Date: 15-05-24  Time: 14:04 pm

Author Topic: See that Steve McQueen...that's me that is...  (Read 2170 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
See that Steve McQueen...that's me that is...
« on: 13 December 2013, 12:02:52 am »
Bought this ofn flebay for £2400, to clean up and sell on in the spring.. Trouble if I've had more. Fun with its 60 bhp on cold slippery roads than I ever could with me other bikes so it's going nowhere :)
Norman Hyde 900cc big bore, rear sets, open pipes, modded carbs and airbox and wider bars...you just cannot help but enjoy yourself onnit no matter what the weather..you can even lightly trail it as long as you avoid mud. I stay out til me face is frozen, home for a cuppa and defrost then a lame excuse to the missus to get it out again and freeze me tits of all over again..Christ it's fun :)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: See that Steve McQueen...that's me that is...
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2013, 06:19:04 am »
A good find Grommit !

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2013, 10:23:53 am »
Ive always liked them, nearly got a new one before i got the Fazer ( but unhelpful Jack Lillys made me walk away), that looks good for the money, does it need much as it looks clean and tidy??
Mark :)

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2013, 04:03:56 pm »
I want one!!!!   :'(

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2013, 10:19:57 pm »
many moon,s ago, a bloke up here used to motocross a Norton commando with the little sidecar up on the mountain, chunky tyres etc etc, a  cut of exhaust you could here it miles away. sorry got a bit lost there, nice bike mr mcqueen :)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2013, 09:50:26 am »
I Love It. I was looking at them a while back but thought it would feel underpowered and I tend to weigh bikes up on £'s per BHP when considering their worth. This is not always the way to think about it though, as on reflection I have had a lot more fun on some of the lower powered bikes I have owned. If I could buy one at the price you have paid I would probably still go for it. They are retro cool  ;)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2013, 10:33:32 am »
£2,400! Looks a nice bike at a bargin price. Nice to see its as black as your dog, too many of these retros have chrome this and that bolted on for my tastes, keep it dark and mean!

I love the older 900 Thunderbird Sports, but the ones I've seen in my local shop which deals in older Triumphs (Ramoto in Bournemouth) have attracted the chrome magnets and are nearly £6,000!

That bike looks just the thing for bimbling around country roads at a non sports bike pace and enjoying the day out. I had a Bonny as a courtesy bike when my Street Triple was being serviced and once you realized it has its own pace it was fun enough.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2013, 11:49:17 am »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2013, 01:11:32 pm »
Nice black rims on that one. Far more sensible than the have to keep it clean and shiney polished ones :lol

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2013, 05:44:03 pm »
What a sweet bike Sir Steve - would love one.

If the money was there I'd have this in a flash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-CLASSIC-TRIUMPH-BONNEVILLE-T100-CUSTOM-ONE-OFF-SPECIAL-FSH-ONE-OWNER-/301041209593?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item46177450f9

I wonder what those heat wraps on the downpipes are like in the rain, especially after using them all winter. Would they mark the pipes or keep them fresh. Anyone tried them for a long period?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2013, 07:40:47 pm »
What is the actual reason for having the heat wraps on the exhaust pipes?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2013, 07:56:10 pm »
I have no ideas, think it's summat to so with power but Christ knows how or why..the bloke I bought it off gave me some along with the stainless straps but I doubt I'll bother. The bike was cheap because it was scruffy and had 40, 000 miles up, but it runs great and makes far more sense to me than a chromed showpiece. I'll wash it tomorrow for the first time since I've had it, cover it in acf50 then use it all through winter and wash it again in the spring. The Hyde kit does make a difference, the site claims summat like 50 percent more power and 40 percent more torque, but whilst it deffo got a lot more bite than a stock bike I doubt it's that much. Feels closer to the difference a properly piped and jetted bike has over a stocker jap. I do love it, and I like just grunting about in that piss pot that used to be me dads. I took my fz1 to BSD in Peterborough this morning to get Pirelli diablos fitted, and on the dryish but cold ride back to. Norwich was able too have a bit of fun, but in truth I had more on the triumph the last few days especially green leaning lol. The fazer will make far more sense when springs here I guess, but the trumpets a keeper.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2013, 08:02:58 pm »
What is the actual reason for having the heat wraps on the exhaust pipes?

Wrapping increases the thermal retention within the pipes which subsequently speeds up exhaust flow. This characteristic slightly increases horsepower.

Wrapping the exhaust can also protect surrounding wiring and hoses from premature failure.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2013, 07:35:24 am »
I remember my first ride on a modern bonnie, its surprisingly good up to 90, when it runs out of puff a bit.It does have a charm, which IMO is best found on longer warm weather B road rides .
I get a similar feel from my GS...its great to get off the beaten track a bit , and just let the rythymn of the motor get to you. Alpine roads ar eits happy hunting grounds where the torque of the motor and the handling all gel so well together.

With both bikes it is an escape from the high speed frentic world of sportsbikes....its why I , like many others , found I need more than 1 bike in me garage. :)