mean.

[/IMG]

Please can one of you experts tell me if the hole is acutally part of the lowercasings, and I have really screwed the pooch, and a new engine/casing is required.. or.. is this a bush/insert that i can replace.

I am kinda thinking its the casings, but.. ya never know...

Thanks in advance

Chris

Fazbaz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZFR1 YZFR6 SV650S
    • View Profile
Re: Repairable?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2012, 10:54:30 pm »
I'm fairly certain that it's a casing that is FUBARed  :( . But there's not much sideways force on the pushrod ( outherwise it wouldn't be called a pushrod).

It might be repairable with some quick metal type stuff or possibly some very careful in-situ welding.

But at the end of the day you'll eventually want to get rid of the bike and you couldn't really sell it with a bodged repair.

Hope it all turns out OK though .... Baz  :)

fatboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - yam rd 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2012, 10:57:39 pm »
what happened to the oil seal

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 02:21:54 pm »
Its possible to repair it but it's a lot of work to do it properly and get a lasting repair, engine removal, splitting/stripping hole either plugged/welded and re-drilled this requires machining just not worth all the effort and expense.   

You could try bodging but it's very likely going to fail in short order, sadly  :(  you probably better off swapping the whole engine for another and selling yours for spares.

As for why it snapped could be a a few things out of alignment, too loose/tight, loose front sprocket, wrong size/type or poor quality (fakes) chain/sprockets or just a fluke and something got flung in there and snapped it   
« Last Edit: 07 March 2012, 02:27:15 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2012, 04:47:54 pm »
Writing off the whole engine for such a tiny bit of damage is a bit premature. As Baz says, the sideways forces on the rod are minimal.. why not fit a fresh seal and pushrod and see how the clutch feels? If it still operates OK then I'd be happy to carry on using it.

dogruff

• CBT Wobbler
  • Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2012, 05:19:16 pm »
Yep! Fazerider is correct.NEVER write off an engine until you've exhausted every possibility.
 Unsure whether a new seal and pushrod would work,but you have nothing to lose. except a few quid.
 Do as he says and keep everything crossed.

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 05:43:56 pm »
I have abottom end lying doing nowt so if you need the casing let me know
The Frying Scotsman

kangastu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2012, 05:47:38 pm »
 I had the same happen to me.  Luckily I only had to replace the pushrod, pushrod seal and the front sprocket cover.  Could be many reasons why the chain failed.  Always check your chain for kinks and sags when checking the tension.  I always lube using SAE90 gear oil. I've been using wilkinsons stuff for about 20K now and used it across 2 chains. Pretty good stuff!

w1nst0ne

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2012, 08:57:00 pm »
Thanks Guys, I guess i will have to strip it down anyways to get to the broken part of the pushrod.. I am assuming, removing the entire clutch assembly will allow me to get the broken bit out.

Not too sure on just replacing the oil seal/pushrod, although it may be an option so will look to try that first.

it does seem like a waste of an engine, just for a small hole.. the engine has around 55000 miles on it, but still pulls strong.. (or should i say did pull strong  :( )

Its was the wifes bike, and as she is a shortarse, is limited to what height bikes she can ride... and she loves it... (or did until i Broke it).. so it will be getting repaired, one way or another.

Cheers

Chris

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
You might be able to pull the pushrod out without pulling the clutch cover off. If you can find a powerful magnet (such as one from a defunct hard disk drive) and touch it to a steel rod or crosshead screwdriver to extend the field and poke that in the hole it may be enough to tug the remains of the pushrod out, especially if you have the bike on the sidestand.
It depends on how clean the break is... if the end is too bent it won't work, but with luck it'll save you a gasket and some time.

w1nst0ne

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2012, 09:59:54 pm »
Thanks Fazerider,  I wouldnt have thought about trying that.. Will give that a go and see if i can get it out without removing the clutch.

Cheers

Chris

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2012, 01:07:07 am »
To remove the push rod get a 6 inch nail and clean the head of it with acetone or nail varnish remover,put some of the nail varnish remove onto a cloth and then clean the end of the push rod,put a drop of super glue onto the head of the nail push onto the the end of the pushrod and draw it out,  bobs your dads brother and fanny is your mothers sister,jobs jobbed,yes it does work...

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2012, 07:45:45 am »
ive a spare pushrod for a thunder cat  which i believe is the same 
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583