Date: 20-05-24  Time: 06:53 am

Author Topic: brake cables  (Read 4756 times)

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
brake cables
« on: 01 May 2015, 04:36:07 pm »
Hey All ..
I'm the 3rd owner on my 03 Fazer .. in the 12 years it's only covered 5500 miles. In its time it's had regular oil changes and that but  it's not had its brake cables or anything changed.
I read in the Haynes manual they should  be changed every 4 years .. is this recommended time with regular use ? Is there an average mileage or any other recommendations?  It brakes fine and there's no sign of splitting on the cables or anything but iv been wondering recently as something 12 years old will eventually begin to perish right ..
Iv been thinking of getting some new levers and Hel cables ... would it be recommended to do sooner rather than later ?
« Last Edit: 01 May 2015, 04:37:20 pm by odbguy »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: brake cables
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2015, 04:58:06 pm »
When I bought my 03 plate 600 2 years ago I decided to do everything including braided brake hoses, complete set of new seals both caliper & master cylinder & new fluid. I may have been a bit OCD/OTT but the time you need all your stopping power is not the time to discover theres any weakness in the system :eek

Think there is a "foccers" discount available from HEL-check previous posts on this subject. I bought top quality pattern seals from a firm in Sheffield(forget their name-may have been Powerhouse)). The braking on a well maintained Fazer is as good as you will need-the "blue spots" are an exceptionally good brake although some dispute the effectiveness of the rear-usually caused by lack of service as its in an exposed position under the wheel.
Similarly the front suspension benefits from fresh fork oil. Your rear shock-if OEM- will be "tired" by now.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2015, 10:01:13 pm »
You say brake cables, I presume you actually meant brake pipes?

If you read the road ahead properly you really shouldn't be needing your brakes, mines are original from '98 and nearly 24000 miles on it, with no signs of wear etc but granted, there will be times you will need full power of brakes but remember it hasn't got abs or sod all like it so I'd rather be prepared to stop rather than having to use them full on! As I would think anyone will ride a bike and grab a fistful of brake but forget they actually need to release and press again, and continue doing this, the real term is cadence braking. Most people will wonder why the brakes haven't worked properly but it's probably down to not understanding the actual brake system they have.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 02:00:28 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2015, 08:45:02 am »
I had a major braking issue years ago, can't be arsed to explain, but turned out to be faulty braided lines.
That aside, braided lines will always have a better feel than OEM lines, once sorted correctly, and bled properly, to the point of being incredibly responsive.
Over time (years) original lines can have weak points, and eventually expand when braking, a bit like grabbing a handful of a balloon where the excess bulges where it can, so braking will lack response, or feel spongy.
This is one of those things that can very slowly creep up on you, and once fixed your braking will be exceptional in comparison, as long as your pistons are moving correctly too.
So even with your low mileage a swap to braided lines will be a huge improvement, along with new fluid as well, and you can expect a massive difference.

If you're not a heavy braker there is a fair chance your lines could be okay, BUT, 12 years is a long time for anything, so it won't hurt to replace them.

They can only improve things.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2015, 06:50:53 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2015, 09:38:20 pm »
I had a major braking issue years ago, can't be arsed to explain, but turned out to be faulty braided lines.
That aside, braided lines will always have a better feel than OEM lines, once sorted correctly, and bled properly, to the point of being incredibly responsive.
Over time (years) original lines can have weak points, and eventually expand when braking, a bit like grabbing a handful of a balloon where the excess bulges where it can, so braking will lack response, or feel spongy.
This is one of those things that can very slowly creep up on you, and once fixed your braking will be exceptional in comparison, as long as your pistons are moving correctly too.
So even with your low mileage a swap to braided lines will be a huge improvement, along with new fluid as well, and you can expect a massive difference.

If you're not a heavy braker there is a fair chance your cable could be okay, BUT, 12 years is a long time for anything, so it won't hurt to replace it, adjust it properly, and give you peace of mind.
Don't buy cheap, get an original Yamaha cable only, your one has lasted 12yrs so quality speaks for itself.  :thumbup

All true, and it's hard to see where the 'buldging' happens as your not looking at the pipes when your pulling the brakes on.
I tend to do all my major maintenance, like stripping all the brakes down, changing all the fluids etc, during the winter when I'm not using the bike so it's all ready for our great summers :rollin
Admitted, I've recently only bought this bike but as I know the last two owners and know the service of it I'm fairly confident that all is good on it. Yes, we can't take everything for granted and brake failure is a horrible thing, it's so foccin scary when it happens. It's a matter of cling on, and hope all goes as best it can.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2015, 07:00:58 am »

If you're not a heavy braker there is a fair chance your cable could be okay, BUT, 12 years is a long time for anything, so it won't hurt to replace it, adjust it properly, and give you peace of mind.
Don't buy cheap, get an original Yamaha cable only, your one has lasted 12yrs so quality speaks for itself.  :thumbup

All true, and it's hard to see where the 'buldging' happens as your not looking at the pipes when your pulling the brakes on.
I tend to do all my major maintenance, like stripping all the brakes down, changing all the fluids etc, during the winter when I'm not using the bike so it's all ready for our great summers :rollin
Admitted, I've recently only bought this bike but as I know the last two owners and know the service of it I'm fairly confident that all is good on it. Yes, we can't take everything for granted and brake failure is a horrible thing, it's so foccin scary when it happens. It's a matter of cling on, and hope all goes as best it can.

My bike was in a proper state when i got it, it had been used and abused, and dropped judging by the botch job repair on the fairing.
I think during this drop is where the damage to the braided line was caused, because i simply never thought they could go wrong.
A lot of time, effort, and dosh later i now have the bike in mechanically good nick, the only thing i still never got sorted was the fairing, but it's my commuter bike so it really doesn't bother me and isn't too noticeable anyway.
Plus, in the process of fixing stuff i've learnt a lot about the bike too so it was a great learning curve as well.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2015, 07:03:26 am »

My mind was on about the clutch cable when i mentioned buying an original Yamaha cable.
Brain fart.  :rolleyes

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2015, 10:52:21 am »
Similarly the front suspension benefits from fresh fork oil. Your rear shock-if OEM- will be "tired" by now.

I have OEM shock on my 03 Foxeye with ~35k miles now. Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong with it, but do you still recommend replacing it? If so, with what ?

If you're not a heavy braker there is a fair chance your lines could be okay, BUT, 12 years is a long time for anything, so it won't hurt to replace them.

I never changed my brake lines. It kinda spooked me when I read above that Haynes manual suggests replacing them every 4 years  :eek
It means I should've replaced them 3 times by now  :look
Where do I get those braided lines from, pretty please ?
« Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 10:54:39 am by Freza »

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2015, 12:39:29 pm »
Haha so it seems with good maintenance I could push out another 30k miles .. but for peace of mind and more effective braking power I think i'l treat myself to some HEL braided lines over the winter.
I'l plan the maintenance on front forks for that time too and think I may treat myself to an R6 shock from Kebab if he still has some by that time..

Anyone got the link for the HEL discount ? I have actually seen that page once before but can't seem to find it now.
Also what's the best recommended oil for front forks?  May actually sort that sometime soon.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 12:42:22 pm by odbguy »

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2015, 01:30:24 pm »

Also what's the best recommended oil for front forks?  May actually sort that sometime soon.

Me and many others recommend MOTUL Fork Oil Expert Medium / Heavy 15W.
You can read my opinions here.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 01:31:48 pm by Freza »

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2015, 03:36:03 pm »

Me and many others recommend MOTUL Fork Oil Expert Medium / Heavy 15W.
You can read my opinions here.

Nice one thanks very much Freeza .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2015, 03:40:44 pm »

I have OEM shock on my 03 Foxeye with ~35k miles now. Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong with it, but do you still recommend replacing it? If so, with what ?

I never changed my brake lines. It kinda spooked me when I read above that Haynes manual suggests replacing them every 4 years  :eek
It means I should've replaced them 3 times by now  :look
Where do I get those braided lines from, pretty please ?

Loads on Ebay.
It was the Goodridge one's that failed on my bike, why though i do not know so don't let that put you off them, they could well have suffered damage?
I opted for Venhill lines in the end, and they've been great, no complaints whatsoever.  :thumbup

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2015, 10:14:43 am »

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8879.25.html

Nice brake lines  :evil
Too bad you can't really see different color options, such as Carbolook vs. Black.